NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing - (2 Viewers)

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:35

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:35
That claim is patently and absolutely false and shows your complete and utter ignorance of the science.
You're right. Time flies. It was actually 50 years ago.

Thanks CJ. It looks like we may have another 3,000 years of warming to look forward to before we drop into a freezer again.

1702479528355.png

Depending on how much warming we experience, we may lose Florida and some of our coastal cities and the Isthmus of Panama. Sorry Doc, New Orleans is a goner. Studying maps of the Earth's land mass over time shows that Florida is pretty tenuous as is the Mississippi delta. In fact, the center of North America was ocean and that is why we find ocean creature fossils there. What does this mean? Is it "normal" for Florida to be underwater? Seems to be. So, why would everyone be so upset about it returning to its "natural" state? I like Florida. I lived in Miami. I would hate to see it go but it is just not natural.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 02:35
You're right. Time flies. It was actually 50 years ago.

Thanks CJ. It looks like we may have another 3,000 years of warming to look forward to before we drop into a freezer again.

View attachment 111416

Depending on how much warming we experience, we may lose Florida and some of our coastal cities and the Isthmus of Panama. Sorry Doc, New Orleans is a goner. Studying maps of the Earth's land mass over time shows that Florida is pretty tenuous as is the Mississippi delta. In fact, the center of North America was ocean and that is why we find ocean creature fossils there. What does this mean? Is it "normal" for Florida to be underwater? Seems to be. So, why would everyone be so upset about it returning to its "natural" state? I like Florida. I lived in Miami. I would hate to see it go but it is just not natural.

the picture you posted is SOOOO relevant to what I keep saying about cycles, and mankind's perspective.

If you were born in January, by July you would think you were going to die of heat, right?? But once you realize you are in the middle of a CYCLE, you calm a bit.

technically speaking, mankind will never know, at any given time, if we happen to be in the middle of a the FIRST iteration of any cycle, because all we know are the more miniature cycles that have come before us. it takes a minute but think about this concept and I think it explains a lot of the hullabulloo and disagreement about climate change.

Some people think they have knowledge of all cycles that ever happen - those people are the climate alarmists, because dodgammit, I was born in winter and I see the temperature rising at an alarming pace! These people will have you selling out your soul and doing anything you're told because from all appearances, and in ignorance of the Cycle you're in, it would appear that by this coming November, you'll be burned to a crisp.

Other people recognize that they may have been born in the middle of a cycle, which will correct itself in time, or is unchangeable, like obviously most things about our solar system that we can't do anything about. These are the more cautious ones that are open to the issue, but not in absolutist terms.

murphybridget

Local time
Today, 17:35
It was technically a cornet, not a full-length trumpet, thought both play as B-flat instruments and have the same range. The cornet isn't QUITE as brassy as a true trumpet. I don't recall the brand name. Wasn't a King, but it WAS a brand that was commonly found in my junior-high school band, because I bought it used from them.

Organ is my best instrument but accordion was my FIRST instrument and trumpet came second in terms of learning.
The cornet has such a distinctive and mellow sound compared to the trumpet. It's impressive that you started with the accordion and then picked up both the organ and the cornet. How did you find the transition from accordion to the brass instruments?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:35
@murphybridget

The transition to brass was difficult because I had to build up an "lip" for the cup-mouth instrument and I never did quite manage fast triple-tongue technique. But my brass teacher of the time was in his 70s and chose to retire a couple of years later. Can't say I blame him, he was beginning to get a little decrepit and I think he was just getting tired. Shortly before he retired, circumstances brought a spinet organ into the home during summer when I was off from school and I learned to play with the new toy. That was the start of a long love affair with keyboards. I left trumpet behind and worked on my keyboards.

A local music dealership was affiliated with the Lowrey Organ Company and they sold that line of instruments. (Lowrey's parent company also made Story and Clark instruments, so it wasn't hard to find that line either.) My mom was invited by a friend and she won the door prize - one month "free" use of an organ in the home and 4 free lessons. Mom got the lessons but I was home all day and by the end of that month, I could play every hymn in the SongDex Hymnal. Mom started the sequence by upgrading to the next model of spinet. We started with the Lowrey Carnival model, then the Holiday and Brentwood models, then the Lowrey Lincolnwood. (Brentwood and Lincolnwood are neighborhoods in Chicago where the organ was made.) By then I was working, making good money. I started taking over the purchases and traded up the Lincolnwood for a Celebration (C-500) which was a Theater console. That thing could shake the house!

Lowrey took a direction I didn't like after that and when it was time to trade up again, I refused to buy the MX-1 because it was SO heavily invested in automation that I didn't like it at all. I didn't need the automation and it would have gotten in my way. So I switched to the Technics brand. Except for the time after Katrina, I had an organ in my home since I was 12 years old. The gap after Katrina was the only time I didn't have an organ, but six years later I found the replacement and I've still got it. If I ever hit it big in the lottery, I MIGHT upgrade one more time to a Wersi 3-manual model, but I'm not going to swear to that one.

murphybridget

Local time
Today, 17:35
@murphybridget

The transition to brass was difficult because I had to build up an "lip" for the cup-mouth instrument and I never did quite manage fast triple-tongue technique. But my brass teacher of the time was in his 70s and chose to retire a couple of years later. Can't say I blame him, he was beginning to get a little decrepit and I think he was just getting tired. Shortly before he retired, circumstances brought a spinet organ into the home during summer when I was off from school and I learned to play with the new toy. That was the start of a long love affair with keyboards. I left trumpet behind and worked on my keyboards.

A local music dealership was affiliated with the Lowrey Organ Company and they sold that line of instruments. (Lowrey's parent company also made Story and Clark instruments, so it wasn't hard to find that line either.) My mom was invited by a friend and she won the door prize - one month "free" use of an organ in the home and 4 free lessons. Mom got the lessons but I was home all day and by the end of that month, I could play every hymn in the SongDex Hymnal. Mom started the sequence by upgrading to the next model of spinet. We started with the Lowrey Carnival model, then the Holiday and Brentwood models, then the Lowrey Lincolnwood. (Brentwood and Lincolnwood are neighborhoods in Chicago where the organ was made.) By then I was working, making good money. I started taking over the purchases and traded up the Lincolnwood for a Celebration (C-500) which was a Theater console. That thing could shake the house!

Lowrey took a direction I didn't like after that and when it was time to trade up again, I refused to buy the MX-1 because it was SO heavily invested in automation that I didn't like it at all. I didn't need the automation and it would have gotten in my way. So I switched to the Technics brand. Except for the time after Katrina, I had an organ in my home since I was 12 years old. The gap after Katrina was the only time I didn't have an organ, but six years later I found the replacement and I've still got it. If I ever hit it big in the lottery, I MIGHT upgrade one more time to a Wersi 3-manual model, but I'm not going to swear to that one.
I too would retire when I reach my 70's no matter how much I love my hobby. Kudos to your effort in learning your hobby.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
It appears that the solar deployment is nearing a tipping point, with 1 billion a day being spent on solar installation.

This has been achieved not by shouty idiots jumping up and down shouting "stop oil" nor by a billionaire destroying farmers way of Life citing the animals and chemicals contributing to global warming.

No, It's been achieved by market forces, by capitalism....

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:35
It's been achieved by market forces, by capitalism....
Yes. And it is happening despite shouty idiots telling us that moving away from fossil fuels would send us back to the stone age.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:35
And it is happening despite shouty idiots telling us that moving away from fossil fuels would send us back to the stone age.

I am neither shouty nor an idiot, but I happen to believe that at least some of the push to end use of fossil fuels is premature and misdirected.

CO2 is NOT the only bug-a-boo in this story and never has been. Another problem is methane, for which the energy absorption/emission bands completely overlap CO2. It is also a gas for which industrial activity makes no particular difference since methane doesn't originate from combustion, but rather from organic decomposition. It originates from stuff tossed into land-fills and it originates from cow flatulence. And also from animal droppings in the forest. Yes, a bear DOES take a dump in the forest - and pollutes the air for us all. As the Earth moves out of the most recent Ice Age, we find that a lot of methane that was trapped in the permafrost is now coming out. Also coming out of the oceans.

Is it good to get away from CO2? I'll say YES to that. But the push to eliminate the internal combustion engine has just belly-flopped in the northern USA as folks have discovered the perils of using a chemically powered power source in frigid weather. A little thing called "enthalpy" governs chemical reaction rate responses to temperature, and a reduction/oxidation reaction (redox, if you prefer the shorthand) drops in speed/efficiency by about 50% every 10 degrees Celsius that the temperature drops. It is not a linear relation so not exactly 50%. And at this time, G, I am speaking as a PhD chemist.

Will moving away from fossil fuels send us back to the stone age? Yes, if we rush prematurely in that direction. No, if we bother to take enough time to verify that we don't do more harm than good in the direction we are going. Understand, G, I'm all in favor of helping the atmosphere which will in turn help us tremendously. But let's not get railroaded by alarmists who talk about one set of consequences but then ignore another set - so it seems, completely.

You want to know what REALLY is driving the problem? Population. And for people in less advanced cultures or in less affluent sections of various cultures, can you guess how they cook their food and heat their homes? Combustion of organic material - whether petroleum distillates, coal, or wood. I'll let YOU tell them that they can't heat up their baby's food tonight because it will put CO2 in the air.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The catastrophe in Texas last winter or the one before should be a wakeup call that solar/wind are not ready for prime time. Doesn't mean they won't ever be. Doesn't mean it isn't a worthwhile objective. Although as a consumer, I don't understand why if wind is free and sunshine is free, my cost of electricity is going up with these "free" power sources. I would expect my bill to be going down since the power company no longer has to buy coal or gas or oil.

1. batteries need to be better so that electricity can be stored. This is the weakest part of the system. Every thing is rosy as long as the sun is shining and the wind is blowing but come night or a lull, we are SOL. Tesla is working very hard to solve this problem.
2. the distribution system is insufficient for the increase in power draw when you remove the other fossil fuel sources. Otherwise, we'll be taking cold showers and eating raw meat (oops, I mean bugs), not to mention walking to work because there was no power to charge our car last night.
3. the distribution system is insecure and too susceptible to attack. Outages at the right spots could cascade to take out large sections of the grid as we have seen in the past with accidents.
4. the modern world is interconnected in complex ways. Disruptions in one spot can ripple through to make worse problems elsewhere. EV's weigh much more than gas powered vehicles. Replacing all gas powered vehicles with EV's will destroy our existing roads. Has anyone started funding the building of new stronger roads? Surely, if you can mandate only EVs in 5 years, you've thought of this and have a plan.
5. electric energy is not portable. You can't just bring a generator into a disaster area and plug it in. There is nothing to plug it in to. You need to bring the generator AND the fuel!!!!!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Although as a consumer, I don't understand why if wind is free and sunshine is free, my cost of electricity is going up with these "free" power sources.

Think about it in terms of farming. If you get a mummy and daddy cow, let nature take its course you end up with a free baby cow.

Do this enough times and you end up with a herd of cows for free.

The herd wanders around the field eating the grass which is growing with the aid of the free sunshine. I'm not sure how the wind contributes except to distribute the methane produced by the cows throughout the atmosphere increasing global warming!

But a very tiny portion of one of these cows, a sirloin steak costs the fortune!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I wish I owned a yacht and a private jet... So I could preach to the world
about climate change.
Like Harry and Megan, where Harry flies to his polo match in a private jet and then they lecture us on climate change.

Let's throw in John Kerry and his wife's private jet, and while he himself flies around in private jets.

Add in Lewis Hamilton, who had a private jet, his overalls are smothered in promotions of petrochemical companies and works in the most fuel hungry occupation you can imagine.

Or John Travolta who says we must all do our bit regarding climate change, whilst simultaneously owning 7 private jets.

Have these people no self-awareness?

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
You can put Taylor Swift in that category also. She flies around the world in a private jet to watch her boyfriend play football, then buys carbon offsets.

It's a scam for the little people who are easily persuaded.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Or John Travolta who says we must all do our bit regarding climate change, whilst simultaneously owning 7 private jets.
Was it John Travolta or Harrison Ford who took the kids out for burgers two states away on his jet?
It's a scam for the little people who are easily persuaded.
Why won't any of them buy the carbon offsets I'm trying to sell:(

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yes. And it is happening despite shouty idiots telling us that moving away from fossil fuels would send us back to the stone age.
They are right. It's not just moving away, it's blind government mandates to force the timetable.
Gizmo's point is the market worked - in its time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom