Security Problem!! (1 Viewer)

saip15

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:44
Security Help/Questions after Deployment!

Hi everyone,

Ok, so I created a copy of a non-secure database that I was working on and placed it in another folder on the same shared drive and renamed it. With the copied database I went ahead and applied security and everything is working fine. Now when i try to open any other database on my shared folder the security log-in appears, even on back-ups that I have created. Why is the log-in now applied to every database? The issue seems to be with Access, even when I try to create a new database the log-in opos up. FYI: My employer has me working on a terminal server to be able to use Access. Stupid i know!Thanks so much!

Last edited:

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Today, 06:44
Did you "join" the workgroup or just open the secure database with a shortcut? The correct answer should be shortcut, but it sounds like you used the workgroup administrator to "join" your other mdw file.

saip15

Registered User.
Local time
So on the user-level security wizard I selected the "I want make this my default workgroup information file". I looked at where the default .mdw was placed and it was directly in my folder, so there was my problem.

SOS, I tried using the second option which is the shortcut but I have a couple questions. If I use the shortcut method when I try to open the actual .mdb file it won't let me. So I use the shortcut and it works fine. But i am trying to split my DB, how would the shortcut play into the FE/BE if that's the only way to open the secure DB? Thanks

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Okay,

1. You need to use the workgroup administrator to join back to the normal SYSTEM.MDW.

2. You use a shortcut to open the database based on your other workgroup file (and others should as well).

3. If you have secured the other database properly (removing the Admin User (user named "Admin") from the ADMINS group, others should not be able to do anything with your database unless they log in using the shortcut you provide them.

4. To create the shortcut, I like this nice, FREE tool: Headway Shortcut Builder.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Big reminder - do NOT remove the Admin user from the ADMINS group UNTIL you have created another user and put them in the ADMINS group. If you don't and remove the Admin from the Admins group, you will find yourself unable to do any admin stuff with your database EVER again.

saip15

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks SOS! I'll give that a shot! So the shortcut is another way to make the database more secure correct? So when deploying the FE's to user's computers I place the .mdw file on c: and let's just say the shortcut on the desktop? Can it be in the same folder?

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Thanks SOS! I'll give that a shot! So the shortcut is another way to make the database more secure correct? So when deploying the FE's to user's computers I place the .mdw file on c: and let's just say the shortcut on the desktop? Can it be in the same folder?

Actually the MDW file should be on the server with the backend as all users should be accessing that same mdw file.

saip15

Registered User.
Local time
Correct, Sorry I meant the .mdb(FE) file.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Correct, Sorry I meant the .mdb(FE) file.

The frontend should be on the user's computer and you can place it anywhere but I would put it in the same folder on each computer to make it better and easier. Perhaps a C:\Databases folder, or something.

Then, if you build the shortcut for you, it will work for them too because it is in the same folder.

saip15

Registered User.
Local time
Access won't allow me to delete the Admin? Do you have to set another admin first, right? Sorry i'm a noob!

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Access won't allow me to delete the Admin? Sorry i'm a noob!
You don't delete the admin user, you remove them from the Admins Group:

TOOLS > SECURITY > USER AND GROUP ACCOUNTS >

have Admin user selected in the USER drop down and then select ADMINS from the right side listbox (MEMBER OF) and click the REMOVE button.

But, do NOT do that unless you have another user that has ADMINS as one of their MEMBER OF.

saip15

Registered User.
Local time
Under the Admin user there is only User in the Member of:? Is this correct?

saip15

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks so much SOS! Just to clearify, I joined the Security.mdw that I created when setting up the user-level security, I was linked back to the Access\System.mdw before I joined Security.mdw.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Thanks so much SOS! Just to clearify, I joined the Security.mdw that I created when setting up the user-level security, I was linked back to the Access\System.mdw before I joined Security.mdw.

You should join SYSTEM.MDW instead of joining SECURITY.MDW. You use Security.mdw for the shortcut. Otherwise all databases you create from this point out will have the same security as this other one. And, things may be a bit of a mess as you wouldn't be able to change security settings for one database, but one change would affect all.

saip15

Registered User.
Local time
I was joined to the System.mdw before and that's why the log-in was showing up on every database I opened, correct? So the Workgroup administrator controls all of Access right? I guess i'm just confused on what the .mdw does. I created the security .mdw in my DB folder to use.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
I was joined to the System.mdw before and that's why the log-in was showing up on every database I opened, correct? So the Workgroup administrator controls all of Access right? I guess i'm just confused on what the .mdw does. I created the security .mdw in my DB folder to use.

Okay, the mdw file stores the information about your users, permissions, etc. You open using a shortcut so you aren't linked to it permanently (unless of course you want to always have all of your databases secured using that file).

When you go to open a database while connected to the System.mdw file, you can open most databases without a username/password. But if you are joined to the system.mdw file and then open a secured database, it will give you a username/password prompt, because you have removed the general security of Admin user which everyone is, if they are joined to the system.mdw file.

In order to get in and use their permissions, your users (and you) should log on using the special shortcut that opens the file using the other mdw file that you created when putting security on that database.

Does that help at all?

saip15

Registered User.
Local time
That makes sense! So Access still needs to use the default System.mdw but then when the shortcut uses the user-level security .mdw that I created. Gotcha! Thanks for clearing that up. I have taken enough of your time today. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom