Virtual Reality Headsets - worth the money? (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:09
OMG yes. To be honest, I was apprehensive about getting it because I didn't use the Go much and found the screen to be a bit rubbish. And the software was very limited. It is not often that I am pleasantly surprised when I get a new bit of tech, but I was in this case. I am pretty sure I will be using it frequently. And no, it is not a rush of blood to the head! Just a 5 minute go with Punch Fit was amazing. Heart rate was up, the immersion was incredible. My only fear is punching the cat if it gets too close!

Having problems trying to purchase Eleven Table Tennis, so on to bank to sort it out. Perhaps they have some kind of block on Meta purchases.

I've got a bunch of fitness apps which I will be getting, including: Eleven Table Tennis, Punch Fit, Les Mills Bodycombat, Beat Sabre, Thrill of the Fight. Then I will explore what else to get.

Edit: Not pleasantly surprise, but amazed!

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:09
My only fear is punching the cat if it gets too close!
Funny you should mention that.

I have a 60 pound yellow Lab. I was going to hit a drive and didn't know she was next to me. I hit her so hard in the head I knocked her off her feet. I felt so bad. It's apparently a common thing as dogs only see you jumping around having fun and they want to join in.

There is a setting, it's called space sense. If someone or something walks into your guardian it shows an outline of them. Comes in real handy with animals and little kids.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
That sounds like a good feature. It is easy to get lost in the virtual world, as I have just found. Been playing Eleven Table Tennis for the last half hour. It is very realistic. I should know because I used to go to a local club and play a lot. Unfortunately, I whacked the controller against the nearby filing cabinet! It is ok, but I am learning that VR in confined spaces does have its hazards! I've been drilling my shots using the built in pong robot, which is highly configurable. Its brilliant!

I have to give a big thumbs up to you moke for inspiring me to get back into VR. It was always on my radar but I never progressed it. I used to pop onto YouTube periodically to see what the latest gear was like and now I am glad I have taken the plunge.

What I am finding frustrating is that my battery is now flat so have to wait some time for it to recharge.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
You can also buy a cheap battery pack and a usb cord. Stick the battery in your pocket and plug in.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I will have to do a bit of research on headbands before I make a purchase. Do they make much of a difference regarding comfort?

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Probably not but I have only the quest versions. The attached battery is key. Doubles playtime and offsets the weight of the headset.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
What I mean is do they improve the comfort much compared to not having the posh headbands?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
By the way, Punch Fit is really good and its free. Amazing!

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
What I mean is do they improve the comfort much compared to not having the posh headbands?
Big time. A must have. A crown of thorns would be better than the strap it comes with.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Which strap and battery combo did you go for?

I feel like my life has changed in a significant way! It might sound overhype, but this thing really does transport you into different worlds. That Oculus Go was rubbish! It gives you a small inclination of what might be possible, but the resolution, speed, software and functionality was crap. I knew the Quest 3 was supposed to be a big step up, but what I have now found out is that effective, entertaining virtual reality is finally here!

Yesterday, I burned 400-500 calories (estimated) from using the device. Typically, my Fitbit says I burn 2,500 calories per day on an inactive day, yet I hit 3,000. My intention is to set up some kind of routine where I rotate through different fitness apps so I keep lots of variety and hit different body parts. Just playing Punch Fit and seeing those pads held by hover jets looked amazing! Total immersion unlike anything I have tried before. I am a convert!

Last edited:

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
The strap from Meta, The Elite Strap with Battery.

Also the Yezro Attachment

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Wow, that golf club attachment looks flash (and pricey!). I am wondering if there is one for the ping pong. I was amazed at how realistic it felt when hitting the table tennis ball, with the haptic feedback making it feeling just like the real thing.

Did you find that golf club attachment a big step up from just using the controllers? I presume you got that recently, because it says for the Quest 3.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just an update on my VR experiences.

Yesterday, I burned 586 calories while using my VR headset. I did 3 rounds of boxing, some Beat Saber and lots of ping pong! The table tennis is sooooo realistic. I used to go to a local club and the physics of the VR version are spot on. Benefits of the VR version of the real version? Don't have to keep running to get the ball; built in robot that lets you drill various shots; don't have to travel to the club; play anyone instantly any time of the day from countries all over the world; no membership fees; AI opponents if desired; can customise arenas, tables, bats; tracks your calorie burn.

For example, it was 11:45pm yesterday evening (Saturday) when I fancied a quick game of ping pong. I was playing for about 25 minutes and then my battery died. I would never be doing this kind of exercise that late on a Saturday normally, but it was so engrossing. And I was playing in such a small space too. In my office area!

At this rate, I will be losing a hell of a lot of weight. I hate doing cardio, but this makes it fun. A game changer.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Jon,
What actually comes with the headset?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
You get the headset, two controllers and charger. It's all you need. The rest is software. I intend on getting one of the posh head straps for £50 to £100, which comes with an extra battery and gives more comfort.

Apart from it all being jolly good fun, if you want to get fit it is an excellent choice. I've been reading about some people getting addicted to things like Beat Saber (and I can see why), where they are playing 4 hours per day and burning 1,000 calories. This year, I have struggled to lose weight. I've lost about 7lbs over nearly one year. A bit rubbish to be honest, although better than nothing. However, if I keep playing this VR headset stuff like I have been, I will lose more than twice that in a few months, maybe 3 months. Only time will tell.

Never before have I burned so many calories in such an effortless way, perceptually speaking.

Are you thinking of getting one, and if so, for what purpose? Have you ever tried a VR headset before?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
It would be for the weight loss/excercise as I have bad legs.
However is each game/activity is around the price of the software for the likes of the playstation/xbox etc, then I would give it a miss.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I get it because that is one reason why I haven't got a current Playstation. Not sure what they cost, the games, but is it like £30 or $40? Pricey!

Let me explain my view on why I think VR stuff is different.

- My table tennis subscription at my local club is £25 per year, every year. That was for one night per week. Eleven Table Tennis costs £23 and I can play it any time of day 7 days per week for years. Also, it has a robot to help you drill certain shots, something I never got at the local club. And a reasonable table tennis bat would cost you £50+ too. Not required in VR.
- How much is your health worth? You have to take care of your body because you have nowhere else to live! Losing weight is hard. My prediction so far is losing weight will be easy with this VR stuff. Time will tell and I will document my weight loss on the forum.
- Thrill of the Fight, a VR boxing game, costs £8. I did my first 3 rounds yesterday and I was breathing heavily.
- How much would you pay to enjoy losing weight, getting fit? Cardio is very boring for me. In VR, its fun.
- My gym membership used to cost me over £600 per year. But that wasn't the only cost. It cost me 20 minutes in total for the round trip of getting there and back. Then the petrol money. Lastly, the wear and tear on the car.

I think many Playstation games have a finite life to them. You play them for a while, then they are finished, or you get a bit bored. But I have always loved table tennis. Moke has been playing his golf game for years too.

Just my take on it, but your mileage may differ. For me personally, it has been my best purchase in years.

Now I'm off for a bit of ping pong!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Those prices seem reasonable.
Thank you.

Golf will not be one I will be getting though. :)
I was never too good with table tennis, so perhaps the practice would be good.

Any good links to the software available please?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
You're welcome. You can always sell the device if you don't like it, so the risk of a bad purchase is reduced.

The Meta website is the place to go: https://www.meta.com/en-gb/experiences/

I would recommend: Beat Saber, Eleven Table Tennis and Thrill of the Fight. That lot will cost you £50 ish. All three would give you a workout. And you could play all three for years.

I personally have little interest in the games right now. For me, it is about fitness + fun.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
play anyone instantly any time of the day from countries all over the world;
Have you played multiplayer yet? I find it fascinating playing a round of virtual golf with players from around the world. I've met a lot of great people. It's like going to a course as a single and getting paired up. It takes @ 45 minutes to play 18 and everyone already has a common interest so conversation comes easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom