Strange Modal Form Behaviour (1 Viewer)

MLUCKHAM

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:53
Help!

I have some serious odd behavior on a couple of PC's. I have DB that uses Access 2010 runtime. The DB uses modal / pop-up forms. This system is installed on about 300 PC's running a range of OS - Windows 7, 8.1 and 10.

On two computers so far we have a strange issue. When a form is opened and it is modal and pop-up, if that then opens another modal and pop-up, the first form can still be placed on top of the other. When this happens the second form still has the focused and so the app becomes unusable.

Luckily, one of the PC's has Access 2013 on it so I created a simple DB which I attach. Open frm1. Click the button and frm2 opens. If you move frm2 out of the way, on my PC I cannot click on frm1 which is the correct behavior. However, on the user with the problem PC you can click on frm1!

So in summary, this is definitely a machine specific issue. It is rare. It could be OS related, I am trying to find out what the other PC OS is. It could be graphics card related. Anyone come accross this issue in the past? :banghead:

Attachments

• Database1.accdb
    384 KB · Views: 73

Tieval

Still Clueless
Local time
It is happy on Windows 10 using Access 2013 on my machine.

MLUCKHAM

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for checking. Yep, I have Windows 10 and Modal means Modal for my machine.

I am waiting to here back from the other user, but I wonder if he is using Windows 8.1 as well...

I change the test DB to open the second form as a dialogue and still it allows me to bring the first form to the top window (on the user machine)...

So I presently have no work around which is a worry...

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:53
Windows 7 and Access 2016. I cannot click on frm1.
It is a strange behavior... Or maybe a windows 10 thing. Maybe they keep track of the number of modal windows and descide only 1 modal view can be displayed on screen and make the frm2 default non modal.

MLUCKHAM

Registered User.
Local time
OK - thank for checking. Luckily it seems a rare one, but 2 machines in 300 is not rare enough for me! The odd thing is the behavior I am seeing is "sort of modal". On the user machine I can click on frm1, it looks like it has focus (e.g. brought to the top), but you cannot click on the button. You can bring frm2 back to the top by clicking on it... I will try and get a video sorted so you can see the behavior...

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
not tried, but maybe although the modal form appears to have the focus (since the form above is 'locked') it may not have the focus from windows perspective

so perhaps after you have opened the form in modal view you should specifically set the focus

docmd.openform "modalform",,,,,,acDialog
forms("modalform").setfocus

MLUCKHAM

Registered User.
Local time
I think it has got focus. The issue is that after it has loaded, if you then try to put the focus on the lower window (which according to Microsoft Form.Modal Property - https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff821033.aspx - says "When you open a modal window, other windows in Microsoft Access are disabled until you close the form (although you can switch to windows in other applications). To disable menus and toolbars in addition to other windows, set both the Modal and PopUp properties to Yes."

In this instance, if I click on the lower window the frm1 is brought to the top - something that should be impossible and certainly something I have not seen in 20 years of using Access...

MLUCKHAM

Registered User.
Local time
OK, I have recorded a video of me running my test database on the users machine. Have a look if you are bored!

The other really weird bit of info is that if the user logs onto another machine she gets the same behavior.

So, as an experiment I asked a different user to log onto her machine and it works fine! So, the issue is profile related!!! How can a Windows Profile effect the behavior of the Modal form setting ....!!!????

Attachments

• AccessIssue.zip
    634.3 KB · Views: 71

Samantha

still learning...
Local time
Today, 11:53
Hi there,

I was having some issues with modal forms in my DB. Certain users would go to open these forms and they would load then freeze and the whole program became unresponsive. For me I changed the form's properties Moveable: yes & Auto Center: yes. It cleared up my issues. I can't explain it at all and this might be totally irrelevant to your issues. We are on Windows 10/Access 2016 and it was a issue in Access 2013 too.

Samantha

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom