Virtual Reality Headsets - worth the money? (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:36
Join the club Uncle. So far it is moke and me, with Gasman on the edge. :D

What would your purpose being in having one? And why are you getting interested?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
The thought of effortless weight control is attractive!

• Haha
Reactions: Jon

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
, 20:36
The Six flags amusement park near me had a roller coaster which you wore a VR headset while riding. I think you had a choice of several scenarios so you could ride the ride more than once and have a different experience each time. Never got a chance to go try it but would have liked to.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Lots of people are using it for weight control. You can still burn the calories just standing still in many of the apps. With your arms flailing, the calorie count goes up. I'm still aching from all the madness over the last 3 days.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just had a great idea. I could create a virtual world where members of AWF could go. We could have a politics area, with bunkers, mines and so forth. Then a Watercooler hangout. Throw in a few knuckle dusters, guns, grenades and we could take it out on each other. :LOL:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I used to do an hours walk every day on my local forest, that was until they started charging £100 per year to park there. So I stopped. I previously used to walk on the golf course, but the golfers didn't like me! There is also the stress of constantly having to look out for golf balls flying at you, but then again that applies if you play golf anyway.

The weather in the UK is, lets face it, miserable. Drizzly days, cold, windy. Some countries like say Australia promote more physically activity because of the fair weather. They are a bit more outdoorsy. So, given all these obstacles for us poor Brits, immersing yourself in a virtual world seems like a good idea. Anything that gets you standing up and moving a bit more will burn a few calories.

Some of the apps are so good, you could get the device for just one of those alone. For example, many people get addicted to Beat Saber. It can be considered a light workout, yet you burn a reasonable number of calories and you don't notice the effort you are exerting.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
. I previously used to walk on the golf course, but the golfers didn't like me!

I'd pay to see you, on the public footpath which crosses the golf course, playing virtual golf on your headset...

• Haha
Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
we often refer to ours as a $500 golf simulator.
On looking at the reviews, the Golf simulator looks pretty damn good. Some of these apps have endless gameplay, just like real sports.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I'm trying to find an app that can track my calories, time spent in VR etc apart from the included Movement app. I would like to see that data on my Mac or PC. It seems you can view it on your mobile or in the headset itself, but that's it. There used to be some app called Yur that tracked some data, but not sure if that does what I would like or not. I'd love to see all sorts of charts and graphs that I could view on my laptop. Then I can see the progress.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
When the tech gets better, more and more of us will spent increasing amounts of time inside VR. In a few years, we will all become plugged into the Matrix and our lives will be controlled by AI overlords.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Those FitXR workouts are hard work, and I was on beginners! Just did 2 x 10 minute sessions. I chose a boxing one and nearly punched myself in the face. I was doing uppercuts! Got a sweat on. The FitXR program is subscription based and costs something like £8 per month I think. Currently, I'm on the free trial. But they are super effective in getting you motivated, at least at this stage. Who knows over time.

You can choose between boxing, combat, zumba, dance, sculpt, and HIIT. Each of these "studios" have lots of choice on different workout routines, and a few different trainers.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I am thanks. But I am also frustrated. My battery is flat again. I should have charged it up again earlier. I've only burned about 240 calories today so far so need to get some ping pong in.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I am thanks. But I am also frustrated. My battery is flat again. I should have charged it up again earlier. I've only burned about 240 calories today so far so need to get some ping pong in.
battery.JPG

A short usb cord and slip it in your pocket.

My quest always goes right from my head to the charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom