Oh baby, baby...

I'll bet a donut that I am the only one on this forum that went to the original Indian factory. (Springfield, MA) (1947) Also seen a marriage ceremony on two Indian Scouts. (1952 Laconia, NH)

I'll bet a donut that I am the only one on this forum that went to the original Indian factory. (Springfield, MA) (1947) Also seen a marriage ceremony on two Indian Scouts. (1952 Laconia, NH)
I've been there. I worked down the street from it. It's apts now.

Here's the guy I bought my bike from at the factory.

A Hardly Driveable is a terrible overpriced rubbish bike. They are unreliable and you can't use them in the rain or wintertime as the salt on roads corrodes the engine and chrome. If you're desperate for a cruiser style bike, get a Japanese one, I had a kawasaki vulcan and it was fab, in fact, I took my bike test on it.
Col
Vulcan is superb! Do not know much about built quality of HD. However, in my country, riding a HD in 40C.+ temperature is in-practical.
I have read so many posts on Bike forum about people selling their HDs due to unpleasant riding experience.

I am very fond of motorcycles since childhood. Since this is mainly Access forum, I was bit hesitant about expressing my views here.
But post reading all the above posts, I have some courage now. :)

In the last one decade, I had few motorcycles and scooters. I enjoyed them all.
Riding gives me freedom; it is my rewind activity.
One thing I missed sorely during covid lockdowns were ride back to home from the office at day end.

Though fortunately am a motorcycle enthusiast, primary mode of transport in my country is two-wheeler.
Being a motorcycle enthusiast is just plus point for me. We have just 22 cars per thousand people here.

From the above posts, I get an impression, I might be wrong too.
That in USA, motorcycling is mainly a lifestyle product. It is kind of sport activity to indulge in.
Certainly not a primary commuter purpose. Or is it both commuter and sport activity too.

If the Water Cooler forum can accept posts on Genital Mutilation and Sexual Orientation, then motor cycles is pretty tame.
Yes, that thread was instrumental for expressing my views. :)

From the above posts, I get an impression, I might be wrong too.
That in USA, motorcycling is mainly a lifestyle product. It is kind of sport activity to indulge in.
Certainly not a primary commuter purpose. Or is it both commuter and sport activity too.
It depends where you live. My motorcycle season runs from around late May to just around now. Too cold in the mornings to ride now.

I take my bike to work every chance I get. The only impediment is the forecast. I also have to travel frequently during the day and I don't have anyone looking over my shoulder as to where I am so I get to take "the long way" wherever I go. Living in the mountains with no traffic to speak of, I get to take some amazing rides. It kind of takes the "work" out of work.

'Living in the mountains with no traffic to speak of' that is the best topography one can have for riding.
Just the quiet roads, amazing nature and you with your bike.
Have a nice day ahead. :)

Since this is mainly Access forum, I was bit hesitant about expressing my views here.
But post reading all the above posts, I have some courage now.
Confirming what Cronk said, this is the thing about AWF that I find appealing.

...in USA, motorcycling is mainly a lifestyle product. It is kind of sport activity to indulge in.
I would agree. I have lived in Japan, Spain and Italy and the number of two-wheeled motorizes vehicles (TWMV) used for primary transportation is much greater than here in the USA. There are a number of reasons for this I reckon, but in my opinion, I contribute it to:
1. There is really no advantage to riding over driving. Most states do not allow TWMV "lane splitting" (driving between cars to a traffic light)
2. Our roads are much wider and newer than most older countries
3. Businesses do not provide TWMV parking areas like other countries do
4. Laws or too restrictive (in some states) to make it fun

1. There is really no advantage to riding over driving. Most states do not allow TWMV "lane splitting" (driving between cars to a traffic light)
You have to get caught first. :cool:
Much easier to get ahead of traffic on a bike.

3. Businesses do not provide TWMV parking areas like other countries do
But you can park in areas that cars cant.

4. Laws or too restrictive (in some states) to make it fun
I ride down into Connecticut occasionally (no, not to visit Pat) which has no helmet law. I must say it does not feel right to ride without a helmet.

I must say it does not feel right to ride without a helmet.
I hear you. They are optional in Italy and although I did do it on occasion, it felt REALLY weird
But you can park in areas that cars cant.
Not here in VA. They have to be in approved MC parking or in a regular parking spot. The good thing is that businesses are given a lot of latitude when it comes to parking lots for their establishment. Places like Wally-World have HUGE concrete aprons that would work great, but if you park on it - or even ride on it - all hell breaks loose (if you aren't quick enough!)

I ride down into Connecticut occasionally (no, not to visit Pat)
I think you two would get along fine IRL. Both of you are capable of sharing opposing views like responsible adults...

but if you park on it - or even ride on it - all hell breaks loose (if you aren't quick enough!)
For reasons left unsaid, I never get issued tickets! (knocks on wood) :cool:

edit: Actually about 10 years ago I got a ticket and filed to fight it. As I walked into the courtroom, the judge just said "Dismissed" before I could even breach the bar or say a word.

@NauticalGent

still-waiting-where-are-you.gif

Yeah...about that...

She told them that she didn't want to take a test drive until she was ready to buy...

I explained to her that the purpose of a test drive was in fact to GET you to that point. She wouldn't budge so there you have it.

I could have argued a bit more but I choose which hill I die on VERY carefully.

Maybe you could venture down this way and take her for ride...?

It's 38 degrees this morning. Ain't happening till spring.

I didn't even test drive before buying mine. Sat on one in the showroom. Went back 2 days later with a check in hand.
They delivered it to my house 2 weeks later. I did visit it when they were taking it out of the shipping crate before final assembly.
A little impulsive but Y.O.L.O.

Just remember X-Mas is coming. You could just surprise her. :sneaky:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom