Security of tables (preventing deletion and creation)

aref

Local time
Today, 10:36
I want tables in Access for security

1- Work with coding so that it is not possible to delete tables in the Navigation Pane window

2- It is possible to enter a new record, create a new field, delete data. (lock the table)

please guide me

Last edited:

tvanstiphout

Local time
Today, 02:36
Re #1: if you mean that you ONLY want to prevent deletion of tables "in the Navigation Pane window", then yes that is possible: you can lock your application so users cannot open the NavPane.
They could still open the back-end database (because OF COURSE you have a split database) and delete the entire file (barring NTFS permissions) or a specific table. You cannot prevent that, since User Level Security (ULS) was abandoned with ACCDB format with A2007.

As has been said MANY times: if you need real security, Access is not the platform for your data. It can be for your front-end, but the data would be in a server-class RDBMS like SQL Server.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:36
I agree with Tom's comments.
However, you can still do a lot to improve the security of your Access databases. See my article:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:36
If you REALLY want to secure anything, the very first thing you CANNOT allow is for anyone to see the navigation pane. Of necessity, to use Access you must have MODIFY file permissions, so once you allow someone to see the contents of the navigation pane, NOTHING is safe. If your app does everything via forms, you can control what the form will allow through code. Once a user is past the forms, you have ZERO control for a native Access database.

Note that if you have a non-Access back-end like SQL Server or some other SQL engines, you have more control, but still have to be careful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom