not working in spain (1 Viewer)

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:11
i have an update in some VBA that works perfectly for me but when testing on a spanish network i get a syntax error(3144).
The only thing that looks different is updating a number
In the UK version I get number = me.number where me.number is 2.35
In the Spanish version I get number = me.number where me.number is 2,35
How can I stop this.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 09:11
In windows under Regional Settings, Additional Settings you can change the decimal symbol.

deletedT

Local time
Check control panel's Currency setting and see if Decimal Symbol is set correctly.

Edit:MajP you beat me:)

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
In windows under Regional Settings, Additional Settings you can change the decimal symbol.

Is there anyway to do this so it works on my laptop and in Spanish network without doing that. If I change it on their network then other systems may not work. Be good if . and , were treated the same in access.

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
So if I look at the table on my laptop I can see data held as nn.nnn
If I copy the table to the Spanish network it looks like nn,nnn so why can't I update to number = nn,nnn
Access can obviously differentiate between regions until I update. I could inderstand if i was trying to update spanish side with nn.nnn.
It's ludicrous
I don't want to change control panel as it will screw all their other data up there must be something else I can do

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:11
Hi. I get the impression that you are executing an UPDATE query using VBA, is this correct? Just as a test, try creating an UPDATE query like so:
Code:
UPDATE TableName SET NumberField=2,35
and execute it in the Spanish version. Does it work?

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. I get the impression that you are executing an UPDATE query using VBA, is this correct? Just as a test, try creating an UPDATE query like so:
Code:
UPDATE TableName SET NumberField=2,35
and execute it in the Spanish version. Does it work?

Yes I am an no it doesn't

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes I am an no it doesn't
So, to my mind, that sort of explains the problem. You are trying to update a numeric field and Access couldn't decipher the value with a comma. As another test, create another query as such:
Code:
UPDATE TableName SET NumberField=Forms!FormName.ControlName
In this case, put in a form's textbox the value 2,35 and let's see if this works or not.

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
...and if i change it to 2.35 it works but it is then held as 2,35 and displayed as 2,35 and if i update it it fails because it's 2,35

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
...and if i change it to 2.35 it works but it is then held as 2,35 and displayed as 2,35 and if i update it it fails because it's 2,35
Hi. Did you try what I suggested last? Basically, I wanted to change SET Field=2,35 to Field=FormReference. Depending on your result, I was going to request next for you to use a Table Field reference. For example SET T1.Field=T2.Field, where T2.Field would contain 2,35. My thinking was, if Access doesn't like seeing a literal value with a comma, I was hoping it wouldn't mind it so much if the value is being pulled from a stored location.

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
So, to my mind, that sort of explains the problem. You are trying to update a numeric field and Access couldn't decipher the value with a comma. As another test, create another query as such:
Code:
UPDATE TableName SET NumberField=Forms!FormName.ControlName
In this case, put in a form's textbox the value 2,35 and let's see if this works or not.

I've sort of done that already.
I've got a form that are the sales items.
On the spanish network all the figures are n,nn. If I try and out n.nn in the price I get it translated to nnn,00 so I HAVE to put n,nn. Looking at the table it is stored as n,nn. When I close the form I update a sales record on a different table with the totals on the sales items form.
So
UPDATE sales SET with sumprice = me.sumprice, sumtax = me.sumtax, where salesid = me.salesid

Me.sumprice and me.sumtax have n,nn in them in them.
Catch 22 all over it

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I've sort of done that already.
I've got a form that are the sales items.
On the spanish network all the figures are n,nn. If I try and out n.nn in the price I get it translated to nnn,00 so I HAVE to put n,nn. Looking at the table it is stored as n,nn. When I close the form I update a sales record on a different table with the totals on the sales items form.
So
UPDATE sales SET with sumprice = me.sumprice, sumtax = me.sumtax, where salesid = me.salesid

Me.sumprice and me.sumtax have n,nn in them in them.
Catch 22 all over it
Hi. If I understand it correctly, the two approaches are not the same. As I said earlier, I had a feeling you were using VBA. So, if you construct a SQL statement with field=Me.control, then the SQL statement will actually have field=2,35. What I want to figure out is if Access will be happy with not seeing the literal value. Noticed I didn't use Me in my suggestion but Forms!FormName instead.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 09:11
Found this on the internet. You could test for the decimal character
Code:
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Private Declare PtrSafe Function GetLocaleInfo Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetLocaleInfoA" (ByVal Locale As Long, ByVal LCType As Long, ByVal lpLCData As String, ByVal cchData As Long) As Long

Private Const LOCALE_USER_DEFAULT = &H400
Private Const LOCALE_SDECIMAL As Long = &HE
Private Const LOCALE_ILDATE As Long = &H22
Private Const LOCALE_ICOUNTRY As Long = &H5
Private Const LOCALE_SENGCOUNTRY = &H1002 ' English name of country
Private Const LOCALE_SENGLANGUAGE = &H1001  ' English name of language
Private Const LOCALE_SNATIVELANGNAME = &H4  ' native name of language
Private Const LOCALE_SNATIVECTRYNAME = &H8  ' native name of country

Public Function GetInfo(ByVal lInfo As Long) As String
    Dim Buffer As String
    Dim Ret As String
    Buffer = String$(256, 0)
    Ret = GetLocaleInfo(LOCALE_USER_DEFAULT, lInfo, Buffer, Len(Buffer))
    If Ret > 0 Then
        GetInfo = Left$(Buffer, Ret - 1)
    Else
        GetInfo = ""
    End If
End Function

Private Sub testit()
   ' MsgBox "You live in " & GetInfo(LOCALE_SENGCOUNTRY) & _
   ' " (" & GetInfo(LOCALE_SNATIVECTRYNAME) & ")," & vbCrLf & "and you speak " & GetInfo(LOCALE_SENGLANGUAGE) & _
   ' " (" & GetInfo(LOCALE_SNATIVELANGNAME) & ").", vbInformation 'WORKS CORRECTLY
   ' MsgBox ("UserDefault: " & GetInfo(LOCALE_USER_DEFAULT)) 'STILL EMPTY STRING
    MsgBox ("SDecimal: " & GetInfo(LOCALE_SDECIMAL)) 'RETURNS "."
   ' MsgBox ("ILDate: " & GetInfo(LOCALE_ILDATE))     'RETURNS "0"
   ' MsgBox ("Country: " & GetInfo(LOCALE_ICOUNTRY))  'RETURNS "1"
End Sub

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
ryetee,

On a lark, can you try using FORMAT( Me.Control, "###.00") to see if that removes the offending comma?

SQL is expecting to be passed text that it can parse. FORMAT( ) should let you put your number in the right format for SQL to understand.

Last edited:

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. If I understand it correctly, the two approaches are not the same. As I said earlier, I had a feeling you were using VBA. So, if you construct a SQL statement with field=Me.control, then the SQL statement will actually have field=2,35. What I want to figure out is if Access will be happy with not seeing the literal value. Noticed I didn't use Me in my suggestion but Forms!FormName instead.

ok so
UPDATE sales SET with sumprice = forms!salesitem.sumprice?

Can I use formname as I'm using instances so don't know wht the form is called!

Anyway I'll give it ago

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Found this on the internet. You could test for the decimal character
Code:
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Private Declare PtrSafe Function GetLocaleInfo Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetLocaleInfoA" (ByVal Locale As Long, ByVal LCType As Long, ByVal lpLCData As String, ByVal cchData As Long) As Long

Private Const LOCALE_USER_DEFAULT = &H400
Private Const LOCALE_SDECIMAL As Long = &HE
Private Const LOCALE_ILDATE As Long = &H22
Private Const LOCALE_ICOUNTRY As Long = &H5
Private Const LOCALE_SENGCOUNTRY = &H1002 ' English name of country
Private Const LOCALE_SENGLANGUAGE = &H1001  ' English name of language
Private Const LOCALE_SNATIVELANGNAME = &H4  ' native name of language
Private Const LOCALE_SNATIVECTRYNAME = &H8  ' native name of country

Public Function GetInfo(ByVal lInfo As Long) As String
    Dim Buffer As String
    Dim Ret As String
    Buffer = String$(256, 0)
    Ret = GetLocaleInfo(LOCALE_USER_DEFAULT, lInfo, Buffer, Len(Buffer))
    If Ret > 0 Then
        GetInfo = Left$(Buffer, Ret - 1)
    Else
        GetInfo = ""
    End If
End Function

Private Sub testit()
   ' MsgBox "You live in " & GetInfo(LOCALE_SENGCOUNTRY) & _
   ' " (" & GetInfo(LOCALE_SNATIVECTRYNAME) & ")," & vbCrLf & "and you speak " & GetInfo(LOCALE_SENGLANGUAGE) & _
   ' " (" & GetInfo(LOCALE_SNATIVELANGNAME) & ").", vbInformation 'WORKS CORRECTLY
   ' MsgBox ("UserDefault: " & GetInfo(LOCALE_USER_DEFAULT)) 'STILL EMPTY STRING
    MsgBox ("SDecimal: " & GetInfo(LOCALE_SDECIMAL)) 'RETURNS "."
   ' MsgBox ("ILDate: " & GetInfo(LOCALE_ILDATE))     'RETURNS "0"
   ' MsgBox ("Country: " & GetInfo(LOCALE_ICOUNTRY))  'RETURNS "1"
End Sub

I saw that too but I've got fields using decimal points all over the place so this would be painful to implement

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
ryetee,

On a lark, can you try using FORMAT( Me.Control, "###.00") to see if that removes the offending comma?

SQL is expecting to be passed text that it can parse. FORMAT( ) should let you put your number in the right format for SQL to understand.

OK was also thinking along that idea but I'm using this all over the place (controls holding a decimal) so it's going to be a pain the the you know what.
Surely access can be used in multiple regions without this. The field itself is coming off the table in that format

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
ok so
UPDATE sales SET with sumprice = forms!salesitem.sumprice?

Can I use formname as I'm using instances so don't know wht the form is called!

Anyway I'll give it ago
Hi. For now, we're just testing. So, create a single instance form and try it out. If it works, we'll tackle the problem with multiple instances of the form. Also, might as well try the other idea I was going to suggest. That is, rather than use a form, use another table where the value to use for the update is stored. Again, this is just to test if Access can handle references instead of literal values.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
OK was also thinking along that idea but I'm using this all over the place (controls holding a decimal) so it's going to be a pain the the you know what.
Surely access can be used in multiple regions without this. The field itself is coming off the table in that format

Alternate would be to use fnAnySQL, a nice bit of code Arnel put together. That should allow you to avoid regional issues.

Yes, your posterior will be sore for a bit, but it should avoid these kinds of issues going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom