Two Table Structure Options (1 Viewer)

mstorer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:14
I am laying out the specs for a new DB for our company that will track applications that our offices receive. I am at a point in the table layout that I need an outside opinion. I hope this is clear and concise:

Our company has 4 branches that handle different types of insurance. 90% of our applications will be processed by only one branch. The other 10% of applications will need several types of insurance and be split between any combination of the remaining three branches.

For an application that is split, any one branch wants the ability to see on one form what the other branches are doing with it via an [Action] or [Status] field. I have attached two versions of the database structure. My gut tells me that Version 1 is the way to go, but I just wanted to check with the experts. I also want to make sure that I have the multi-field keys set up correctly. I know there is also debate on how one’s keys should be set up. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Version1.zip
    9.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Version2.zip
    11.8 KB · Views: 108
Local time
Today, 06:14
It's been my experience that you should never design a database with multiple tables that are used to store basically the same information. Maybe there are times when you should do it but I've yet to come across one. With that said I'd say your first design is the way to go.
Joe

mstorer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:14
Thanks Joe. After experimenting with some test data, the first example does seem like the way to go. Thanks again for the input.

- Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom