Table of Rules (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:53
I also have similar situations. Data collection is piecemeal but you validate what you have whenever you can. I also have final validation when reports run. But the validation as data is entered,minimizes the likelihood of final errors. No one wants to get errors when they're trying to print a final report.

Based on the user's comments, it sounded like he thought the validation would be in the control events and yes, that is extremely awkward when multiple fields are involved.

micks55

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:53
Just to reassure everyone, it does have table level validations and form BeforeUpdate events so all is ok at the moment and the people who have been using the program for the last 12 years are competent and happy.

The question was about adding/editing data validations or rules without issuing a new FE and could that be done using a table.

MajP has given me hope and I will be pursuing his suggestion as soon as time allows.

Thanks again.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:53
The question was about adding/editing data validations or rules without issuing a new FE and could that be done using a table.

You are so obsessed with not having to replace the FE, all I can think is that you don't have an automated replacement method. Is that your problem? This is so transparent to my users when I replace the FE that I'm really having trouble figuring out why it is such a problem for you.

1. The "production" BE is in a shared folder on the server.
2. In the same folder is a BAT file with four lines of code (I keep the .bat file on the server so if I have to change it, I don't have to distribute a new version.
3. Each user has a desktop shortcut that runs the .bat file whenever he opens the application.

It is rare that I have the need to do mid-day releases. When I do, I have to send out an email to get everyone to log out. And, then chase down anyone who didn't. Which is why I don't do this unless it is an emergency.

When the users come in the next morning and open the app, the new version is copied from the server to their local PC and they have no knowledge that it even happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom