Regarding ACCDB and ACCDE files (1 Viewer)

JoseO

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:40
Hello there! I am a beginner with Access 2007/2010 and so far I am enjoying very much what this particular DB program is capable of doing. I've been taught that when I get done developing a DB for someone else, I am to give the other party the DB with the file extension ACCDE. Here's where my confusion and frustration begin. Say the other party keeps the ACCDE file for a month and he/she enters all kinds of data. Afterwards, he/she comes to me and says, "Listen, I'd like you to modify this form and that form, this report and that report." Now, I find myself stuck with an ACCDB file that is a month outdated and needing modifications. How to resolve this issue? I hope this made sense. Thank you so very much. Jose

JoseO

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you Paul for the speedy reply! :)

Please forgive me as I am having trouble understanding the splitting of the DB. I went ahead and split my DB. Kept the BE in my Access folder on my PC and for testing purposes I placed the FE on the Desktop (simulating me giving it to another party).

I then opened the FE only to have Access yell at me by telling me that it was not able to locate the BE every time I attempted to open any forms. I then placed the FE file on the Desktop back in the same folder the BE was and I had no trouble. :banghead:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:40
Well, you want to put the BE in its final location, then update the links in the front end. In the front end, right-click in the Nav Pane and select Linked Table Manager. Select the tables, click on the check box at the bottom that says "Always prompt for new location", then on OK. Done correctly, the FE should work. If you're giving the files to somebody else, I would either replicate their environment by putting both in the same folders on the PC, or provide relinking code so they navigate to wherever they put the BE. Simplest is obviously the former.

JoseO

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks again Paul!

So I understand this correctly (thank you for your patience), although I always want to give my end user the FE, the BE must be placed in their PC as well correct? Should probably encrypt the BE for protection correct?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In a network environment the BE would typically be on a server. Otherwise it would be on the PC. Basically it has to be in a location accessible to all users of the FE.

JoseO

Registered User.
Local time
Got it. Thank you so much for your patience and guidance Paul. Also, thank you for the handy link on your signature....bookmarked!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Happy to help! I assume you're not the "Jose O." I'm meeting with tomorrow at 10? :p

JoseO

Registered User.
Local time
Hahahaha!! I wish!! Man! I would come with an arsenal of Access questions. You kidding me?? Meet with an Access MVP. I would be all over it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom