Stop drop down from displaying on a combo (1 Viewer)

mattcdse

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:38
Hi all,

I was wondering if it is possible to prevent the drop down list from displaying on a combo box, and even better, to hide the drop down button. I know this just sounds like using change to and changing the combo to a text. However, as the text box doesn't have the same properties, it won't display the correct information and explaining how the combo box get its information is a little complicated. If there isn't a way, I'll try to explain in a reply. :)

Cheers,

Matt

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:38
What are you trying to accomplish? I don't believe you can hide the button on the combo box but you can lock the field.

R

Rich

Paste a label over the drop down button

mattcdse

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:38
Tricky Data Retrieval!

Hi all,

Rich - Nice idea, but it looks a little unprofessional. Certainly hides the button!

Keith - Are you ready for a bit of a complicated one?? Here goes!

Firstly I am trying to retrieve data from three tables in a format like this

Table Data Fields Descirption

Table 1 A,B PC Details
Table 2 B,C Software/PC
Table 3 C,1,2 Software Details

Where the B's are linked as are the C's and these both form primary keys in their respective tables.

My form has on sub form in it. The main for refers to Table 1, displaying Fields A and B. My subform is linked through child/master fields by B and is used to edit which software titles are installed on each PC. However, as C, the primary key for the software, is a code, it is not obvious what it refers to exactly. Therefore I use a combo box who's row source is query containing the software title (1) and the column widths precceding the software title are set to 0 so that software title (1) is visible in the field in the subform. Hence, although you change the title name on the form, the actual change is made in Table 2 altering the Software Code (C). This is fine, except that there is more than one version (2) of some of the software titles. The versions are shown in the drop down list for the software title combo as an extra colum, so you know you are choosing the correct one. But i also want a seperate field which actually shows the version chosen. I cannot link a normal text box to the same query as it doesn't have the relevant properties, but I can do it with a combo as I am effectively doing the same as for the software title.

This is all very well, I could just lock the combo box and be done with it, but it doesn't look very professional and is a bit confusing to the user. Is there away that I can get around this problem? :confused:

Cheers,

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom