Tutorials (1 Viewer)

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:27
good day!

I have been seeing to some if not many forum sites in the internet and they have also their downloadables like database samples, code snippets and others.

But I also like the part wherein they have their tutorial section. I think this is somewhat like the downloadable section however it this is much more thorough in teaching how to do things.

I dont know if this can be applicable to this site. Just my thought.

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, AWF have those code repository, sample database and FAQ, however, as I have compared to the tutorial in the other forum (not Access) the tutorial section there was much more thorough as I have read.

It is like, for example the tutorial topic would be How to create sql server connection with Access. It tacked what are needed, how to install the sql server, how to connection the FE to BE sql server. It was like not from the view point of the book like it was bookish learning, but just like you ask information from a friend and your friend tells all about what you need to know.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Well, I'm sorry but it bears to realize that the forum is staffed by volunteers who freely donate their time to help others. Some go as far to write tutorials or FAQs or create a sample.

Maybe someone else will decide to do one more in-depth. But one thing remains: it need not be limited to this forum. There are several other great places (e.g. UtterAccess and usenet newsgroups and various MVP sites) that has great resources. You may want to google Roger's Library if you want something more tutorial-ish.

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
thanks just ok. it was just my thought because I noticed many users are almost daily users, especially those who are really knowledgeable in AWF. it was my thought that this is their happiness and their career.

Local time
Today, 13:27
I can understand why you would think that way. However, I don't believe this is the venue for tutorials, though some brave AWF members have tried. There are also several of our more advanced members who have their own Access sites devoted to their special passion.

Most visitors to the site don't bother reading tutorials (if they did, they wouldn't need to ask the kind of questions they do). And most AWF volunteers (like myself) like to answer targeted questions that relate to their own personal area of expertise.

It just so happens that Microsoft has an excellent Office tutorial section for free that covers almost every topic you could possibly need to get started using Access past a beginner's level. The only thing that site (and almost every site out there) lacks is a tutorial on data normalization, which really takes a special kind of thinking and potentially a goodly amount of experience about what doesn't work.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 19:27
If you have a particular problem then I suggest you post it.

I've noticed that there is one American person here who seems to answer almost every question fairly quickly.
Their technique is to loiter in the "who's online" section, see who's posting a new question, then answer it before anyone else can get to do it. Thus giving the impression that they are super clever.

Obviously they don't deem to answer every question posed though.

Col

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
well I think this can also a venue for tutorial george because it is still the same with our reference section but more thoroughly discussed.

though still many visitors post questions rather looking or searching in our reference section, but still also many if not all benefits from those references also pertaining to tutorials.

i think it is not necessary to post all the tutorial that can be made but those targeted topics that are most relevant little by little.

with regards to the excellent microsoft office tutorial that you stated, yes possibly it can also help but as you also said, there are also things that lacks there.

and since I am more inclined to access forums then, I might rely to the assistance which is more personalized here.

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:27
If you have a particular problem then I suggest you post it.

I've noticed that there is one American person here who seems to answer almost every question fairly quickly.
Their technique is to loiter in the "who's online" section, see who's posting a new question, then answer it before anyone else can get to do it. Thus giving the impression that they are super clever.

Obviously they don't deem to answer every question posed though.

Col

actually, it's even easier than that. there's link at the top of every page called "new posts" you can just click it and it takes you to all the new posts since you last logged on OR, if there are no new posts since you last checked it will display all the new posts in the last 24 hrs.

i like to do a pan-forum search on all threads with "at most 0 replies" and usually "since yesterday and newer". this usually brings up often quick and easy questions that have slipped by other forum users - or perhaps those that have not been tackled yet.

i often cannot answer these myself, but others are quite simple and quick OR they just nee to prod the OP to re-explain a different way for others to know what they're talking about.

as for tutorials, i have written several really LONG posts in reply to some posters questions. design of many-to-many relationship tables comes to mind first, and area in which normalisation is a key concept. tutorials take a LONG time to write and it's easy to leave simple things out by accident. not only that, but as a newbie myself there's lots that i can get wrong.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
actually, it's even easier than that. there's link at the top of every page called "new posts" you can just click it and it takes you to all the new posts since you last logged on OR, if there are no new posts since you last checked it will display all the new posts in the last 24 hrs.

I am aware of that - however, if you use the "who's online" part, you can see who is still writing a post prior to it getting to the "new posts" part, thus allowing this person to pounce as soon as it has been written. Therefore, giving no-one else a chance to answer.

Col

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:27
I am aware of that - however, if you use the "who's online" part, you can see who is still writing a post prior to it getting to the "new posts" part, thus allowing this person to pounce as soon as it has been written. Therefore, giving no-one else a chance to answer.

Col

ah. i see. well, in that case, the rest of us can be smug in the knowledge that we have a life!

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 14:27

Col

Add to that his answers are at times marginal. My feeling is that he uses the forum to do a lot of posts which someone has decided will qualify him for an MVP. I was impressed several years ago when Pat made MVP but if a person of his caliber can obtain it, not so impressive. And he has a short temper, blah, blah, blah… All of why I stopped trying to help people in the Access forums, he dominates the place…

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
I would note that the question is about finding tutorials, not discussing about a poster's style of posting. If the other topic is so important, then I encourage you to respect other people's threads by introducing the topic by starting a new thread or contacting the moderators directly about this.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Add to that his answers are at times marginal. My feeling is that he uses the forum to do a lot of posts which someone has decided will qualify him for an MVP. I was impressed several years ago when Pat made MVP but if a person of his caliber can obtain it, not so impressive. And he has a short temper, blah, blah, blah… All of why I stopped trying to help people in the Access forums, he dominates the place…
Shhh Ken, you'll end up getting banned and your profile deleted;)

Local time
Today, 13:27
well I think this can also a venue for tutorial george because it is still the same with our reference section but more thoroughly discussed.

though still many visitors post questions rather looking or searching in our reference section, but still also many if not all benefits from those references also pertaining to tutorials.

i think it is not necessary to post all the tutorial that can be made but those targeted topics that are most relevant little by little.

with regards to the excellent microsoft office tutorial that you stated, yes possibly it can also help but as you also said, there are also things that lacks there.

and since I am more inclined to access forums then, I might rely to the assistance which is more personalized here.

Fair enough. There are some very good tutorial here.

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 14:27
Wonder why the 'New Posts' list shows a post here at 4:17 but when I come too read it I just see the latest at 4:15?

Edit: Never mind - It just showed up :)

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
actually as i can perceive it, our reference section especially in the sample database or code repository, it is like bits and bits given in one category. for example, let us say we have a tutorial on access security, in our reference section, it gives you one post for code to bypass shift key, another post will give you help on dealing mde issues, another gives you encryption and whats not very helpful when searching is the broad topic name that was given for a specific help.

whereas, in the tutorial as wiklendt said, it takes long time to write because it is thorough, whereas in tutorial, all those bits of information are gathered into one tutorial topic How to secure you Access database. though yes, there can be books that can be read about the topic, but this is a personalized getting of information wherein it is not bookish, it is like you ask a question to your friend and your friend gives you all the information pertaining it.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
or contacting the moderators directly about this.

It would be useful if we knew who the mods are. Personally I have no idea.

Is there a list somewhere? How do we know when they change?

Col

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
It would be useful if we knew who the mods are. Personally I have no idea.

Is there a list somewhere? How do we know when they change?

Col
As far as I know the mods are DCrake, Wazz, Pat Hartman and Mile-O. Apologies to any I may have missed. DCrake and Wazz seem to be the only active ones at present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom