SQL Editor Add-In Recommendation (1 Viewer)

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:23
@ebs17
Still lost. I'm not seeing anything after reopening the form.

dobseh

Local time
Today, 23:23
@ebs17
Still lost. I'm not seeing anything after reopening the form.
I played with it a bit and couldn't get the dropdown to show up in Access 365, I didn't persist with it because Access SQL Editor suggested elsewhere in this thread seemed to do everything I was looking for, apart from the intellisense aspect.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@dobseh,
I am running 365 also and am not seeing the dropdown. Perhaps it is an issue with 365 not supporting/acting well with this particular software? I like Daniel's site, examples and Youtube channel, but this download is very confusing (to me at least).
If someone has a 2 minute video or gif showing this in operation I'm sure it would be helpful to potential users.

ebs17

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:23
I'm using a plain Access 2010. I have attached a picture for a visual impression.
You will see highlighting of the current line, a highlighting of keywords. Then I clicked on the field ProtokollDatum, and this is promptly highlighted in yellow in all the positions that occur. There is also some intellisense when typing.

editor1.png

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@ebs17

This is what I see in the form SQLEditor (no buttons etc)
1668189921776.png

ebs17

Local time
This is frustrating. But I don't know the reason.
The controls are also not present in the design view?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I've worked in IT for 20+ years, assuming the worst with Microsoft is absolutely warranted. Keeping in mind the project was meant for GR over 18 months ago and it's not even listed as in development anymore.

It's not ambiguity - it's not on the roadmap, assume it doesn't exist/will never ship. A pessimist is never disappointed.

I agree with the comments by @sonic8 and @GPGeorge
In fact, I have written a couple of articles recently about changes to the roadmap with the latest available here:

I also wrote similar comments in reply to the original article at MS Tech Community

As there was no direct reply from the Access team (possibly due to a recent staffing change in the team), Karl Donaubauer asked Michael Aldridge the same question at the recent AEK conference. @sonic8 was helping to organise that conference and gave you the official reply earlier.

Whether you or I like the way the roadmap has changed isn't the point. The Monaco editor is still planned for the future. Hopefully in 2023 . . .

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
For info, here is a screenshot of the Access SQL Editor add-in that I use

1668191543134.png

The price is just 10 USD (approx 9 GBP). A free 14 day trial version is available

dobseh

Local time
I agree with the comments by @sonic8 and @GPGeorge
In fact, I have written a couple of articles recently about changes to the roadmap with the latest available here:

I also wrote similar comments in reply to the original article at MS Tech Community

As there was no direct reply from the Access team (possibly due to a recent staffing change in the team), Karl Donaubauer asked Michael Aldridge the same question at the recent AEK conference. @sonic8 was helping to organise that conference and gave you the official reply earlier.

Whether you or I like the way the roadmap has changed isn't the point. The Monaco editor is still planned for the future. Hopefully in 2023 . . .
Copium springs eternal, like the second coming, it'll be along real soon, we just need to be patient... I'm a cynic through a lifetime of disappointment.

dobseh

Local time
For info, here is a screenshot of the Access SQL Editor add-in that I use

The price is just 10 USD (approx 9 GBP). A free 14 day trial version is available

I've been playing with this today, I really like it. I've reached out to the author to see if they are planning to move it out of "maintenance updates only "and back into active development as Monaco(regardless of it's roadmap status) doesn't appear to be along soon.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I can understand your cynicism and, if you read my articles & earlier responses, I share them to some extent.
However, your earlier comments were factually incorrect.

I can assure you that the Access MVPs are continuing to push that new features such as the Monaco editor will be delivered.

In the meantime. I'm glad you like the Access SQL Editor.
Recommend you also look at Chris Arnold's Access Studio - its also available from my website and an updated version is actively being worked on at present
There is a link to the presentation done for Access Europe earlier this year

dobseh

Local time
However, your earlier comments were factually incorrect.
Which one? I clarified that I should have said "Which was cancelled" originally, that is a fact that roadmap was cancelled. Everything else I've said is my (very jaundiced) opinion on the situation.

ebs17

Local time
the Access SQL Editor add-in that I use
There are no more highlights, everything is colorful there, too colorful for me. I have trouble actually reading the statement, and in order to understand a statement I need to be able to read it. Can you turn that down?

I don't need much color to read and I need indented formatting like you know it from good VBA code.

Last edited:

dobseh

Local time
@dobseh,
I am running 365 also and am not seeing the dropdown. Perhaps it is an issue with 365 not supporting/acting well with this particular software? I like Daniel's site, examples and Youtube channel, but this download is very confusing (to me at least).
If someone has a 2 minute video or gif showing this in operation I'm sure it would be helpful to potential users.
So I had another little play with this; try going into Design view and resizing the large unbound WebBrowser control so it's smaller. Mine looks like this:

1668194039936.png

means that you can see the buttons on the form view.

1668194598866.png

There must be something funky in the way that later versions of Access render the webcontrol in the form view. Very much out of my area of knowledge though.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
There are no more highlights, everything is colorful there, too colorful for me. I have trouble actually reading the statement, and in order to understand a statement I need to be able to read it. Can you turn that down?

I don't need much color to read and I need indented formatting like you know it from good VBA code.

One of the things many people want from a replacement SQL editor is colour formatting which this, and Access Studio both provide:

1668196672002.png

I've also shown the use of highlighting above with the Find feature
You can easily edit the font size / style.
AFAIK, indenting isn't featured
Apparently, it is possible to edit the colour but I've never felt the need - see the ASE add-in website for how its done

I noticed your own add-in has indenting but no colour

ebs17

Local time
I noticed your own add-in has ... no colour
Yes, originally the solution should also be for older Access versions that did not yet know Richtext. It stayed that way, I didn't really miss colored highlights, not even for longer SQL statements (you know, I also write nested and more complex queries). The formatting by indentation brings much more in terms of readability.

However, I would tend to incorporate Daniel's solution into my add-in.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
To summarize from the discussion so far, I see these recommended solutions

1. Access Studio
Author: Chris Arnold
Cost: Free

2. Access Improved SQL Editor
Author: Daniel Pineault
This sounds like some people are having issues with it running on certain versions of Access. I have not checked this out because for some reason I cannot get it to download at all.

3. Access SQL Editor
Author: Field Effect LLC
Cost: 10.00 USD

4. Query Helper
Author: EBS17
https://www.access-programmers.co.u...tor-add-in-recommendation.325545/post-1852794

Did I miss any?
If I get time I will try to summarize the capabilities in each.

Last edited:

Mindflux

Local time
Today, 17:23
I've been using the Field Effect Access SQL Editor for a while. I like it quite a bit and the dev is responsive if you have questions or bugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom