Outlook 2010 Macro to open an accdb file (1 Viewer)

Salbrox

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:00
Hi I need to to open a accdb Access Database (2010) when I receive certain emails. I have a macro that needs to run before opening the accdb and I cannot change the order in which the outlook rule runs (the rule can open an application but not after running a script!) I have a rule set up and thought that a VBA script using Application.Followhyperlink or a Shell("Path to accdb file") command would work and neither appear to be supported!

Does anybody know of a way that I could do this? Im at the verge of pulling my hair out right now.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Salbrox, your description might not be completely clear..

What is the rule you have? Does the email have a Link? Or does it have the file? How do you obtain the path of the Access File?

Salbrox

Registered User.
Local time
The accdb file is always in the same folder on my C: drive. The rule moves emails with a specific subject (containing "IFF") into a folder in my inbox called IFF. It then runs a macro which copies excel attachements from the email in the IFF folder to a folder on my C: drive (C:\iff) After this is when i want to open the accdb file. When the accdb file opens it searches that folder for excel files and automatically imports them to a linked database and then closes.

I can't find anywhere online that will describe how to open a file from Outlook. I thought I could use Application.FollowHyperlink in a VBA macro but i can't and either Shell() is not supported or im getting the syntax wrong.

Thanks for your response btw i really appreciate any help i get on this!

Salbrox

Registered User.
Local time
I did it!
Code:
Public Sub saveAttachtoDisk(itm As Outlook.MailItem)
Dim objAtt As Outlook.Attachment
Dim saveFolder As String
Dim cmd As String
saveFolder = "C:\IFF\ATTCH"
    For Each objAtt In itm.Attachments
        objAtt.SaveAsFile saveFolder & "\" & objAtt.DisplayName
        Set objAtt = Nothing
    Next
    cmd = "msaccess " & Chr(34) & "C:\IFF\IFF.accdb" & Chr(34) & " " 'Opens the database
    Status = Shell(cmd, vbNormalFocus)
End Sub

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Sorry about not replying earlier, I normally do not go online over the weekend.. But, am glad you have it all sorted.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom