Setting text box format to short date and optional short time (1 Viewer)

choaspes

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:10
I want to be able to set text boxes so that if one enters a date and a time it displays in the format "dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm", but if one just enters a date is displays in the format "dd/mm/yyyy". Is this possible?

Stipulating "dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm" means that when you just enter a date it adds "0" values for the time e.g. entering "21/6/13" gives "21/06/2013 00:00".

General Date allows for an optional time, but it means that when you do enter a time it gives you seconds as well "dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss" - and I don't want that.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
not tested but something like this in your date field afterupdate event may work

if txtdate-datevalue(txtdate)=0 then
txtdate.format="dd/mm/yyyy"
else
txtdate.format="dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm"
end if

Note this will not work for continous or datasheet forms

choaspes

Registered User.
Local time
That looks like a stroke of genius to me. Thanks, will try it later!

choaspes

Registered User.
Local time
May I trouble you for one more bit of advice CJ? sorry if it's a completely stupid question...

I just posted a thread on the "reports" bit of the forum in which, I am told, my schoolboy error was formatting dates using Format() not DateValue() - one returning a string, the other returning a date. Why is using Format() correct in this scenario but wrong in the other? Is it because the form is writing to a field in which the data type is already set as Date/Time whereas in the query there is no such straightjacket for the result?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
The first thing you need to know if you don't already is that the Format is merely for display, date/time is stored as a double with the integer part representing the year and the decimal the time, so when you store only the date 0 is stored for the time.

Having formatted the date/time in a control then this string will be sorted by text rules as lagbolt advised, here you are viewing only the date part but the zero time will still be stored.

Brian

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Format will always return a string which is fine for presentation purposes but where you require the 'numeric or date' value for calculations/sorting etc you should use datevalue to convert a string to a date.

Ah - been beaten to it by Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Format will always return a string which is fine for presentation purposes but where you require the 'numeric or date' value for calculations/sorting etc you should use datevalue to convert a string to a date.

Ah - been beaten to it by Brian

Answers not quite the same, I feel that yours added clarity

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom