Smartwatches! Some help for an ignorant newbie (2 Viewers)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 04:46
So ... I've decided to take the step to get an Android Smartwatch.

After doing a few weeks of reading research here and there, I still feel slightly less than confident in my understanding of everything.

Please review and correct, add, anything that you think is helpful!

A few notes first: I only want Android, and I only am interested in <$100 (preferably in the $35-$75 range, just trying it out).

I definitely want it synched with my phone enough to receive calls and texts.
This simply has to mean one of: Bluetooth (if you're close to your phone only), Wifi (if you happen to be on Wifi), or Data (pay an actual cell carrier to add your watch to your cell service plan, right?)
I did confirm Verizon can add a watch for $10/mo, I think this is what I'll do.

So I want a watch that can synch with my phone calls/texts and receive them on watch, but I have these questions:

1) what if I use Google Voice? Does that mean Voice has to actually be Installed on the watch itself, or does it have some magic way of working anyway? Does it matter on this issue if I am close (bluetooth, wifi) to the phone, or not?

2) once synched with phone, AND if it has a data plan, I assume I can get calls & texts even when miles away from my phone, is this correct?
3) but even if #2 is "yes", then: if it does have its own data plan, and I have a google pixel with Voice installed, will I be able to get Voice messages on the watch? does it depend on the watch and what can be installed on it, if anything, or does "having data on the watch" magically mean texts wil just come to it, even from non-native-texting-apps ?

If i want to use Google Voice texts on my Smartwatch, is it possible that my ONLY option is to get a watch so high quality that it can have that installed on it or what?

Lastly, for any advice you give, please tell me what types of terms/words, buzzphrases I need to look for in the watch when browsing Amazon ??

Take this as an example:

does 'bluetooth' mean it can't do wifi, or isn't "cellular"? my verizon person said it has to be 'cellular'

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:46
A smartwatch with Cellular (LTE is often used to indicate the Celluar capability) will not cost under $100 and be worth buying IMHO.

I have Samsung Galaxy 3 (which is pretty old now) and still functions well, but I hardly ever wear it as charging it up every couple of days becomes a PITA.

If I were going to buy a new one I would probably look at a newer Samsung model or more likely a Garmin Fenix. The Garmin isn't LTE but does everything I want a smartwatch to do and lasts for weeks on a single charge, depending on use.

Anyway, to answer your questions:
1) what if I use Google Voice? Does that mean Voice has to actually be Installed on the watch itself, or does it have some magic way of working anyway? Does it matter on this issue if I am close (bluetooth, wifi) to the phone, or not?
Without it's own Celluar data it will need to be connected to either a wifi signal or bluetoothed to your phone for data.

2) once synched with phone, AND if it has a data plan, I assume I can get calls & texts even when miles away from my phone, is this correct?
Correct it works like a mini wrist phone!

3) but even if #2 is "yes", then: if it does have its own data plan, and I have a google pixel with Voice installed, will I be able to get Voice messages on the watch? does it depend on the watch and what can be installed on it, if anything, or does "having data on the watch" magically mean texts wil just come to it, even from non-native-texting-apps ?
I'm not so clear on this, there are a couple of smartwatch OS's and they do different things and have different capabilities - have a google about their pro's and con's.

One thing that annoyed me was that Samsung's "Pay" app doesn't support any UK banks so you can't use it as a contactless payment option. This may have changed since I last looked into it but was another reason I stopped wearing it.

Jason Lee Hayes

Local time
Not an nswer but personally smart watches are over rated. I'm fortunate to own the Samsung flagship smartwatch and I'm a tecky guy therefore do use many of it's features however some features are gimics used to promote sales. The accuracy of some of the sensors built in are fair at best and should not be relied upon. The user interface is clunky as well and apps can be slow sometimes.

I think before anyone goes out to buy one ask yourself are the costs outwayed by benefits and identify exactly what your requirementa are. In many Instances the cheaper android watches will be suitable.

tmyers

Local time
Today, 07:46
I own a Galaxy watch and even "refurbished" it was around $200. I love it when I am being really active at work and not at my desk since my phone almost never leaves vibrate I cant miss the watch going off if I get a call or text. Just like Minty however, mine tends to spend most its time sitting on its little charging pedestal and isn't worn very often but I still don't regret buying it.

As Minty said, if you want and LTE watch, you are going to have to be looking in the $200 or more range to get one that is worth anything. Less than $100 and it will be junk or strictly for working out and such like a FitBit.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Same watch as Minty. Has a real Dick Tracy vibe.

download.jpg

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
I have an Apple Smartwatch, but many of the features and functions are similar enough. When I last upgraded my iPhone, AT&T offered a deal where I received the Smartwatch at no additional cost. Well, the fuzzy details probably show that's not the case, but the bottom line was the monthly bill went down by $20 a month WITH the watch thrown in.

Anyway, I like it for a few things. Walking, for instance. It replicates my phone app, MapMyWalk, so that I can glance at my wrist for time and distance en route instead of dragging the phone out of my pocket.

And it does other stuff. Like if I fall down, it panics and offers to dial 911 for me.

And it does other stuff too, I guess.

If it weren't "free", I doubt I'd have it, I guess.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
The only drawback to my watch is I constantly get automated calls from the gynecologist of the woman who had my watches phone number before me. I keep telling them its the wrong number and they say they'll change it in their system but never do.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
The only drawback to my watch is I constantly get automated calls from the gynecologist of the woman who had my watches phone number before me. I keep telling them its the wrong number and they say they'll change it in their system but never do.
My carrier allows me to block incoming calls from numbers I designate. There must be hundreds of them by now.

I always figure if the callee doesn't show up for an appointment because the caller used the wrong phone number and got blocked, the two of them will eventually get together and sort it out ;)

There's a woman somewhere whose first name starts with "G" who has probably missed a lot of hair appointments. They seem not to have noticed the reason for that yet.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Thank you all for the helpful advice, very much appreciated and will take it all into account.
I did find out yesterday that all smartwatches sold by Verizon (even the $50 ones) are "cellular", they have their own data, and for $10/mo they have their own number, calls, texts.

However, I definitely want it to ALSO have WearOS so that I can synch it very successfully with my Google phone.

I'm planning to get the Fossil Gen5 which I think will be a good starting place for me to jump in. At $5/mo plus $10 for data, it's a decision I can live with.

Generally speaking, I tend to do well with cheaper products than most people. I did finally upgrade my phone from a $35 Risio to a Google Pixel about a year ago, but that's only because Verizon basically gave it to me for free :) I do enjoy it though, I have to admit.

But still, the $35 Risio -- a type of product that most people would have claimed "it will be junk and not work" -- worked perfectly well for years!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Thank you all for the helpful advice, very much appreciated and will take it all into account.
I did find out yesterday that all smartwatches sold by Verizon (even the $50 ones) are "cellular", they have their own data, and for $10/mo they have their own number, calls, texts.

However, I definitely want it to ALSO have WearOS so that I can synch it very successfully with my Google phone.

I'm planning to get the Fossil Gen5 which I think will be a good starting place for me to jump in. At $5/mo plus $10 for data, it's a decision I can live with.

Generally speaking, I tend to do well with cheaper products than most people. I did finally upgrade my phone from a $35 Risio to a Google Pixel about a year ago, but that's only because Verizon basically gave it to me for free :) I do enjoy it though, I have to admit.

But still, the $35 Risio -- a type of product that most people would have claimed "it will be junk and not work" -- worked perfectly well for years!
@Isaac that link does not work for me?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Echoing Minty's words about cost: I have the Galaxy 5 and it is just, as Moke says, pure Dick Tracy! Well worth the cost IMHO
John,
Does that allow calls?
I was gifted a Fitnus smartwatch. I initially only wanted one for my steps as diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and wanted to know what little exercise I did.
I am impressed with the battery life and the other feature, heart rate, blood pressure.
I do get notifications of text with display and vibrate and the battery lasts for almost 2 weeks.

However it does not make or receive calls.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
John,
Does that allow calls?...
...However it does not make or receive cacalls.
Good morning Paul,

It does indeed. As long as I am connected to my phone, I can make and receive calls and texts. It will even show me who is at my front door when my Ring system alerts me and allow me to speak to whoever is there.

Real Dick Tracy-Geek mode. I love it even though its girly...

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Good morning Paul,

It does indeed. As long as I am connected to my phone, I can make and receive calls and texts. It will even show me who is at my front door when my Ring system alerts me and allow me to speak to whoever is there.

Real Dick Tracy-Geek mode. I love it even though its girly...
Thanks John.
The more male looking versions appear to be much more expensive. :)

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
As long as I am connected to my phone,
Mine has its own number and will make and receive calls without being connected to my phone. When my phone is on it will sync with my watch. If my phone dies or runs out of juice the watch will work independently. Nice to have a backup since I haven't had a land line in many years.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I had the 1st Gen Fossil - not a bad gadget!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom