Secure or Lock a Worksheet? (1 Viewer)

sdzc

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:46
I am trying to use one spreadsheet that is based off of another and have it all set up like I need it, but I cannot conditionally format anything because the data is based on another spreadsheet.

So my thought is to move everything to the same workbook, but is there a way to lock or secure the second worksheet so only certain people (with a password) have access to open or even view the worksheet?

Need to keep the second worksheet private from the users that are entering data in the "data entry" worksheet.

Does "Protect Sheet" block anyone from viewing it or just changing data (in testing this, it appears you can see the data, you just cannot change it, so this will not work)

Thought: Can I unprotect all the cells in the data entry worksheet and then hide the analysis sheet and then protect the workbook? Would the users have to enter a password to enter data or since the cells are unprotected or would they be able to just enter the data (need to keep it simple for them)?
So it looks like this will not even work as you cannot c-format between sheets.

Any thought on how to get a report to show this in access:

..............February..............March........April........May......June.......etc..

Data1..........2 (this is a count)
Data2.......... $629.78 (this is a sum)
Data3.........$3.94 (average)
Data4..........$729.45 (sum
Data5..........$4.56 (average)
Data6..........4 (count)
Data7 (you get the idea)
Data8

Sorry, I have tried this in excel (and it works great until I need to c-format) and in access I cannot figure out to to get the report to show months going across with other data going vertical.

Tried a crosstab query, but it seemed to only want to allow one set of values (count and sum area)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

....How about copying values only to a new workbook and c-format there (but how would it stay current as new data is entered?) Sorry, getting tired, not thinking very well

Last edited:

Jibbadiah

James
Local time
Today, 12:46
If ppl can see your values but can't change them, then how about changing your text to white on a white background and removing the formula bar... that way they won't be able to view it.

You could also look at options related to hiding the worksheet.

As for your report... think about formating it with more user-friendly names.
See Attached.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 132

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:46
If ppl can see your values but can't change them, then how about changing your text to white on a white background and removing the formula bar... that way they won't be able to view it.
Good thinking. You would have to look for a way to stop values from being copied in this case.

sdzc

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:46

You could also look at options related to hiding the worksheet.

As for your report... think about formating it with more user-friendly names.
See Attached.

The white on white is a good idea, but I have two users who need to use this one frequently and they are not technical (want it easy), so this would not work for them.

As for the names on the report, the Data1, Data2 etc. examples were not real. Those were just to show there would be a vertical aspect to the report.

Is there a way to get the months to stretch horizontally in a report?

Seems like I am so close, but can't get over the last hurdle.

Thanks for responding.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:46
1. You hide (Window -> Hide) the columns in sheet 2 that you don't want them to see and protect it.
2. Change the caption of sheet 2 to "PLEASE_DO_NOT_DELETE" :)
3. On sheet 1, where data is being entered, you set the Locked and Hidden properties of the columns that does the calculations and protect the sheet. The hidden property ensures that formulas aren't displayed in the Formula bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom