Post db implementation questions - and thank you

teachme

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:07
First I wanted to thank you all for helping me with my questions.

I just 'installed' the FE file on most of the machines and things are looking great. No issues except a few and I would like to fix them sooner than later before I start getting calls :)

Your help in advance is greatly appreciated. I didnt want to start a new thread per question

#1 I just realized that I need to add a Project Manager to the Project Manager table that I have. What is the best way of doing this? For now, I used the FE in the table and entered the new name there but the FE file that others users have wont see this new name.
How do I update the back end? I didnt want to edit the BE, in case someone is accessing that file and I didnt want to corrupt the back end. OR can I simply open the BE and add that entry in the table?

# 2 I just tried to print a blank report through a command button but got a message 'No Record Found'. I had to click like 20 times. I got this message even though I have the code below for 'On No Data'
Code:
Private Sub Report_NoData(Cancel as Integer)
Cancel = true
End Sub
BUT

I left for lunch, came back and that error is not there and it prints a blank PDF report just fine. This is strange. The error is gone but I dont want this to happen in the fure - any thoughts?

That doesn't make sense. If you add a record to the table, and tables are on the BE, then all users should see the change.

and You cant print blank reports

That doesn't make sense. If you add a record to the table, and tables are on the BE, then all users should see the change.

Sorry, I have not touched the BE file yet. I want to make sure that I can simply open the BE and update the table. Do I need to be sure that no one is using the db or have it open before I make that change? If I am in the process of updating BE, would the users get an error message if they try to get in?

and You cant print blank reports
I am assuming you are making a statement that I can not print blank report but in fact I am now able to. I can pick PDF from the printer list or MS Office Image Write to print before actually printing a hard copy - which is what I wanted it to do.

Thank you

First I wanted to thank you all for helping me with my questions.

I just 'installed' the FE file on most of the machines and things are looking great. No issues except a few and I would like to fix them sooner than later before I start getting calls :)

Your help in advance is greatly appreciated. I didnt want to start a new thread per question

#1 I just realized that I need to add a Project Manager to the Project Manager table that I have. What is the best way of doing this? For now, I used the FE in the table and entered the new name there but the FE file that others users have wont see this new name.
How do I update the back end? I didnt want to edit the BE, in case someone is accessing that file and I didnt want to corrupt the back end. OR can I simply open the BE and add that entry in the table?

# 2 I just tried to print a blank report through a command button but got a message 'No Record Found'. I had to click like 20 times. I got this message even though I have the code below for 'On No Data'
Code:
Private Sub Report_NoData(Cancel as Integer)
Cancel = true
End Sub
BUT

I left for lunch, came back and that error is not there and it prints a blank PDF report just fine. This is strange. The error is gone but I dont want this to happen in the fure - any thoughts?

Not an expert you understand, but the FE is meant to update the BE for all 'common' tables as far as I am aware. You can have tables in the FE for local use, but anything that you want others to see would be in the back end.

Re the printer, would you now have a record in the report that has no data in any of it's fields?

Not an expert you understand, but the FE is meant to update the BE for all 'common' tables as far as I am aware. You can have tables in the FE for local use, but anything that you want others to see would be in the back end.
I understand that. What I am trying to ask is what are the best practices when it comes to updating BE? How do I do that?

Re the printer, would you now have a record in the report that has no data in any of it's fields?
Yes, there is a lot of fields with blank data that show up on the report in PDF format

theres no need to update the BE. Entering data via FE is updating BE.

(unless you mean adding a field) then you must enter BE to change.

theres no need to update the BE. Entering data via FE is updating BE.

(unless you mean adding a field) then you must enter BE to change.

I tried to open the table in FE in design view to add data to a table and got the attached error.

I am trying to add a name to a table so it shows up in the drop down for one of the fields. No I dont mean adding a field. See attached

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    55.7 KB · Views: 64
Bump & update:

I opened the FE table (not in the deisgn view which is what I was trying to do earlier) added data to the table and closed it. I then opened the FE and the linked table was already updated.

For my other question on how to release a revised/updated version of the FE in the future with any changes, I didnt get any advise but this is what I am planning on doing:

1. Update the FE with any changes

2. Add v2.0 or something to the FE file name

3. Create a folder in the network drive and put the new FE file there (not the same folder where the BE is located)

4. Send an email to the users with step-by-step instructions that they should download the new FE file from the network location and replace it with the current one.

5. (optional step) I may use https://www.join.me/ and remotely perform these actions for them which should not take a couple of minutes per user.

Your thoughts?

Get a method into your system that will perform an auto update if you change the version number.

Have a local table in the front end with the FE version number.
Have a system table in the BE that you update with the Actual Current version.
Compare the 2 on FE open - if the FE version is behind the BE version then perform the update for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom