System/Security.mdw 2003 to 2007 (1 Viewer)

jaydwest

JayW
Local time
Today, 16:40
my client has a MSA2003 database that they now run under MSA2007. Despite the documentation that MSA 2007 is compatible with the existing MSA2003 security, It appears that the System.mdw and workgroup admin functions have been changed significantly in MSA2007.

If an MSA2003 database running under MSA2007 loses the System.mdw file, it appears to create a problem.

Is there a way to join an existing System.mdw file using MSA 2007? I understand that if you migrate to OFF 2007 it should work. However, if the System.mdw gets lost, MSA 2007 creates a new file Security.mdw. I tried to connect to my old System.mdw using the MSA 20007 Workgroup Admin but it didn't seem like that was an option.

I understand you can reset the path and file using the Registry and while this is OK for my, I would not recommend it to my client. Is there a way to do this using MSA2007?

Thanks for your help.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:40
Are you using custom shortcuts to open the secured db with the correct workgroup mdw file? If not, you should. You should not be using a system.mdw file to secure a db. The mdw file should be renamed. Losing the system.mdw file [not sure how you lose it] should not be a problem. You should not join a computer to a customized mdw file. All 2003 and older databases are secured to the computers default system.mdw file.

Example of the Target property of a customized shortcut to open a secured db...

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\msaccess.exe" /wrkgrp "X:\Databases\Sample\Workgroup.mdw" "X:\Data\Bases\Testing\DB.mdb" /user TestUser

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Today, 15:40
You should not be joining any other workgroup. You should be using shortcuts to open based on the mdw. There is no workgroup administrator in 2007 so if you are not joined to the normal System.mdw then you basically have two options - install 2003 and then use the workgroup admin to join back to the default system.mdw or uninstall Access completely and then reinstall.

jaydwest

JayW
Local time
Thanks for the quick response. I have not in the past (MSA 2003) not put the security file in the Desktop shortcut for security reasons. It looks as if I should be doing it.

Can I simply use my old System.mdw file or do I need to use a Security.mdw file? They appear to be different.

In my case, I believe I lost the system.mdw file because I removed Office 2003 before I installed Office 2007. Yes I did make backups of everything b4.

Thanks again for your help.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Today, 15:40
Thanks for the quick response. I have not in the past (MSA 2003) not put the security file in the Desktop shortcut for security reasons.
Actually, there is no security reason to do that. If you have the database set up properly, then someone can't use your shortcut to get in if they do not have a log in.

jaydwest

JayW
Local time
Tried to start Database with the following desktop shortcut

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\Test\Warp2000.mdb" /wrkgrp “C:\Test\System.mdw”

I get the following message

The command line you used contains an option that Microsoft Office Access doesn't recognize as an Microsoft Office Access Option.

I must be blind. What am I missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom