Trump is still the world's best bet ... (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 06:54
your white picket fence and neatly trimmed front gardens

that's giving us too much credit. All I have is flowers and artificial turf in the back. i personally am interested in british politics, i wish i saw it more on our mainstream media, if it wasn't hard to find i'd watch more of it. i've heard that parliamant sessions often devolve into punching and shoving like as if it was 1600 dueling - would love to see it live!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 14:54
i've heard that parliamant sessions often devolve into punching and shoving like as if it was 1600 dueling - would love to see it live!
Afraid not. That would go against the etiquette of the House of Commons as would using offensive language and disrespectful behaviour to another Member of Parliament, the speaker would expel the offender immediately.
Col

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:54
I try to review the rulings when the Supremes drop them so I saw this. The talking heads on NewsMax have also been discussing the impact and even interviewed a party to the lawsuit. I agree, this is HUGE but ONLY if Congress takes back its power. I'm guessing that Members of Congress are too busy on the cocktail circuit to learn enough about what they are making laws to control to understand how the laws should be implemented. As it stands, way too many of the bills that are passed have been written by lobbyists rather than legislators as the Constitution expected.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:54
I didn't really know where to put this but I think it's important and should be brought to everyone's attention:-

The issue has such far-reaching consequences that it will be probably decades in settling out. The Chevron Deference Doctrine allowed the Executive branch of the U.S. Government to make rules and laws and definitions and interpretations without the action of the Legislative branch, and it ALSO tied the hands of the Judicial branch by requiring judicial deference to the non-legislated rulings.

In essence, it gutted a key clause in the U.S. Constitution relating to "separation of powers" - which is an incredibly important part of the original "checks and balances" built into the government. The simple concept is that the legislative branch creates/passes a law, the executive branch enforces it, and where there is a problem, the judicial branch addresses it. But under Chevron Deference, the executive branch would not rely on Congress and the courts were required to agree with them.

For 40 years it has been the ability of the Executive branch to make new rules essentially by fiat... "Let it be that..." I'll have to eventually look at the decision in depth to see if there is a remedy for the damage already done in the last 40 years. However, when you hear / see discussions of "the deep state" - this is the heart of that discussion. The deep state refers to the ability of the bureaucracy to make up rules as they go, unchecked by Congress or the courts. But now, that ain't gonna happen the same way.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:54
Look for another bombshell on Monday.

"The Supreme Court is set to rule on former President Donald Trump’s claim of immunity from criminal prosecution for his efforts to overturn the 2020 presidential election. The court has left the high-profile case for its final day of the term, which is scheduled for Monday. Trump’s lawyers argue that he is shielded from prosecution because he was acting in his official capacity as president at the time of the alleged crimes. The court’s decision is expected to have significant implications for the criminal case against Trump, which was brought by special counsel Jack Smith."

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Two of the rulings they've already dropped say that the Jan 6th persecutions were unConstitutional.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:54
In this YouTube video where the all-in podcast the team interviewed Donald Trump, at time index 44:44 Trump says that anyone who graduates from college will automatically get a green card!

He has effectively turned the majority of the illegal immigrants into Trump voters, the man is a genius!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
This has been a bone of contention for a long time. Foreign students come here and spend 4 years or longer in college. Then they have a very short time frame in which to find a job or have to go home because their visa has expired.

Trump is now doing what the Dems have been doing for years - buying votes. I do not approve, but then he didn't ask me. Trump can't make this particular promise any more than Biden can promise to forgive college loan debt. These things are simply not in the Presidential job description. Trump can promise to encourage Congress to pass laws but that is all he can do. He can't make them do anything. If you'll recall, for years, the Republicans promised to repeal Obamacare if they regained the Presidency. Well, they made a clean sweep in 2016 and took all three branches. So, the repeal of Obamacare which had been voted on and passed by the House DOZENS of times while Obama was president all of a sudden was DOA once we had a President who would sign the bill if the Congress passed it. The House passed the bill but John McCain was p****d at Trump and so decided to s****w the American people by voting against it and so the one time it mattered, the vote failed and we still struggle with Obamacare to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom