Question Read-Only error when i open the database (1 Viewer)

rajesh876

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:40
I am getting the following error sometimes randomly.
See the error message below.

The database 'XYZ' is read-only.
You won't be able to save changes made to data or object definitions in this database.

Sometimes when I open the database i don't see any message.But its happening sometimes only.We never had this problem before.Please tell me what should i do.

Thanks,

Access Hero

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:40
You haven't given us much information but the superfluous answer is that you need to make sure the Access file and the directory it is located in is not read-only.

What kind of network are you on? How many users? Is there an IT department that controls access to folders? Etc.

rajesh876

Registered User.
Local time
I make sure all the permissions.It is not read only.there are 4 users.The database is located on network at the folder level.The funny thing is I don't see that message all the time.I see it only sometimes randomly.

Access Hero

Registered User.
Local time
No doubt, one of your users is putting the database into exclusive (read only) mode.

You should not be sharing a single Access file between 4 users. You should look into splitting your database into a front end/back end solution. Each user should have the front end on their own workstation.

You can get a free tool to help manage your split database from: http://www.btabdevelopment.com/main/MyFreeAccessTools/tabid/78/Default.aspx

rajesh876

Registered User.
Local time
I got you.Thanks for your help.So only 1 user can access the database located in network drive right. Multiple users cannot write at the same time.I.e the reason i am getting that error message.am i right??

Is there any other solution other than implenting that tool.I am just worried to implement on production database.

Thanks,

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 08:40
I got you.Thanks for your help.So only 1 user can access the database located in network drive right. Multiple users cannot write at the same time.I.e the reason i am getting that error message.am i right??
Multiple users need to use a split database - Frontend and Backend (tables only). Each user should have a copy of the frontend on their machine and it is linked to the backend. Read more about split databases here.
Is there any other solution other than implenting that tool.I am just worried to implement on production database.
I wouldn't worry too much about implementing that "tool" as you call it. I've used it in production at Providence Health System (for over 100 users) and I know it is in production use at BAE Systems, several governmental agencies, and several other large companies.

rajesh876

Registered User.
Local time
Okay thank you very much for your help.I will read more about it and will implement.Thanks much...:cool:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 08:40
Okay thank you very much for your help.I will read more about it and will implement.Thanks much...:cool:

Plus, I created it when I was working at Providence Health System and so if you need help around any of it you can post questions here or you can post on my support forum at my website. See my link in my sigature.

rajesh876

Registered User.
Local time
Yeah.I will definitely contact you if i have any problems.Thanks!

Access Hero

Registered User.
Local time
Dang, rajesh, you're getting all kinds of good attention!

To further your understanding, multiple users CAN share a single database instance but it is not recommended and can cause the problem you're seeing. If anyone goes into design mode on any object in the database, it will lock the other users out. There is also the potential for loss of data and much grief.

Enjoy Bob's tool. I've used something similar for years and it really makes maintenance a snap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom