Transform PostgreSQL to Access SQL (1 Viewer)

jaryszek

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:07
Hi,

looking for a tool which help to transfrom PostgresSQL to AccessSQL.
I want to just use powerful access quuery designer from postgres.

Thanks for any tips,
Best,
Jacek

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:07
The Access tools create Access syntax and there isn't any way to change that. You could edit them after the fact to change the syntax is about all I can offer.

jaryszek

Registered User.
Local time
Pat,

thank you. I saw few converters online but hmm they were not efficient unfortunately. There are also paid tools which can transfor access sql to postgresql but i do not know which to choose and what to use. This is why i wrote the question - maybe somebody has more experience?

Best,
Jacek

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:07
I want to just use powerful access quuery designer from postgres.
:LOL: "Powerful" and "Access" don't belong in the same sentence, especially not the query designer. The Access query designer doesn't even support half of what can be done in Access SQL.

Definitely would recommend you do not pursue this path. Access SQL is considerably different from Standard SQL and quite clumsy. The forced nesting join syntax is hideous. What the query designed does to the SQL typed in is abominable. Besides, Access SQL does not support many of the constructs and keywords used in database servers.

You could try looking for a graphical query designer for Postgres but really you need to learn to write SQL. Don't be put off by what you have seen of Access SQL. Standard SQL or T-SQL are easier to write than Access SQL.

jaryszek

Registered User.
Local time
BTW. No other database has drag and drop editor like Access which fasten writing sqls so so much for me.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:07
I also happen to use the QBE for almost every query, at least for the basics and I agree that it is a real time savor. I was writing embedded DB2 SQL in my COBOL programs back in the early 80's. It was tedious and error prone and i used to dream of something like QBE. A lot of people simply prefer to just type the SQL. I don't know why but they do. The QBE has a huge downside and that is that it actually rewrites your SQL so be careful. It doesn't change the logic but it can sure turn a simple statement into a morass of parentheses and compound conditions. A way to prevent this is to never switch to QBE view once you've complicated the SQL. Then Access will leave your code alone because it doesn't have to reformat it so it can present it graphically. MS has lots of room for improvements. Yet it is far superior to the rudimentary tool available in SQL Server. I also prefer to use querydefs in Access rather than embedded SQL and that colors my opinion also.

The biggest syntax issue is the dots where Access SQL uses underscores. If you alias the table names, that should limit the changes required. Again, you are restricted to 1990's SQL because Access hasn't added any new feature to its SQL beyond Multi-value fields and Attachments which are not available in any other RDBMS.

I think we're about to see updates to QBE and they may be out in some channels already.

jaryszek

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for your voice Pat.

I think we're about to see updates to QBE and they may be out in some channels already.

It would be nice to see update but who knows how microoft will support it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom