Pet peeves or things that get your panties in a knot

I always thought stanby mode did greatly reduce the power consumption but it isn't the case. Sorry Col

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4620350.stm

Perhaps someone can find the actaul % power used on stanby compared to on. I remeber being told it was more than half. I should have read the article - as much as 2/3 of the power is needed on standby. Hardly the same as being off.

Last edited:
Pauldohert said:
I always thought stanby mode did greatly reduce the power consumption but it isn't the case. Sorry Col

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4620350.stm

Perhaps someone can find the actaul % power used on stanby compared to on. I remeber being told it was more than half. I should have read the article - as much as 2/3 of the power is needed on standby. Hardly the same as being off.

I've never seen this on a TV. Unless this is a feature on some of the newest TV sets, it must be a UK thing...

Pauldohert said:
I always thought stanby mode did greatly reduce the power consumption but it isn't the case.

To an extend it is. If you for instance set your TV set to stand by, you switch of all circuits behind the main transformer. This means that the main transformer is still on and will produce some current to some features in the circuit ( leds and stuff).
If you switch off the TV set, no current/voltage will be supplied to any of the circuits including the main transformer, so in that case the consumption is zero.

Nowadays , it is strongly recommended to switch off all your sets ( TV, DVD, Hi-fi stereo , etc) , since most of these devices get their signal thru the cable net.
Of there is any overvoltage/current ( thunderstorm and the likes) on the ( TV, radio) cable net, this will harm or even destroy the transformer and your equipment will be worthless.
I never leave my equipment on stand by and switch it off completely, since we had an overvoltage on our cable last year which destroyed all items ( DVD player, recorder) which were in the stand by mode.

Rich said:
Men that admit to wearing panties
People who follow nouns and pronouns referring to humans with "that" rather than "who". :D

Rich said:
So you admit to wearing panties too ?:confused:
Actually, you might take note of the "or" in the thread title.

So the fact that I did not specificy which option my statement fell under is evidence that it falls under the latter option? O....K.... :rolleyes:

Kraj said:
So the fact that I did not specificy which option my statement fell under is evidence that it falls under the latter option? O....K.... :rolleyes:
Nah, just a lucky guess, there were only two options :rolleyes:

What gets my goat?

People who say less instead of fewer as in "less jobs".

People who say "different to" instead of "different from".

The trend by generally young, English women to pronounce words like "new" as "nyee" and "book" as "biuck".

People who get irritated by people who do the above.....

BarryMK said:
What gets my goat?

The trend by generally young, English women to pronounce words like "new" as "nyee" and "book" as "biuck".

Are you sure they're not from the Midlands?

KenHigg said:
FYI - I would think that there is no technical difference in the TV being 'off' or 'on' regardless if you turned it off with the TV set button or the remote button. (On most tv set in the US anyway) 'Standby', to me anyway, implies that an electrical device is not turning completely 'off', but may be in a mode that could say, reduce power consumption, etc... For instance our home computer automatically enters a 'standby' mode if you don't use it for several minutes...
Standby enables a devise to 'power up' remotely, but it still wastes power. Things like the standby light and charger complete lights, actually account for 10% of electrical use. There is no reason why you shouldn't turn off computers and TVs if you are not using them. If you re not totally dependent on a device being on round the clock turning it off can save you loads on your electricity bill.

dt01pqt said:
There is no reason why you shouldn't turn off computers and TVs if you are not using them. If you re not totally dependent on a device being on round the clock turning it off can save you loads on your electricity bill.
So the fact that the largest amount of wear and tear on an electrical device is during startup, when that initial electrical surge is applied and that leaving it on will, in fact, greatly increase the lifespan of the device, makes no never-mind to you as long as you can save a few bucks on the bill, huh?

I have a pet peeve,

People who come into a Access Related forum, and post spam about computer games all over the forum. :mad: In the inappropriate forums. :confused:

Bodisathva said:
So the fact that the largest amount of wear and tear on an electrical device is during startup, when that initial electrical surge is applied and that leaving it on will, in fact, greatly increase the lifespan of the device, makes no never-mind to you as long as you can save a few bucks on the bill, huh?
This is false on modern devises. I studied a bit of embedded systems. People who leave devises on 24/7 waste a great deal more energy that a start up sequence. Memory devises are getting more an more stable. I'm not trying to be a do-gooder or anything, but you can be surprised how much you can save if you turn things off. Lightbulbs being the main things.

dt01pqt said:
..I'm not trying to be a do-gooder or anything, but you can be surprised how much you can save if you turn things off. Lightbulbs being the main things.
But by all means, be a do-gooder, we need more of them. Although lightbulbs do blow out mainly when you turn them on, that wasn't the type of device I was referring to...but that would be another thread and I've hijacked this one enough...

dt01pqt said:
This is false on modern devises. I studied a bit of embedded systems. People who leave devises on 24/7 waste a great deal more energy that a start up sequence. Memory devises are getting more an more stable. I'm not trying to be a do-gooder or anything, but you can be surprised how much you can save if you turn things off. Lightbulbs being the main things.
That may be the case for an office block but for single households the saving isn't worth the hassle and as for lighting it depends on the type;)

One of my peeves.

Waiting for a computer to boot.

Mine is people who complain about booting their computer, when they can do better things with their time like starting a conversation (not online):p

When you are in a restroom, whether in a stall or at a urinal, please be advised:

There is NO phone call THAT important!!!:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom