Not Enough memory or diskspace, text box 255 limit (1 Viewer)

GT_engineer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:10
I am trying to increase a text box field size from 64 characters to 100. I know text fields can hold 255 characters, but whenever I make the change and try to save it, a warning pops up.

"Not enough diskspace or memory"

Any idea why?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 09:10
Yep, even though Access can handle 255 fields, the amount of data in the fields, except memo fields, still can't exceed the "page size" of 4Kb per record. So, depending on what you are trying to store, you could be hitting that limit.

Last edited:

GT_engineer

Registered User.
Local time
Each record contains an autonumber, 5 number fields, a date/Time field, and 4 text fields.

I wouldn't think this would be too demanding seeing how I have another table with an autonumber, 6 number fields, 6 date/time fields, 7 text fields, and 30 Yes/No fields.

my understanding, Access uses the same amount of memory for a text field regardless if its using 1 character or 255 characters?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
my understanding, Access uses the same amount of memory for a text field regardless if its using 1 character or 255 characters?
And that would actually be incorrect. Access doesn't pad things like the SQL Server Data Type Char.

So are you trying to change the size of the field while all objects are closed except that table?

GT_engineer

Registered User.
Local time
Yes to my knowledge myself nor any other user was in the database. If there was one, I get a warning saying its read mode only.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Each record contains an autonumber, 5 number fields, a date/Time field, and 4 text fields.

I wouldn't think this would be too demanding seeing how I have another table with an autonumber, 6 number fields, 6 date/time fields, 7 text fields, and 30 Yes/No fields.
The fact you have another table with more fields is irrelevant. It is what is stored in the fields which matters more than how many. A number field with a large number is going to take up more room than a number with 1,000 in it. And the text fields can add up to, especially if they happen to be storing data as Unicode characters.

GT_engineer

Registered User.
Local time
so from the sound of things I may be screwed. Any suggestions? I can try to reduce the size of the other text fields, but that might only buy me a character or two.

Last edited:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Can you make a copy of the table, try to make the change and if it squawks at you see if emptying it and then changing does it. If that happens then it is your data.

GT_engineer

Registered User.
Local time
will try it monday, have a good weekend. thanks for the quick replies

GT_engineer

Registered User.
Local time
I copied the table and changed the text field to 100 characters no problem, no messages or warnings. I dont know why i was able to change the copied version but not the original version.

Last edited:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I copied the table and changed the text field to 100 characters no problem, no messages or warnings. I dont know why i was able to change the copied version but not the original version.
Maybe a little corruption creeping in.

GT_engineer

Registered User.
Local time
seems like it. So i changed the copied version, deleted the original, and renamed the copy version to match the name of the original. Everything seems to be working now, thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom