Recharge My Electric Car? (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 17:19
Sandy Munro's YouTube channel was born out of the lockdown. With little work, and poor prospects of surviving the lockdown, Sandy reluctantly began his YouTube career.

His forthright approach, his strong opinions and his great depth of knowledge of the the motor industry come to the fore often, and make for some very interesting and entertaining YouTube's. Well worth watching the "Munro Live" channel if you get 5-minutes to spare .....

I like that brief story you told to introduce him. Going to check it out today.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:19

In this video Sandy Munro explorers some of the technologies that are being applied to the construction of low-volume vehicles.

I wasn't familiar with the warm stamping process but I did know about using a sacrificial mould. In my day it was called "The lost wax investment process" I understand it is used extensively in the third world for creating large brass vessels amongst other things.

Lost wax casting - Odisha

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Yesterday, 20:19
Here's an unexpected, but obvious twist in retrospect, to recharging your electric vehicle. Someone disconnecting the charging cord!!!
Imagine, being at work for eight hours or so thinking your electric car is recharging so you can drive home, but then finding that you have an undercharged battery and can't get home.:mad:
This brings up another unanticipated issue. I don't know how you are charged for recharging your car. I suspect that the charging station is somehow "keyed" to the car you won't be charged for the electricity "downloaded" when someone switches the charging cable from your car to their car.

Since posting, I went out for my afternoon walk and a couple other thoughts surfaced.
  • People can steal gasoline from your car, which makes this story somewhat a non-story.
  • If it has not yet been created already, an app can be written to display your charging status, real-time. Which of course would mean that if someone were to disconnect your car from the charging station, you would know immediately.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Since posting, I went out for my afternoon walk and a couple other thoughts surfaced.
  • People can steal gasoline from your car, which makes this story somewhat a non-story
I wouldn't take away too much credit from your original post from that thought alone. Having gas stolen from your car is almost unheard of. I certainly have never had it happen.

But, I have a distinct feeling that when all Californians are required to drive EV's, and if the charging stations don't 100% keep up with the demand, switching a charging cord for at least a little while at a time will be quite commonly heard of.
Number one it's much easier, number two it probably won't be a crime, unless there is a fee to charge AND (the fee is prepaid OR the thief gets the ultimate benefit from someone else's fee).

Either way, desperation will certainly make it happen unless they make it as hard as stealing gasoline.

I was in line at Sam's Club to get gas the other day, which it usually isn't even worth the 5 minute wait but this time the savings was significant and there was no line. A ghetto cruiser pulled up behind me and started screaming "Move! move!" at the top of his lungs. I had nowhere to move to, just waiting in line. I was a bit disconcerted but restrained myself from my instinct to open my door and get out. Nothing ended up happening, he ended up getting gas just like everyone else as if nothing had happened. Glad it wasn't my wife driving alone, though

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
What is a 'ghetto cruiser'? Is it one of those huge American cars that pimps drive? Like the ones in Starsky and Hutch or Dirty Harry films? I think they're called Lincoln Continental. It seems most Americans drive cars big enough to play tennis on the bonnet (or hood in American)
Col

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Is it one of those huge American cars that pimps drive
Yes, pretty much. There is a certain type of car driven by gangster-types and the specificity of it definitely transcends the mere evidence of poverty.
These are some characteristics - check 1 on the list, chance is 25% ghetto. Check 2 or 3, and you don't make eye contact.

• Vehicles that were formerly police patrol cars, from the models used by police in the 90's and 2000's
  • Vehicles with highly specialized "rims", or any gaudy rims - really anything other than factory rims, or any rims that stand out for their eye catching profile
  • Vehicles that have been artificially "raised" above their normal height
  • Vehicles whose exhaust system is modified to be deliberately loud
  • Vehicles whose genius owners have decided to paint the brake lights--a device meant to illuminate one's presence to other drivers--BLACK.
I supposed my brain's ability to recall actual experiences from my life for the purpose of predicting and interpreting my current surroundings,
is now considered "racist", "car-ist", "rim-ist", or some such nonsense.

You are right about the large vehicle obsession in America, although I saw plenty of large vehicles in the UK too - most notably Range Rovers, which come with the distinction of being not only foolishly bulky, but foolishly designed to give their driver some kind of prestige apparently.
I have steadfastly bought what I consider highly practical cars - Nissan Sentra, Kia Forte, etc.

I constantly encounter people with pickup trucks far larger than they have ANY idea or ability of how to handle, making 10-point Y turns in the grocery store parking lot - quite annoying. @ColinEssex any viewpoint you may have toward people who are drawn towards ridiculously bulky vehicles for no logical reason I will agree with you on. We have a joke here in the USA: A lot of people live in Trailers (a very cheap form of housing typically seen in poor neighborhoods), they have no money for a house or rent, but they drive a Pickup Truck big enough to cover the view of their Trailer. It makes little sense ... but is a tradition that our neighbors to the South have equally contributed to unfortunately.

Generally, I have a need for a Truck about once a year, when buying a mattress, dresser, bed, etc. At that time I can rent a truck from a store like Lowes or Home Depot for $25 for 1.5 hours of use - quite a bit cheaper than spending $38,000 on a pickup instead of $22k for a normal family car.

Although there is one category I am hoping to buy within the next 2-3 years: The compact, ultra-efficient new types of pickup truck.
It would have to still hold 5 people (two seats, 4 doors), but with at least a small pickup bed for hauling things. An example is the Ford Maverick.
When they start coming down to around $23k, I'll be the first to buy. The Maverick seemed perfect until I learned you had to go 3 levels up from the base package (all the way up to the Lariat) before even getting Cruise Control.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Yes, I agree, we do have some large vehicles here. The Range Rover and what we call 4 x 4 (all wheel drive) cars are used to transport little Tommy about 500 yards to school, the most off road they see is Sainsbury's car park.
When I referred to the cars pimps drive, I was going to mention the pimps are always portrayed as black in US TV programmes, why, I've no idea. But, American cars were massive, cars like De Soto, Rambler, Lincoln, Cadillac, Chrysler etc etc, I'm not well up on car names, sorry. Are these massive 1960's and 70's cars still common on US roads? You know, 12 MPG max.
Col

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yes, I agree, we do have some large vehicles here. The Range Rover and what we call 4 x 4 (all wheel drive) cars are used to transport little Tommy about 500 yards to school, the most off road they see is Sainsbury's car park.
When I referred to the cars pimps drive, I was going to mention the pimps are always portrayed as black in US TV programmes, why, I've no idea. But, American cars were massive, cars like De Soto, Rambler, Lincoln, Cadillac, Chrysler etc etc, I'm not well up on car names, sorry. Are these massive 1960's and 70's cars still common on US roads? You know, 12 MPG max.
Col
I think there was a short time when people became more interested in good gas economy then they were interested in large vehicles. However, in recent years all vehicles across the board have become much much better in gas mileage, thus allowing people once again not to care as much about gas economy and going back to their favorite big vehicles.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
From this YouTube Text Info Section:-

Joe Justice on Tesla Culture, Agile Methodologies, and the Future of Outer Space​

Sandy and Cory are joined by Joe Justice.

Joe Justice is one of the leading agile experts, he has worked with Microsoft, Amazon, Telsa and Toyota.

8:14 Culture of Constant Change
15:55 The Thousand-Year Plan: Housing in Space?
31:17 Writing a Letter to NASA
42:10 Pivot to Pilot
51:56 DisengAGE
1:01:37 Mob Development
1:05:18 Joe's 3 Questions
1:24:59 Outro

#Tesla #JoeJustice #Agile

SachAccess

Local time
Today, 05:49
Speaking of California, below is a picture of a Tesla recharging station near a mall where my daughter works. No matter what time of day or night there seems to be a long line for recharging. It takes me ten minutes tops to wait and fill up my car with gas. These poor souls sit there endlessly waiting for their turn, sometimes the owner who is charging is not present, they might be in the mall shopping while charging. An added bonus I guess.

As @The_Doc_Man said because California has restrictions (mostly L.A. county) on the peek hours and frequency while running low on electrical power, how could this ever make sense even on the "left coast"? :p

View attachment 100772

View attachment 100773
There might a possibility of employment generation here, while the owner is busy shopping, third person will get his/her car recharged and deliver at the convenient place of the owner. :p

SachAccess

Local time
Today, 05:49
I had few doubts about EV, since 2019 and still have the same doubts. These are especially related to India.
Situation might be entirely different in other countries.

1) Are we buying the Chinese dream, instead of importing oil, we would be importing lithium. We don't have either.
At least, with the crude oil, we have multiple exporters who will supply crude. With lithium, we have very limited number of suppliers.

2) Most of the power is coal generated, so it is not entirely green, aware that it is still efficient but not 100% green as companies claim.

3) Most of owners do not have dedicated parking (in my country), we have open parking, common parking, in this case, how do we recharge.
That itself limits the number of buyers.

4) With two-wheelers, we have very limited options where the bike or scooter has removable battery.
If you have removable battery, then you can carry it home and recharge.

5) Every model has different capacity, different size battery, different charger set.
If it is uniform, then it will be easier for buyer to swap or share the resource if required.
This makes buyer dependent on OEM.

6) No clarity at all on cost of battery if you want to buy new set.
Not enough study to check long term range of the batteries.

7) No policy on recycling.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
1) Are we buying the Chinese dream, instead of importing oil, we would be importing lithium. We don't have either.
At least, with the crude oil, we have multiple exporters who will supply crude. With lithium, we have very limited number of suppliers.
1675181724105.png

We have a ton of oil, we really don't need to import a single drop. It's all a Shell game, pardon the pun.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Just had one of those flash thoughts. Why not enhance (genetically modify) plants to produce hydrocarbons (both liquid and gas). That would be a way of harnessing solar energy to store energy (battery) in the form of a hydrocarbon that can be used to operate: gas stoves, cars, power plants, etc.

A disadvantage of using direct solar energy obtained through solar panels is that they don't work to well at night or when the weather is bad. There is also the negative issue that you need to over-construct a solar farm in-order to provide a minimum baseline of power. That is inefficient wasteful spending.

Hydrocarbon plants
Hydrocarbon plants are plants that follow certain metabolic pathways that produce hydrocarbon products similar to petroleum. These hydrocarbon products are called terpenoids.[1] The plants that produce terpenoids in large enough quantities to be harvested can be as big as trees or as small as single-cell algae.

Can't believe, when I first wrote this, that I overlooked this as the solution to "Global Warming", AKA "Climate Change".
These plants will absorb that polluting evil gas CO2 and give us clean O2, a winning strategy. :love:(y)

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I had few doubts about EV, since 2019 and still have the same doubts. These are especially related to India.
Situation might be entirely different in other countries.

2) Most of the power is coal generated, so it is not entirely green, aware that it is still efficient but not 100% green as companies claim.

3) Most of owners do not have dedicated parking (in my country), we have open parking, common parking, in this case, how do we recharge.
That itself limits the number of buyers.

4) With two-wheelers, we have very limited options where the bike or scooter has removable battery.
If you have removable battery, then you can carry it home and recharge.

5) Every model has different capacity, different size battery, different charger set.
If it is uniform, then it will be easier for buyer to swap or share the resource if required.
This makes buyer dependent on OEM.

6) No clarity at all on cost of battery if you want to buy new set.
Not enough study to check long term range of the batteries.

7) No policy on recycling.

That is a very well thought out and intelligent set of questions, thanks for posting.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Most thinking people have similar questions. It is easier in the US because except in cities, most people have dedicated parking and so can install their own charging station especially if they have a garage.

The problem is that EV's are sold as "emission free" and if you don't think about the recycling problem that you eventually have to face or how the electricity is generated that sounds pretty good. So that is where the advertising stops and that is where most people who have bought the EV dream stop thinking. They "see" the stuff that "feels good" and ignore the details. I will say that when my sister-in-law who is very liberal and was initially a very moral and good person because she bought an EV but totalled it a year later, she did not buy another one:)

I really like the idea of using EVs in cities for taxis and busses and some municipal vehicles. Because the emissions of all those vehicles in a small space is noxious although, the situation is far better today than it was 30 years ago when busses were spewing diesel fumes and you needed to be three blocks behind one to be able to breathe at all. The problem there, at least in the northern tier, is that EVs can't hold a charge when it is very cold so it makes them useless for city vehicles that commonly double as snow plows in the winter.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I really like the idea of using EVs in cities for taxis and busses and some municipal vehicles. Because the emissions of all those vehicles in a small space is noxious although, the situation is far better today than it was 30 years ago when busses were spewing diesel fumes and you needed to be three blocks behind one to be able to breathe at all.
What has amazed me is that companies such as UPS, FedEx, and the US Postal Service have not apparently made a substantial push into electrifying their vehicles. It seems that local delivery vehicles, that stay parked overnight, would be an excellent reason for converting to electric (short-range delivery) vehicles.

JonXL

Local time
Yesterday, 19:19
Just had one of those flash thoughts. Why not enhance (genetically modify) plants to produce hydrocarbons (both liquid and gas). That would be a way of harnessing solar energy to store energy (battery) in the form of a hydrocarbon that can be used to operate: gas stoves, cars, power plants, etc.

A disadvantage of using direct solar energy obtained through solar panels is that they don't work to well at night or when the weather is bad. There is also the negative issue that you need to over-construct a solar farm in-order to provide a minimum baseline of power. That is inefficient wasteful spending.

Hydrocarbon plants

Can't believe, when I first wrote this, that I overlooked this as the solution to "Global Warming", AKA "Climate Change".
These plants will absorb that polluting evil gas CO2 and give us clean O2, a winning strategy. :love:(y)
The problem is that that still limits you to only having access to the energy more-or-less as it's created. And that's a slow process.

The reason FFs work is because each unit contains thousands of years (or more?) of photosynthesized energy. When you release that much energy over the span of a few seconds, it produces a lot of power.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
What has amazed me is that companies such as UPS, FedEx, and the US Postal Service have not apparently made a substantial push into electrifying their vehicles. It seems that local delivery vehicles, that stay parked overnight, would be an excellent reason for converting to electric (short-range delivery) vehicles.
Postal in my area is going ev

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom