Requesting info on Normalizing our Database (1 Viewer)

dgaletar

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:34
plog... I got it working!!! Everything works!!! Thanks! If you have time, and you see anything else that I should correct, please feel free to point it out.

Thanks for the help!!!

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 19:34
The Parts table looks good, now you just have to use it properly. Service_Specs still contains text values for all the values in Parts. It should contain numeric data that links to the Parts table. Here's what I mean:

In the Service_Specs table find CustomerID=6.

In that record's [Oil Filter] field it is text data "51516", it should have numeric data 608.

Now open Parts table and find PartID=608, its the equivalent data ("51516").

The same goes for CustomerID=6 and the field Battery. It has "59-6YR", but should have 575 which in the Parts table is equivalent. That is how the Parts table and Spec Table should work.

dgaletar

Registered User.
Local time
...and here in lies my problem! I don't know how to make that happen. I feel stupid for having to say that, but it's true.

Would you be able to help me do that step???

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
No problem, that's why we are here. You should create a new field in Service_Specs for each item that is going to link to the Parts table, create an update query to populate that new field and then delete the old field that holds the text data.

First though, you have some duplicate data in Parts, PartID=589 and PartID=590 are the same data. Delete one. Also, you have 2 Detail values that are "N/a". What does that mean exactly? I'd look to get rid of those 2 records.

Here's how you add that numeric field for each Part in Service_Specs. Let's use [Oil Filter] as an example (you should do all of the fields in Service_Specs that have data in Parts in this manner).

First create a new numeric field to hold that data, call it [OilFilterPartID].
Next create an UPDATE query linking Service_Specs.[Oil Filter] to Parts.PartDetails.
Bring down OilFilterPartID from Service_Specs and update it to Parts.PartID

To verify you've done it correctly create a query on Service_Specs and Parts linking OilFilterPartID to PartID, bring down [Oil Filter] and PartsDetail and they should all match. Once you've done every part like this, make a copy of your table and then delete the text fields that you have replaced with numeric.

dgaletar

Registered User.
Local time
***QUICK NOTE: N/A is in there for vehicles that do not use that part. (ie: Newer vehicles usually do not have a fuel filter, etc.)

dgaletar

Registered User.
Local time
...and, as it turns out, I apparently have no idea how to create an UPDATE query. So, off I go to Google! See ya soon...

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Delete N/a values. If it doesn't use the part, the field should be Null.

dgaletar

Registered User.
Local time
OK, no help in the tutorials! They show me how to update one field in one table. Any suggestions...

dgaletar

Registered User.
Local time
First create a new numeric field to hold that data, call it [OilFilterPartID].
Next create an UPDATE query linking Service_Specs.[Oil Filter] to Parts.PartDetails.
Bring down OilFilterPartID from Service_Specs and update it to Parts.PartID
OK, the first part was a no brainer. Created the field and made it NUMERIC!

The second a bit tougher. I created a Select query with the following fields:

• Service_Specs.Oil Filter
  • Parts.PartDetails
  • Service_Specs.OilFilterPartID
  • Parts.PartType
...and set "OilFilterPartID" in the Parts.PartType column as the "Update to".

It says: "You are about to update 0 rows". I'm sure that's not right...

I also ran the "TEST" query like suggested, and all fields are empty.

Last edited:

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
[OilFilterPartID] is the destination field and you want it to update to Parts.PartID. If you still need help post your SQL.

dgaletar

Registered User.
Local time
UPDATE Parts INNER JOIN ServiceSpecs ON Parts.[PartID] = ServiceSpecs.[OilFilter] SET Parts.PartID = "OilFilterPartID";

It's still saying that "Parts.PartID is not updateable".

dgaletar

Registered User.
Local time
(sorry. don't mean to be so needy with this!)

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
UPDATE Parts INNER JOIN ServiceSpecs ON Parts.[PartID] = ServiceSpecs.[OilFilter] SET Parts.PartID = "OilFilterPartID";

Lets step through this:

>> UPDATE Parts INNER JOIN ServiceSpecs

That means you are updating the Parts table which is incorrect. You are want to update ServiceSpecs. That also means your join will be switched, you will be joining Parts to ServiceSpecs, not vice versa as you have done.

>> ON Parts.[PartID] = ServiceSpecs.[OilFilter]

You are trying to link PartID of Parts to OilFilter field of ServiceSpecs. That's not going to work--PartID has numeric data, OilFilter has text data. You need to link OilFilter to PartsDetail.

>> SET Parts.PartID = "OilFilterPartID";

You are setting PartID in the Parts table to the string "OilFilterPartID". First and second, as I said before you aren't updating any fields in Parts and PartID is numeric not text. You want to update the new field you created in your ServiceSpecs table called [OilFilterPartID] to the number in Parts.PartID

dgaletar

Registered User.
Local time
OK, I think that I am getting this. (I have to say that once I copied and pasted the SQL, it didn't look right to me. But I didn't know how to change it!)

So, the first step would be to UPDATE the ServiceSpecs table, and JOIN it to the Parts table:
>>UPDATE ServiceSpecs INNER JOIN Parts

The second step would then be to LINK ServiceSpecs.[OilFilter] to Parts[PartsDetail]:
>>ON ServiceSpecs.OilFilters = Parts.PartDetail

Then bring it home by UPDATING ServiceSpecs.[OilFilterPartID] to it's numeric value in the Parts.[PartsID] field, like this:
>>SET ServiceSpecs.OilFilterPartID = Parts.PartID;

Am I at least on the right track here??? Would this be the correct SQL for this task?

UPDATE ServiceSpecs INNER JOIN Parts
ON ServiceSpecs.OilFilters = Parts.PartDetail
SET ServiceSpecs.OilFilterPartID = Parts.PartID;

It seems right.

Last edited:

dgaletar

Registered User.
Local time
The only problem is that, when I run it, I get an error message saying "Type mismatch in expression". :(

dgaletar

Registered User.
Local time
OK, so I went in and changed the Parts.PartsDetail field to "Number", and it ran. I stopped it because I wanted to check with you first. As you know, many of the filters use letters in their part number. If I change the Parts.PartsDetail field to "Number" permanently, I will loose many records. Not to mention that I will not be able to enter part numbers properly.

Your thoughts???

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yeah, that's not the answer. PartsDetail is text and so should be ServiceSpecs.OilFilter. Is it?

Also, this is a little confusing--in the last file you sent the table name was 'Service_Specs' not 'ServiceSpecs'. And the field name was 'OilFilter' not 'OilFilters'.

dgaletar

Registered User.
Local time
OK, answer A = PartsDetail WAS Text, but I changed it to Number. ServiceSpecs.OilFilter WAS also Text, but I also changed it to Number. (this was over the course of this whole thread) I then changed ServiceSpecs.OilFilter BACK to TEXT, but for some reason left PartsDetail as a Number. NOW, BOTH ARE TEXT!!!

Answer B, well I think that was done as one of your suggestions. I got rid of all underscores (and the likes). As for 'OilFilter' not 'OilFilters', that was a typo in my last reply.

I need a minute to remember where it was that you told me how to populate the "Oil Filter" part of the new Parts table. I just erased all of the part numbers that had text in them. :(

dgaletar

Registered User.
Local time
OK, I think the instructions are in step #11. Sigh... And, to top it all off, I have to punch out.

We can try again tomorrow!?!

I feel like we are REALLY close!!! Thanks again for all of this help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom