Switchboard "locking" (1 Viewer)

Jurni

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:02
I have created a switchboard, which is the only thing in the data base that I want others to have access to. I've got it set up to open the switchboard when you go into the database, but anyone can click on the "X" in the upper right corner to close it and see everything else that's in there. I should be the only one that can access the other forms, tables, queries, etc. Is there any way to "lock" the switchboard so others don't have access to the other "stuff"?

DMC

Registered User.
Local time
One solution (without making the database an MDE file) is to remove the close form function (X) and make the form Modal which will not allow them to access any forms behind the switchboard as the focus will remain on the switchboard until they select an option. Then you must create a button on the switchboard that allows the user to exit the application. This should keep them in the loop of your application but it will not stop a persistent user from accessing other objects. Removing the control bar at the top of the switchboard form will also stop them from moving the switchboard and 'viewing' any of the objects behind. All of these options can be found in the 'Form Properties' section. Hope this is of some help and Merry Christmas.

Jurni

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for your advise. If I remove the close form function (X), will that only prevent others from closing the switchboard to get into the other tables, forms etc. or will I be "locked out" too? I tried to add an "exit" button to my switchboard as you suggested, using the switchboard manager. I tried to edit it by putting "exit application" in the command line, but I didn't get a new button and the label can only be seen in the design view. What am I doing wrong? Also, what did you mean by making the form "Modal"? How do I do that? I didn't see "Modal" anywhere in the form properties.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:02
Yes, it will lock you out also.

Why don't you just make an .mde file. It will be smaller and so load faster and prevents users from changing any database objects. Create a "backend" database to hold the tables and a "frontend" database to hold the form, query, report, etc. objects. You can use the database splitter wizard to do this for you. This will allow you to easily swap in a new "frontend" without disturbing their data. Don't forget to keep backups of your .mdb files since once you turn a database into an .mde THERE IS NO WAY TO GO BACK.

Jurni

Registered User.
Local time
By creating an .mde file, the others will still have access to reports that I don't want them to see. The only two things they should see in the data base are the switchboard and one form. Thanks anyhow. Please let me know if you come up with anything else.

Travis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:02
Maybe the best solution here (mind you it's extra work for you on the back end) is to create a User MDE file. This file would be only the objects that you want the users to be able to use. (e.g., don't include reports or forms that the users are not suppose to use). The other way to handle this could be through the use of Security Features within Access. To better understand these (as space does not permit here to go into length) use the help file or procure an Access book that clearly defines the Security features and how to set them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom