Not Obeying Tab Stops (1 Viewer)

LarryE

Local time
Today, 03:00
As mentioned above, my problem has been solved thanks to LarryE's suggestion to set the Tab stop to No. But I would like to ask 2 more questions.

1. The Tab stop for that button was Tab index 23. For the form to work correctly when inputting data, it only had to got to Tab index 6. What was the reason, if there is a logical answer, it jumped over all the Tab stops between 6 and landed on tab stop 23?

2. First let me state I use Microsoft 365 so all the Office programs are always kept up to date. My problem is when I was creating the control buttons on the 5 forms I wanted to, I would first click on the Use Control Wizards option and then click on the Button control. I would then paste that button into the form. Always the first time I did this it would not open the Control Wizard. I had to delete the newly created button and repeat the exact same process to get the Control Wizard to open. It would always open on the second attempt. Any idea why this consistently happened and if it could be somehow corrected?
1692980778193.png

1. The forms Tab order is determined by each individual contorls Tab Index setting starting at 0 and continuing numerically for each control that has its Tab Stop setting set to YES. If you want MOVIE TITLE to be the first Tab Stop when the form opens, then set its Tab Index to 0. If TAPE NUMBER is next, then its Tab Index should be 1, LOCATION is 2 and so on. When a form opens, it goes to the lowest Tab Index. If you only want the 6 input fields to be selected when the Tab key is pressed, then set those 6 controls Tab Stop properties to Yes and all others to No.
  2. The Use Control Wizards is an ON-OFF switch so each time you click it, it changes. If you want to use it each time you select a control to add to a form, then switch it ON and don't click it again.

hlewton

Local time
Today, 06:00
View attachment 109578
  1. The forms Tab order is determined by each individual contorls Tab Index setting starting at 0 and continuing numerically for each control that has its Tab Stop setting set to YES. If you want MOVIE TITLE to be the first Tab Stop when the form opens, then set its Tab Index to 0. If TAPE NUMBER is next, then its Tab Index should be 1, LOCATION is 2 and so on. When a form opens, it goes to the lowest Tab Index. If you only want the 6 input fields to be selected when the Tab key is pressed, then set those 6 controls Tab Stop properties to Yes and all others to No.
  2. The Use Control Wizards is an ON-OFF switch so each time you click it, it changes. If you want to use it each time you select a control to add to a form, then switch it ON and don't click it again.
Let's talk about number 2 Because I understand what you said about the Tab stops but it is still strange that it jumped from Tab stop 5 to Tab Stop 23. Anyway you got it working for me. Thanks so much

#2. If on opening the database and immediately going to and clicking the Use Control Wizard is supposed to turn it on, that is what it isn't doing. I have to click it and then choose the box, paste the box into the form and the Control Wizard does not open. I then have to delete the box I just pasted and repeat the process of once again clicking on the Use Control Wizards and once more clicking on the box. This time when I paste it into the form, the Control Wizard does open. I don't think I am doing anything incorrectly but Access is acting strange in that, as described, I have to perform the process twice to use the Control Wizard.

LarryE

Local time
If on opening the database and immediately going to and clicking the Use Control Wizard is supposed to turn it on
No. It remains ON or OFF until you change it. It does not change when you open the database. Turn it ON or OFF and leave it alone.

And I have some other comments not related to your current issues. You are going to have other more serious issues if you don't re-build this application correctly. You have the same records in multiple tables and tables and forms that should not have been created in the first place. This is a relational database and you are not using it as such. In other words, you are building a house with no foundation.

If you wish, I am more than happy to help design it properly. Tracking an inventory of movies, TV shows and TV Series shows is not complex but you do need to design it properly first or you will have nothing but problems in the future. If you will attach your file, I am more than happy to look at what you have and design a ACCESS application that is usable. Just let me know.

hlewton

Local time
Maybe that switch is on and I don't know it. In any case I eventually got it to work.

I like your offer but I must say my database has served me well for at least the last 25 years. I am assuming I have to figure out how to use my WinZip program and zip this file. However, I do have concerns about placing it in such a public space. Let me think about this for a moment.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I believe my problem has been solved by the suggestion above to turn the TAB stop off for that particular form.
As the others have said - adding a tab control will not stop the form from working.
Maybe that switch is on and I don't know it. In any case I eventually got it to work.
Once the wizard activates - STOP CHANGING THE SETTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are toggling it off and on and totally confusing yourself. Once it is on, it STAYS on.

hlewton

Local time
As the others have said - adding a tab control will not stop the form from working.

Once the wizard activates - STOP CHANGING THE SETTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are toggling it off and on and totally confusing yourself. Once it is on, it STAYS on.
OK, let me ask this, is there any indication that the switch is on? How am I to know whether it is on or off?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have never turned it off. I don't even know where the setting is. I just looked through all the settings I could find and I don't see any option that turns the wizards on and off. There may have been one in old versions but I don't see on in O365. The default when you install Access is probably "on".

What version of Access are you using? Please post a picture of the button you are pressing. Make sure there is enough context so that I can find it in my version of Access.

LarryE

Local time
I have never turned it off. I don't even know where the setting is. I just looked through all the settings I could find and I don't see any option that turns the wizards on and off. There may have been one in old versions but I don't see on in O365. The default when you install Access is probably "on".

What version of Access are you using? Please post a picture of the button you are pressing. Make sure there is enough context so that I can find it in my version of Access.
Form Design>>Controls Dropdown arrow:
1693055152499.png

ON (Icon highlighted):
1693054807144.png

OFF (Icon Not Highlighted):
1693054893850.png

hlewton

Local time
LarryE posted exactly what I would have. I am using whatever is the very latest version of Microsoft 365. Please see the attachment.
Version1.jpg

hlewton

Local time
OK I just ran a quick test and you guys are correct, once that Use Control Wizard's switch is activated, it stays activated even after closing Access and then reopening it. Also, even after opening an entirely different database. I really was confusing it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
That's not what I see.
1693058313314.png

Looks like I'm a little ahead of you plus, i have 32 bit installed.
1693058370583.png

There you go, now I see it. You have to drop down the objects list. Looks like mine has a square around wizard wand. I can't capture a picture of it. My print screen seems to be ignoring me at the moment.

Mike Krailo

Local time
hlewton, I would take Larry up on his offer, you might be pleasantly surprised how much better a properly designed system functions. Especially when it comes to reporting capabilities.

And Pat, thanks for posting your version. I didn't know there was a newer version out. I'm on 2307 still.
1693059694442.png

hlewton

Local time
hlewton, I would take Larry up on his offer, you might be pleasantly surprised how much better a properly designed system functions. Especially when it comes to reporting capabilities.

And Pat, thanks for posting your version. I didn't know there was a newer version out. I'm on 2307 still.
View attachment 109598
I have been over this type of situation before. As far as I know, everything I use is automatically updated but I do believe I can force an update. I may try that now.

I believe Larry would see that I was such an amateur.

LarryE

Local time

View attachment 109598
He has Mike. I have the file. He was using it like a word-processor to just keep different lists of the same information. No Primary or Foreign keys or RI obviously. I'll make it right for him.

LarryE

Local time
I have been over this type of situation before. As far as I know, everything I use is automatically updated but I do believe I can force an update. I may try that now.

By the way Harold, what are "Unsaved Movies"? You have a table called that.

hlewton

Local time

I have no idea why my Microsoft 365 had not automatically updated but I just did it manually. The Use Control Wizards is still in the same place.
Updated.jpg
Wizzard.jpg

hlewton

Local time
By the way Harold, what are "Unsaved Movies"? You have a table called that.
They are Movies I have watched and choose not to save for any future viewing. As you may have seen already and guessed, I created this database when DVDs were not heard of and VHS tapes were the current thing. That is why the second field on all the input forms lists Tape Number as its name. In using tapes I usually got 3 movies per tape depending on the length of the movie. If I remember correctly, when entering DVD is that field I managed use that input to create a query to distinguish between tapes and DVDs.

LarryE

Local time
They are Movies I have watched and choose not to save for any future viewing. As you may have seen already and guessed, I created this database when DVDs were not heard of and VHS tapes were the current thing. That is why the second field on all the input forms lists Tape Number as its name. In using tapes I usually got 3 movies per tape depending on the length of the movie. If I remember correctly, when entering DVD is that field I managed use that input to create a query to distinguish between tapes and DVDs.
OK. Do you have a reason to keep that information?

hlewton

Local time
Yes, so I don't have to watch them again. Between it and those I have saved, I have a very complete list of movies I have watched over the last 25 years or so. That is actually what started this whole thing about me revisiting my database design. I had forgotten how to design that control button that opens all the Unsaved movies. I was about to order a movie from Netflix before they go out of business and I wanted an easy way to check if I had already seen it or not. It serves me the same way that the Open All Search button does because I know that search lists only those movies I have saved in one manner or another. I had the Unsaved Movie Table but had no way to quickly search it, except manually opening it. The Unsaved Movies was an after thought and I never imagined it growing to the size it is at now. So, yes I do use that and the new search of that table.

LarryE

Local time
Yes, so I don't have to watch them again. Between it and those I have saved, I have a very complete list of movies I have watched over the last 25 years or so. That is actually what started this whole thing about me revisiting my database design. I had forgotten how to design that control button that opens all the Unsaved movies. I was about to order a movie from Netflix before they go out of business and I wanted an easy way to check if I had already seen it or not. It serves me the same way that the Open All Search button does because I know that search lists only those movies I have saved in one manner or another. I had the Unsaved Movie Table but had no way to quickly search it, except manually opening it. The Unsaved Movies was an after thought and I never imagined it growing to the size it is at now. So, yes I do use that and the new search of that table.
OK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom