Table with 3 types of data (1 Viewer)

thart21

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:41
I have 50 employees that have to complete some or all of 83 training documents. I need to build a table that will allow me to show what docs each employee needs to complete and the dates they completed them. I want to be able to print out reports for each employee as well as a summary of all. I am very new to Access 2000. Am I going to have to set up a seperate table for each employee or each document?

Thanks for your help, I am just learning Access 2000.

cogent1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:41
You have an interesting few months ahead if you are as inexperienced as this post seems to imply;) .

The first step is to set up your tables.

prefix all your tablenames with tbl (tblEmployees). Don't use spaces in your field names, but capitalize words (FirstName, LastName).

All Employees and details relating DIRECTLY to them go in one table ( PayrollID, Name,DateOfBirth,Department). If PayrollID is a unique identifier make this a primary key field.

All Documents and details relating DIRECTLY to them go in another table (tblDocument) DocumentID, Subject, DateCreated etc.

You will then need to create a third table (tblEmployeeDocuments)which links Employees to specific documents. This will have to include the key fields from each of the foregoing tables.

This is the very simplest scenario possible. If your documents have differing Authors for example, you'll need an Authors Table linked to your Document Table.

You can't avoid an intensive cramming session on ACCESS before you start. The basic structure of your db must be right to begin with if you wish to avoid endless revisions and corrections further down the line.

I would strongly advise you to look through the Database wizards for a sample db that comes closest to doing what you want to do, and using that as a template. And buy a good book on Access.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 09:41
Hi

The advice from Cogent1 is spot on.

You will also need to create forms for data input and linked forms to link the person to the relevant documents etc etc etc.

I would suggest you do things in bite-sized pieces and if you are unsure as to the next move - post a question in the relevant forum here. Various people will answer you and will be "gentle" if you are very new to Access. Try to be as detailed as possible with your problem (as you have already) this will help you to get a speedy reply. Remember not to post the same question in different forums as this leads to confusion.

Good luck and cancel any holidays you may have booked!!!

Col

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom