Question SQL editor for Access 2003 (1 Viewer)

rkaupp

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:37
Hello,

I'm not sure this is the right forum but I didn't find my answer through other searches.

I find the built-in SQL editor for queries in Access 2003 pretty limited, and I was wondering whether there is somewhere an external SQL editor (maybe available through an add-in to Access), which would do some of the following:

• SQL syntax highlighting
  • Find / replace
  • Helps you type table and field names
Any advice or previous experience ? I am currently using the Notepad whenever I get frustrated by Access' SQL query editor. I should maybe mention that I am looking for free software if possible (working in a charity and being on a tight budget!)

Thanks,
Rémi

Scooterbug

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:37
Have you tried building the query in the Query Builder first? That would save on having to type in the table and field names.

If you try and run a query that has a syntax error, Access should throw up an error and tell you/highlight the syntax error.

As for Find and Replace...you can copy the Sql into notepad, Find and Replace there, then copy and paste back into the Sql Editor.

rkaupp

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:37
Yes I regularly use the query builder, but then I have a number of UNION queries which are either impossible or hard to edit in the query builder (this is due to the design of the database, something I don't have control on unfortunately).

If there is a syntax error, actually Access tells me about it but doesn't highlight the error, so I have to guess more or less easily where it is. And syntax highlighting is useful when there are many fields involved and many conditions in a WHERE clause for instance.

Thanks,
Rémi

Scooterbug

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:37
Well, never had to use a plug in for query design....but a quick google search turned up a few.

One called Quick Query v1.1.2 ($20)
and Data Service and Query Builder Tool V1.1.0 ($29.95)

Never used em....but might be worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom