Type Mismatch Error (1 Viewer)

Moore71

DEVELOPER
Local time
Today, 06:58
Hi, I am trying to write a code into my small application but it keeps throwing errors when I compile it (Type Mismatch)
Below is the exact code throwing error at .OpenCurrentdb:

Code:
Set dbs = CurrentDb
Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT tblItem.QtyAvail, tblItem.UnitSale, tblClient.ClientAcc, tblOutbound.ClientID, tblOutbound.QtyOut, tblOutbound.AmountRecorded FROM tblItem INNER JOIN (tblClient INNER JOIN tblOutbound ON tblClient.ClientID = tblOutbound.ClientID) ON tblItem.ItemID = tblOutbound.ItemID WHERE (((tblOutbound.InvoiceNo) = '" & [Forms]![frmPoS]![InvoiceNo]) & "'"
Do While Not rs.EOF
            rs.Edit
            rs!ClientID = Me!Client
            rs!QtyAvail = rs!QtyAvail - rs!QtyOut
            rs!UnitSale = rs!ExtendedPrice
            rs!ClientAcc = rs!ClientAcc + rs!AmountRecorded
            rs.Update
            rs.MoveNext
Loop
            rs.Close
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please where am I making the errors?

Last edited by a moderator:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 13:58
did the error message give you option to debug, do so and
it will highlight the line that has error.
post that line.

only hopeful wishing here.
if InvoiceNo is Numeric, you don't need to use delimiter on your sql query.

on your rs, try Casting then fields to Nz()

Do While Not rs.EOF
rs.Edit
rs!ClientID = Me!Client
rs!QtyAvail = Nz(rs!QtyAvail, 0) - Nz(rs!QtyOut, 0)
rs!UnitSale = Nz(rs!ExtendedPrice, 0)
rs!ClientAcc = Nz(rs!ClientAcc , 0) + Nz(rs!AmountRecorded, 0)
rs.Update
rs.MoveNext
Loop
rs.Close

Moore71

DEVELOPER
Local time
I think
did the error message give you option to debug, do so and
it will highlight the line that has error.
post that line.

only hopeful wishing here.
if InvoiceNo is Numeric, you don't need to use delimiter on your sql query.

on your rs, try Casting then fields to Nz()

Do While Not rs.EOF
rs.Edit
rs!ClientID = Me!Client
rs!QtyAvail = Nz(rs!QtyAvail, 0) - Nz(rs!QtyOut, 0)
rs!UnitSale = Nz(rs!ExtendedPrice, 0)
rs!ClientAcc = Nz(rs!ClientAcc , 0) + Nz(rs!AmountRecorded, 0)
rs.Update
rs.MoveNext
Loop
rs.Close
I thin the error is posting is in OpenRecordset
I don't know maybe improper variable declaration or something like that , I guess
Please check through and give me the right way (syntax) to present the code
Thanks

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I don't see a declaration for a recordset object, something like this:-

Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I think

I thin the error is posting is in OpenRecordset
I don't know maybe improper variable declaration or something like that , I guess
Please check through and give me the right way (syntax) to present the code
Thanks
So do as arnelgp suggests and remove the single quotes from form invoiceno?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("qryInvoices")

this way you can make sure that qryInvoices works correctly.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:58
Hi. @Moore71. I agree with @Uncle Gizmo. Please show us your entire code. I am also guessing you may have declared the rs object as:
Code:
Dim rs As Recordset
instead of:
Code:
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:58
I prefer querydefs myself since it makes the query easy to test outside of the code. BUT, if you use embedded SQL, ALWAYS save is as a variable so you can paste it to the immediate window to look at it after it is constructed and then copy it into the QBE and run it.

Dim strSQL as String

strSQL = "SELECT tblItem.QtyAvail, tblItem.UnitSale, tblClient.ClientAcc, tblOutbound.ClientID, tblOutbound.QtyOut, tblOutbound.AmountRecorded " FROM tblItem INNER JOIN (tblClient INNER JOIN tblOutbound ON tblClient.ClientID = tblOutbound.ClientID) ON tblItem.ItemID = tblOutbound.ItemID WHERE (((tblOutbound.InvoiceNo) = '" & [Forms]![frmPoS]![InvoiceNo]) & "'"

Moore71

DEVELOPER
Local time
This is the whole code used
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dim dbs As DAO.Database
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

Set dbs = CurrentDb
Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT tblItem.QtyAvail, tblItem.UnitSale, tblClient.ClientAcc, tblOutbound.ClientID, tblOutbound.QtyOut, tblOutbound.AmountRecorded FROM tblItem INNER JOIN (tblClient INNER JOIN tblOutbound ON tblClient.ClientID = tblOutbound.ClientID) ON tblItem.ItemID = tblOutbound.ItemID WHERE (((tblOutbound.InvoiceNo) = '" & [Forms]![frmPoS]![InvoiceNo]) & "'"
Do While Not rs.EOF
rs.Edit
rs!ClientID = Me!Client
rs.Update
rs.MoveNext
Loop
rs.Close
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moore71

DEVELOPER
Local time
This is the whole code used
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dim dbs As DAO.Database
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

Set dbs = CurrentDb
Do While Not rs.EOF
rs.Edit
rs!ClientID = Me!Client
rs.Update
rs.MoveNext
Loop
rs.Close
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So what did I left out please?

Moore71

DEVELOPER
Local time
I prefer querydefs myself since it makes the query easy to test outside of the code. BUT, if you use embedded SQL, ALWAYS save is as a variable so you can paste it to the immediate window to look at it after it is constructed and then copy it into the QBE and run it.

Dim strSQL as String

strSQL = "SELECT tblItem.QtyAvail, tblItem.UnitSale, tblClient.ClientAcc, tblOutbound.ClientID, tblOutbound.QtyOut, tblOutbound.AmountRecorded " FROM tblItem INNER JOIN (tblClient INNER JOIN tblOutbound ON tblClient.ClientID = tblOutbound.ClientID) ON tblItem.ItemID = tblOutbound.ItemID WHERE (((tblOutbound.InvoiceNo) = '" & [Forms]![frmPoS]![InvoiceNo]) & "'"
This was what I used before. But the problem here is there are 2 users, and when they run the same process from different PCs, one sometimes freeze especially when the same product is selected at both end

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
But the problem here is there are 2 users, and when they run the same process from different PCs,

Do you have the correct setup?

You need EACH user to have their OWN front end dB and a shared back end dB. .

I suspect your users are sharing the same dB.

Please confirm....

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 22:58

Dim strSQL as String

I completely agree, but just throwing in there that sometimes even if a person doesn't do that, you can still just copy everything inside the literal quotes and paste to immediate, then ask the immediate window the same question regardless.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
you still haven't commented on Arnel's suggestion in post #2 followed up by Gasman in post #5. It is the most likely reason for your problem and needs to be ruled out. The quotes are still there in your post #9

Moore71

DEVELOPER
Local time
YYe
Do you have the correct setup?

You need EACH user to have their OWN front end dB and a shared back end dB. .

I suspect your users are sharing the same dB.

Please confirm....
Yes it's a shared front end while the back end is split (and the 2 users connect to the same back end)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Yes it's a shared front end

Then you need to change your setup. Each user should have their own front-end, and not be sharing the same front end.

All you do is make a copy of the front end and give each user their own copy.

Moore71

DEVELOPER
Local time
Yes shared the front end by making individual copy
That's what I did

Moore71

DEVELOPER
Local time
Then you need to change your setup. Each user should have their own front-end, and not be sharing the same front end.

All you do is make a copy of the front end and give each user their own copy.
That's exactly what I did here, but when the 2 users updates the same item(s) at the same time, the program freezes
So I am looking for a walk around this issue, I don't know if there's a process to keep one user waiting when the other user is already engage with the process or maybe recordset will resolve this issue
Please give me more idea here

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom