UBI (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 02:52
this story is interesting, but what's more interesting is notice that they never judge the "success" of the program by those from whom money was Taken , feel about it. Only those to whom it was given. Well duh, that's always automatically going to rate as Success. Duh

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 04:52
so what do you think Isaac? Is UBI coming for us all as AI gets smarter and takes away more jobs?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
so what do you think Isaac? Is UBI coming for us all as AI gets smarter and takes away more jobs?
Artificial intelligence might be the only thing that actually does justify UBI far far far in the future.

For now it's just people wanting to rob money from those who are working and paying taxes and give it to other people. Simple redistribution to try to force people who have made poor choices to be successful anyway

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Considering that I'm on a fixed income these days, increasing my taxes to pay for someone else's lack of self-improvement motivation is not a winning strategy. UBI would have that effect. So... it isn't really a vote at the moment, but if it ever comes to a vote, I'm against it.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I had a discussion/debate with a son-in-law about this very topic a while back. His position was that with all the automation by Amazon and other big companies there wouldn't be enough jobs and we needed a UBI. His suggestion was $1,000/month for every man/woman/child in the country.

I did some math that he hadn't bothered to do, and pointed out that even with a very conservative count of 200 million people (vs the 300+ actual population) that would amount to 2.5 TRILLION dollars a year. I asked where that would come from; he said taxing those very corporations. I countered with 2 points:

The corporate tax currently brings in roughly half a trillion per year. Did he really think we could raise that by 500%?

If so, who do you think actually pays corporate income taxes? Corporations are basically tax collectors, not tax payers. They can generally do 4 things when faced with a higher tax cost:

1. raise prices, which means their customers (us) pay the tab
  2. cut dividends if they pay them, which means stockholders (us) get less income
  3. cut costs, which would often mean lower salaries and/or fewer employees (vicious circle)
  4. eat the increase, which makes the company less profitable and the share price goes down for stockholders (us)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:52
it isn't really a vote at the moment, but if it ever comes to a vote, I'm against it.
We are approaching the tipping point and with Democrats registering illegal aliens to vote in NYC, it won't be long before the leeches outnumber the earners. They are already at 47%.

I don't see anything in the Constitution about it being a suicide pact for the producers of the country. There isn't a single article that mentions "charity" or "investment". Doesn't even mention "free" education. It mentions a Post Office though and a standing army and three branches of government, two of which were intended to be part time.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Artificial intelligence might be the only thing that actually does justify UBI far far far in the future.
how far in the future? Paul's idea of 1,000 a month wouldn't cover everything I've got to pay for. wouldn't even be close. right now I get way more than that in SS anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom