Trying to create a function to calculate a grade (1 Viewer)

Serendipityww

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:31
Scenario: The class has 3 technique checks. If the student makes an A (11) or A- (10) on Tech1 and Tech2, then he won't take Tech3. If the student doesn't make an A or A- on each of the first two then he will take the third technique check.
I need a function to use on a form (actually public as I will also use it with other forms) that will average the two highest technique grades and then multiply by a percent which varies with the course. I have tried an If statement, a case statement, and a bubble sort but can't get it to work.
Also, some courses have two technique checks and others have three or four. That is why I was trying to do a bubble sort. Can I do all with one function or do I need to make a separate function depending on how many technique checks there are?
My VB skills are intermediate. Thanks so much for your help. This forum has saved me from many headaches.

Abby N

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Serendipityww,
Here is a function that will do what you're asking. Paste the code below into a new module. It accepts a variable number of fields and/or static values. Here is an example of the syntax used to call it:

AvgGrade([Factor],[Tech1],[Tech2],[Tech3])

The Factor should be a double between 0 and 1 representing the percent to multiply the average by. If you have any questions feel free to post them here or email me. Good luck!

Code:
Function AvgGrade(ByVal Factor As Double, ParamArray Values()) As Double
Dim x As Integer, int1 As Double, int2 As Double, chk As Integer
x = UBound(Values())
For x = 0 To x
    If Values(x) > int1 Then int1 = Values(x): chk = x
Next x
x = UBound(Values())
For x = 0 To x
    If x <> chk And Values(x) > int2 Then int2 = Values(x)
Next x
AvgGrade = ((int1 + int2) / 2) * Factor
End Function

~Abby

Serendipityww

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks. I will try it. By calling it, you mean put an = in front of AvgGrade([Factor],[Tech1],[Tech2],[Tech3]) and put it as the control source for the control that gets the result?

Abby N

Registered User.
Local time
Exactly. Once you create the function you can use it the same way you would any other function, as a control's source (with the = in front), in subroutines, in query calculations, ect...

~Abby

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom