Parliment Declines Syria Involement (1 Viewer)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 13:03

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
Alas no. I'd finish work in London about 3 - 4 o'clock in the afternoon then head up to Bank Quay. Walk through Knustford to the Fir Grove, I could have got a taxi but I enjoy a nice walk, then watch telly in my hotel room.

I'd head to the local office in the morning, do a bit of collaborative work on the Access database with the client, until about 3 o'clock, then walk back to Bank Quay ready for the journey back on the train to London. Once there I'd do my usual 90 minute commute to get home.

I only did this particular journey about 3 or 4 times but life was much simpler when I started video conferencing from our Reading office instead.

I always liked to spend an hour or so looking around when I went somewhere new but sometimes time just didn't permit, especially with a 3 - 4 hour journey home in front of me.

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
If you and Brian do not like being responded to with a non sequitur or non response then stop engaging.

I appreciate you have difficulty in comprehending the written word, but it is called "discussion", that's when two or more people put forward different comments regarding a subject, it's fairly simple, even for someone whose first language is not English.
After all, it's just a conversation, not the Gettysburg address.

Now, there has been a few posts since I posed a question for you so I'll restate it to refresh your less than perfect memory. Oh, and I've included the comment leading up to it.

"I wonder why it is that some people get very airiated about the 2900 odd people killed on 11/9, they say its tragic, horrendous, a travesty - yet appear nonplussed by the 32000 killed every year by the gun in the USA, that's 618 per week or two jumbo jets full - all dead every week.
Imagine if two jumbos crashed every week in the USA killing everyone, what would happen?

It's as if the 32000 dead are just a way of life. Tough luck it seems. How can americans treat life so lightly?"

Col

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
If you and Brian do not like being responded to with a non sequitur .....

I had long thought that your logic was non sequiturial but had sought to give you the benefit of the doubt, I now understand that that was unnecessary.

Brian

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
I for one wouldn't have called Col out on those sort of names as I grew up laughing at jokes about Taffs (Welsh), Jocks (Scotsmen), Paddys / Micks (Irish men), playing Cowboys and (red) Indians and doing Peter Sellers type impersonations of Indian (asian) people.

One of my PE teachers was a little Welshman who was nicknamed "Taffy".

I also grew up in a times where 'gay' meant happy not homosexual, other less acceptable names were used instead.

We also had names to describe various shades of non-whites as well.

A lot of those names have now fallen by the wayside. I don't tend to have a need to use them myself. I might tut-tut a bit and say "that's not a very nice thing to say" but I'm not going to be a hypocrite and throw a hissy fit when someone else does.

BTW ... Tut, tut. The word "bitch" isn't a very nice thing to say.

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
Nah. As I said, I don't throw a hissy fit. :D

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
Oh, I did take a quick glance at the thread.

You were the one praising Big John Booty for calling him out about it whilst condemning the inaction of others.

There's nothing twisted about my logic.

I grew up when the usage of various words was commonplace.
I see no need to use those words any longer, except in special circumstances like discussions such as these.
I don't wish to be seen as hypocritical, by casting the first stone, or like some born again evangelist.

I'm afraid I'm also a fan of growing a thick skin.

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Richard

I have now read that thread, how do you know that others that you have criticised have read it?

Like nanscombe I would not have called him on taffy, however if I had stuck with the thread, unlikely since it was obvious what col was upto, I would have had a go at him for similar reasons to why I called his first post on here inane , a fact that you have continued to ignore. I object strongly to being linked to col's naughty comment but you insist on doing so out of some mistaken belief that Col and I are a pair.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
We certainly don't seem as thin skinned as many nationalities.
I suspect Taff , Jock, Paddy etc are seen in a different light depending on their use. Col used it as an insult, but I'm guessing others have used it as a term of affection with their friends, however in today's Pc world almost everything seems to be taken by somebody as an insult of somebody else, so it's best to avoid these things, making our language poorer probably.

Brian

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
We're probably not so thin skinned as it was most likely our lot doing most of the insulting in the first place. :D

What's that phrase "They can dish it out but they can't take it" yet, for the most part, we seem to be able to (or, at least, used to be able to). Or do we just suffer from a misplaced sense of superiority? :confused:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
What do you mean "misplaced" ? :D

Brian

Must go and get my paper to read how we were robbed by a blind referee yesterday.

YNWA

brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Firstly, had you been as observant as you reckon you are, you will see that the Kilimanjaro thread was started long before Jon added the Debate forum.

Secondly, I wasn't looking for a fight. There are so many stories of only about 10% of funds raised getting through to the cause. I suggested that it may be easier and more beneficial to give £2000 to the hospice directly. This tactic may have saved the life of the writers colleague.

Thirdly, the word "taffy" was meant as a light hearted joshing. As I said, it pales into insignificance compared to how the welsh treat the English.

Why not comment on that part of the thread Accessblaster?

As far as I can see you are being particularly obtuse in your comments in order to stir up trouble when there is nothing to stir up. Also, why do you keep inviting people to report your posts? It seems most odd.

Col

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
Again as I stated in my post Thomas did take offence to your taffy comment. You nanscombe and Brian do not get to decide for Thomas what's offensive. There is no evidence Thomas has ever mistreated a single Englishman, but because you were he is now fair game. I understand these are minor points for most readers.

Offence is in the ear (or eyes) of the beholder.

Thomas finds it offensive, unfortunately there is no universal right of "Protecton from offence". Any protections are granted by individual Governments.

There are probably many things that some people find offensive yet others find it offensive to be offended by them.

In the UK, unlike America, we don't even seem to have the concept of "Freedom of Speech" either.

Its a bit clearer on internet forums, if people find any posts on here to be offensive I'm sure they are at liberty to report them to a moderator and have them removed and / or have the poster banned.

The posts still exist so they either weren't reported or, if they were, the moderators found no grounds to remove them.

Last edited:

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
Col seems to enjoy behaving in a childish manner and maybe the best thing to do would be to simply ignore him and not rise to the bait when he is being like that. :banghead:

I don't know about it being classic bully behaviour, more likely to be what we Brits would see as classic Wind Up Merchant behaviour. :p

Someone who enjoys winding others up in the sense of making fun of them or playing practical jokes

Imagine the sense of enjoyment someone could get from saying something controversial then just sitting back and watching the fireworks as other members start fighting amongst each other? :D Priceless. :rolleyes:

AccessBlaster said:
Again most readers do not see it that way obviously

What's that supposed to be? A version of "If you're not with us then you're against us"?

Is that why you seemed to start equating Brian to Col for not calling him out, on his name calling?

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Col was mistreated by the Welsh at some point in his life. He leaves the watercooler and politics and went after someone in a fitness thread because he was WELSH. Its classic bully behavior.

I have never been mistreated by the Welsh, and never said I have.

I never "went after" anyone, as I have already explained. It wouldn't have mattered if they were from Timbuktu or Margate.
I am not going through it all again, I suggest your read posts more carefully as you are twisting comments to suit your strange behaviour.

It seems to me that the only person doing stirring and antagonistic behaviour is you.

Can you answer my earlier questions please? I would value your thoughts.

Col

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
You're stirring and being antagonistic? Really?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Irritating col is just a side hobby, pulling wings off fly's is my full time gig.

So you hijacked this thread, post 7 was the first response to col, just to irritate col. I hope I remember to ignore you in the future.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom