Santa Claus Kicked out of Disney World (1 Viewer)

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:31
http://www.wesh.com/news/10552033/detail.html

how pathetic is that?

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:31
I have a tendency to agree with Disney on this one. After all he was misrepresenting himself as Santa, and if he did something wrong, Disney could be held liable. Now the change his appearance stuff, not sure because I don't know what his appearance was. But if a general problem existed, I would think he needed to be stopped at the gate. Plus the link pretty much only has his side of the story, so not sure if any of it was "exaggerated" or mis-quoted. You have to take it with a grain of salt.

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
FoFa said:
...Plus the link pretty much only has his side of the story, so not sure if any of it was "exaggerated" or mis-quoted. You have to take it with a grain of salt.
Oooookeydokey...
Walt Disney News said:
A strange case of mistaken identity leads a Santa-Claus look-a-like to get kicked out of Disney World.
Yesterday throngs of children created a scene after they confused a 60 year old Florida man with Saint Nick himself.

The rotund white-bearded man played along so as not to disappoint the kids and that sparked problems with the Disney management.

Apparently doing the ho-ho-ho got the man the heave-ho.

Disney said that is because Santa is not a character legally approved by the Disney management.
honestly, it just sounds to me that Disney felt someone was horning in on their action. While the whole "throngs of children" thing conjures up some unpleasant images, I think the 'Magic Kingdom' could've come up with a solution that doesn't involve the major news sources declaring they booted St. Nick from the park.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:31
It is a no-win situation for Disney the moment someone pretends to be Santa Claus while on their property.

If they let him stay, they assume responsibility for what he does - by condoning the action. In the article, the guy seemed honorable enough - but he could have been a child molester and Disney has no way to know that.

If they make him leave, they look like heartless bastards with no sense of imagination or wonderment - which is self-evidently impossible yet somehow true. You should read articles by people wore the costumes. If you are in a Disney area where you can be seen in public, you are a performer who is never out of character while in public.

Where the Santa wannabe went wrong was in providing an illusion of a fantasy character on another fantasy character's home turf. No matter how innocent it might have been, it was in poor taste.

statsman

Local time
C'mon guys. The real reason is Santa Claus is public domain and Disney can't make any money off it like they could with Mickey, Goofy et al.

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Today, 12:01
Do you think if an unauthorised Mickey walked in they wouldn't kick him out?

statsman

Local time
Adeptus said:
Do you think if an unauthorised Mickey walked in they wouldn't kick him out?

Did he pay Disney a licence fee?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom