Parliment Declines Syria Involement (1 Viewer)

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:43
I don't think (m)any sane people on the British mainland would have described the bombing campaign of IRA as "naughty".

Even if it's just that all the trains have been cancelled, let alone something much worse, and you facing a 2 / 3 journey by bus "naughty" is just not an adjective that instinctively springs to mind.

"F*cking Jerks" would probably also have been a suitable name for those people (I use the term loosely) who thought nothing of putting a dollar in the NORAID tin to help the poor oppressed Irish.

Compared to the IRA our homegrown "terrorists" seemed like a bunch of amateurs.

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Thank you I agree with that, if somebody else would have stepped up and called him out we could have avoided messing up Steve R thread. I get no pleasure out of hijacking some ones else's threads or dropping the F bomb. I also think pbaldy did a nice job editing my expletive, he left the context of my message without injecting his own social commentary. Oh and the <Deleted> looks like my control needs to be refreshed literally.

The hijack would have been avoided if you had not responded to Col's inane post, but then a few posts later you implied that I agreed with Col's comments when I had not even mentioned al Qaeda, you really should not try to put words into other people's mouths.
I find it sad that you think using foul language is a legitimate way to get a response.

Brian

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
I wonder how these people from Warrington (Merseyside) would have reacted if some (Irish) Americans started joking about the IRA bombers just being "naughty"?

Warrington recalls IRA bombing 20 years on
Hundreds of people in Warrington have gathered to remember an IRA bomb attack which killed two boys 20 years ago.

Johnathan Ball, three, died when two bombs hidden in litter bins detonated on Bridge Street on 20 March 1993. Tim Parry, 12, died five days later.
Just before the minute's silence, Tim Parry's mother Wendy released 20 doves into the sky, and 20 balloons were released by the Ball family.

Deputy leader of Warrington Council Mike Hannon said: "It's a huge occasion for Warrington and it is showing everybody that Warrington has responded positively to what happened 20 years ago.

"The incident in Bridge Street, it shocked the country, it shocked the world. We were all asking the question why?

"We can look back now, today is a commemoration event and there is many things we can celebrate with what we've achieved."

... I find it sad that you think using foul language is a legitimate way to get a response.

It it had been in real life the response would probably have been a beating, or at least a punch in the face, followed by a court appearance for someone.

Using a single adjective, albeit a profanity, was probably quite restrained.

Last edited:

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
To be honest, rather than being sensitive, I find the decades of IRA bombings more of a useful counterpoint to the 9/11 attack.

Where some in the UK fail to understand the pain caused to America by the 9/11 attack it's useful to find something that they can relate to like the Warrington bombing.

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I find the way you and col speak to be sad. Unless your helping someone with Excel, you and col are on a single minded mission.

Would you care to tell me what my mission is?

You link me with Col but I did say that his post was inane, it was so obviously designed to provoke that the only obvious and sensible thing todo was to ignore it.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I wonder how these people from Warrington (Merseyside) would have reacted if some (Irish) Americans started joking about the IRA bombers just being "naughty"?

Warrington recalls IRA bombing 20 years on

It it had been in real life the response would probably have been a beating, or at least a punch in the face, followed by a court appearance for someone.

Using a single adjective, albeit a profanity, was probably quite restrained.

Surely the point is that as we are communicating by the written word we have time to compose ourselves .

Brian

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
People certainly expect posters to compose themselves, even when replying to something that is deserving of a profane rich reply.

There are some who just like to bait and explode in self righteous indignation when people bite.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Your newly added last sentence confirms how sensible The Doc is

Col, nobody answers your questions because you make them confrontational in nature and we have learned not to bite. One should never feed a troll under a bridge, either. Not that I consider you a troll, but rather I was comparing two things that folks should not do.

Accessblaster should try the same trick and not be selective about it once he has responded.

Brian

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:43
Col, on a different subject, I hope you enjoy your trip to Portland, Oregon. It is a lovely city with picturesque scenes all around it. The Columbia River gorge is an example of a rugged American Western river. Depending on the time you have, if you visit Yakima, Washington to the east of the city, you can find some of the best apples you have ever eaten - but that is a far enough drive that it might be impractical and I understand time constraints when on travel.

If you have not been to Portland before, may I respectfully suggest that you visit the Rose Garden in one of the City's municipal parks? If you have the time, of course. It should be easy to find on any city "tourist" map that shows the significant features. I enjoyed my visit there some years ago. By now, Mt. St. Helens has grown green again, though it was a bit more barren when I was there (right after it "blew its top.") I don't know if you are a flower fancier but if you are, the garden is exquisite. Whether you and I agree on all issues or not, I bear you no ill will and wish you a pleasant visit.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Thanks Doc for the advice on Portland.

I was thinking of next year, possibly springtime, I will have about ten days, I really want to visit Graceland too.

As always though, everything hinges on the health of my wife at the time. Long term plans are not an option.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:43
Graceland? That is in Memphis?

Colin, I don't know your opinion of USA barbecue, but in that part of Tennessee you will find excellent examples of all three major styles of barbecue sauces, based on either tomatoes, honey, or vinegar (not counting those that mix two of those ingredients). My favorite is the honey-based, but some folks prefer hotter sauces that require vinegar as the basis. The popularity there is that if you have hot peppers steeped in vinegar, the acetic acid in the vinegar dissolves out the capsaicin of the hot peppers and you get a spicier sauce.

My favorite barbecue place in the vicinity of Graceland is right up the road, a place called "Marlowe's" - recognizable because they have a pink Cadillac automobile in front. Their barbecued pork dinner is excellent - but their cinnamon-spiced apple pie with ice cream is to die for!

Good luck on your travels. Northern Tennessee is a beautiful part of the USA, being right near the foothills of the Appalachian mountains - just as Portland is near the USA's Rocky Mountains. If you were going near Vancouver on your trip to/from Portland, you would pass near the Cascade Mountains - a part of the "Rockies" as we call them. That is a truly spectacular set of peaks. Perhaps they aren't as extensive as, say, the Swiss Alps - but they have their merits.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 04:43
Likewise, if you get into Nashville, TN visit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenon_(Nashville)
It was built during the US 100th anniversary. They have a major research and historical group to display the Parthenon as it appeared in its glory.
The British Museum had the actual 12 statues of the gods for example. They let the US make molds of them to display in the Temple. Every detail to engineering and how so very few construction workers put this marvel together.
Depending on your view of Jazz, Nashville is a recording city - some of the best Jazz bars in the country. Not taking away anything from The_Doc_Man's jazz in New Orleans that is well known for its jazz too. In Nashville, they travel from all over the world to record there.

If you two have a layover in Denver airport, please be sure to let me know in advance. It is somewhat likely if you travel from one coast to the other to stop at DIA. Would look forward to treating you to lunch in one of the airport's quality restaurants.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
"naughty goings on of al Qaeda" Sounds a bit trivial. So when Al Qaeda blows up a train or bus in the UK should we just say their being naughty?...this fourm is a joke.

I wonder why it is that some people get very airiated about the 2900 odd people killed on 11/9, they say its tragic, horrendous, a travesty - yet appear nonplussed by the 32000 killed every year by the gun in the USA, that's 618 per week or two jumbo jets full - all dead every week.
Imagine if two jumbos crashed every week in the USA killing everyone, what would happen?

It's as if the 32000 dead are just a way of life. Tough luck it seems. How can americans treat life so lightly?

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Accessblaster I fail to see how that answers Col's current question, but then you never do answer questions do you? I'm still waiting to here what you think my mission on here is (post #56).

You also do not read what is posted as you linked me with Col's opening post despite my describing it as inane (post #54)

Brian

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Whist I am at it

Nanscombe cited the Warrington bomb in a response to my comment on the foul language, I think this is because he thinks Warrington is in Merseyside, it is not it is Cheshire, but I forgive him as he is a southerner and like col as no or little knowledge of anything north of Watford Gap.

:rolleyes:

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
You're so superficial that you cannot see that the part of the post you bolded is intrinsically linked to the rest of the paragraph. Trying to debate with you is a complete waste of time.

Brian

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Whist I am at it

Nanscombe cited the Warrington bomb in a response to my comment on the foul language, I think this is because he thinks Warrington is in Merseyside, it is not it is Cheshire, but I forgive him as he is a southerner and like col as no or little knowledge of anything north of Watford Gap.

Brian

Its next to Ikea isn't it. Thats all anyone knows of it. ;-)

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
Whist I am at it

Brian

Yes, I know where Warrington is. I stayed in the Fir Grove Hotel on business a couple of times, I walked all the way from Bank Quay station, wasn't it next to a perfume factory or something? (Ah, the Unilever factory).

I've visited Stockport and Sale as well, and ridden the trams in Manchester. :p I never managed to visit Liverpool though.

It was more the fact that the BBC had it in the Merseyside section of their news site with the link bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-21803249

I see Warrington is on the River Mersey anyway. ;)

Warrington is a town, borough and unitary authority area of Cheshire, England. It stands on the banks of the River Mersey, which is tidal to the west of the weir at Howley. It is 18.5 miles (29.8 km) miles east of Liverpool, 16 miles (26 km) west of Manchester and 8 miles (13 km) south of St Helens. The population of the borough is 202,228.[2] Its population has more than doubled since its designation as a New Town in 1968.

Maybe the BBC's geography wasn't so bad after all. :D

There seemed to be no sense in citing all the bombs that exploded south of the Watford gap so I just looked for something a bit closer to you.

Last edited:

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, I know where Warrington is. I stayed in the Fir Grove Hotel on business a couple of times, I walked all the way from Bank Quay station, wasn't it next to a perfume factory or something? (Ah, the Unilever factory).

I've visited Stockport and Sale as well, and ridden the trams in Manchester. :p I never managed to visit Liverpool though.

It was more the fact that the BBC had it in the Merseyside section of their news site with the link bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-21803249

I see Warrington is on the River Mersey anyway. ;)

Maybe the BBC's geography wasn't so bad after all. :D

There seemed to be no sense in citing all the bombs that exploded south of the Watford gap so I just looked for something a bit closer to you.

I think I am right in saying BBC doesnt have a chesire section - get put in with either Liverpool or Manchester or elsewhere

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/hi/default.stm

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I have already stated my position here. Substitute <deleted> for my original insult.

That is not an answer to my question, shall I remind you of the question? You seem to have a problem identifying it.

I don't understand the last part of your post, is that your use of foul language again? Why?
I realise it is normal for you, but I can't see the point.:confused:

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom