Time Calculation (2 Viewers)

dttate66

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:14
It gave me a "Syntax error" when running and stopped and highlighted yellow this part;

"Public Function TimeDurationAsDate(pvFrom As Variant, pvTo As Variant) As Date"

David

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 07:14
OK, cleaned it up and THIS TIME I DIDN'T FORGET TO COPY THE ENDING END FUNCTION...Grrrr....:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Code:
Public Function TimeDurationAsDate(pvFrom As Variant, pvTo As Variant) As Date

Dim afError As Integer
Dim adReturn As Date

afError = 0
adReturn = 0

If Nz(pvFrom, 0) = 0 Then afError = 1
If Nz(pvTo, 0) = 0 Then afError = 1
If IsDate(pvFrom) = False Then afError = 1
If IsDate(pvTo) = False Then afError = 1

If afError = 0 Then
    If pvTo < pvFrom Then
        If Int(pvFrom) + Int(pvTo) = 0 Then pvTo = pvTo + 1
    End If
    adReturn = pvTo - pvFrom
End If
TimeDurationAdDate = adReturn
End Function

dttate66

Registered User.
Local time
Oh man!, Mark you are a genius! it worked, left all those #Error's blank and my reports ran perfectly! I owe you a great big Steak Dinner if I ever come to Vancover!, but I did notice one thing it is doing, from 12:00am to 8:00am, it shows "0", or from any number to midnight the same thing.

David

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 15:14
David

Obviously it's your database and you are free to do what you want
Having said that:

1. It's easy to concatenate separate fields for use in the functions.
E.g. Use a query with a field
Code:
StartDateTime: [StartDate] & " " & [StartTime]

2. Conversely you can start with one field and just extract the date part for filtering your report ...or whatever

3. Whether you use my functions or not, if you don't want to see zeroes on your report where one of the times is blank, you can use code to replace with an empty string or conditional formatting to 'hide' it e.g white text on white background

Mark
See point 3 above. But 0.00 can also be shown as 0 anyway

EDIT
Just posted and saw Mark's latest reply. Excellent.
Suggest you mark the thread as solved

dttate66

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Colin for the info., I will definitely keep some this in mind going forward.

David

Mark_

Local time
Oh man!, Mark you are a genius! it worked, left all those #Error's blank and my reports ran perfectly! I owe you a great big Steak Dinner if I ever come to Vancover!

David

Hmmm... Steak dinner in Vancover... but your info shows Texas. Some how I think it would be better in Texas.... :cool:

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Ha, ha, I got your steak dinner! ;)
Mark

dttate66

Registered User.
Local time
Obviously I am dealing with two different Marks?? Either way, so maybe one of you that created the code to get rid of my #error, can tell my why a time to midnight (10:00pm to 12:00am) shows "0" until I put it a minute before or after to have it read the Man Hours.

David

dttate66

Registered User.
Local time
Obviously I am dealing with two different Marks?? Either way, so maybe one of you that created the code to get rid of my #error, can tell my why a time to midnight (10:00pm to 12:00am) shows "0" until I put it a minute before or after to have it read the Man Hours.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Well I'm not Mark but there must be a flaw somewhere in your function(s).

It works absolutely fine doing those times using my code (SMUG FACE!)

NOTE: Because the end time is set as 00:00:00, Access just shows the date in the screenshot

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    18.3 KB · Views: 182

dttate66

Registered User.
Local time
Yeah, Mark and MarKK have been helping alot on this, it would take too much to change the whole database and all its structure to your code, plus, I HAVE to have the dates and times in separate fields for many reasons

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Don't worry - I wasn't really expecting you to change it now :D

However, I was interested to see if I had the same issue (& pleased that I didn't)

You now need to review the logic in your original function(s)

Mark_

Local time

Because if you pass the code I set up a null OR a zero, it returns zero. Do you need it to work only with time values?

Mark_

Local time
I've got a little app I am playing with to demonstrate how SQL / ACCESS actually deals with date/times. Please see the attached.

Unless I know exactly what you plan to pass to a function, it can be really difficult to do proper error checking. If you wish to pass times and have them work, change the nz checking on the passed values to IS NULL checking. That way it will accept 12:00am as a valid time (converts to 0) without considering it an error.

Attachments

• Time.zip
    76 KB · Views: 62

dttate66

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, that is what I need, to recognize 12:00 am as a valid time. How and where do I change the NZ's?

David

Mark_

Local time
The first two checks.

Code:
If Nz(pvFrom, 0) = 0 Then afError = 1
If Nz(pvTo, 0) = 0 Then afError = 1

becomes
Code:
If IsNull(pvFrom) = True Then afError = 1
If IsNull(pvTo) =True Then afError = 1

As a generic piece of code I wasn't sure if you were going to be mixing and matching date/times, time values, and NULL values. You will have to do some checking when data is entered to make sure what YOU want stored gets stored if someone enters data then deletes it from a field.

dttate66

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Mark, you really have been a tremendous help, that took care of the problem.

P.S. I still owe you that steak dinner wherever you are, but yes, they are better here in Dallas.

David

Mark_

Local time
David,

I'd have to let you know when I'm in your "Neck of the woods". Have a friend down in Hutto.

dttate66

Registered User.
Local time
Close to Austin, I know where it is. Just give me shout, there is plenty of Texas Roadhouse Steak houses' around that area.

David

dttate66

Registered User.
Local time
Mark,
When I have access minimized to where only the forms or reports show, I noticed it does not let you use the shortcut menu (right-click drop down), is there a way to force it?

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom