restrict editing on certain fields, but maintain no deletions in continuous form (1 Viewer)

darren_access

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:43
I have a subform in continuous form format that currently has no edits and no deletions. The user uses a split form to enter the data which displays in the continuous form.

However, i am noticing that user would like to be able to edit a couple of fields only, but maintain no deletions or edits on other fields.

Such as re-assignment to another value in a drop down box or to add notes to the note field at later date.

Can this be achieved?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sure, set the Allow Deletions property of the form to No. Leave the Allow Edits property as Yes, but either lock or disable the controls you don't want edited.

darren_access

Registered User.
Local time
Sure, set the Allow Deletions property of the form to No. Leave the Allow Edits property as Yes, but either lock or disable the controls you don't want edited.

Great idea, unfortunately I have joined other tables for drop down selections using FK's :(
Oh well.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't see the connection. Or the need. I'd have the form bound to a single table. Combos can refer to other tables in their row sources.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:43
When you use a combo to select a FK, that field should not be locked. You are not changing the PK of the source table, you are changing the FK on THIS table.

darren_access

Registered User.
Local time
When you use a combo to select a FK, that field should not be locked. You are not changing the PK of the source table, you are changing the FK on THIS table.

Great thanks for the tip. I'm new to combo boxes with 2 fields, but it's very useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom