Virtual Reality Headsets - worth the money? (2 Viewers)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:24
The guys who developed my golf game really hit on a solid business model which I think will keep people playing for a long time.
I think the golf game is analogous to the ping pong game. Some things are more like sports, and although they overlap into games, there is the competitive element. Same with chess. They all have longevity. This contrasts with say the zombie game where you just keep doing the same things until you have managed to complete whatever levels there are. Then it's done.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Sidequest...any thoughts?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:24
Another lemming goes over the edge:

1703632197987.png

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Nice one Paul! Any opinions yet?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Nice one Paul! Any opinions yet?

Not really, I'm trying to combine the setup with getting enough work done not to get fired. :p

That first mixed-reality view during setup of my laptop and monitors combined with the setup was a bit of a jolt though!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The image quality of the mixed reality surprised me. The quality of the room itself is not so good, but the stuff imposed into it looks nice and crisp and clear.

Do you have your eye on any apps yet?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No, I'm going to try the one they bundled with it later to get my feet wet. I'll likely get Golf+ as @moke123 somehow without my knowledge or consent seems to have triggered an Amazon order for the golf club attachment that will arrive in a few days. :p

You've got me interested in the table tennis and fitness apps, so one or more of those is in my future.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 21:24
I had a feeling that was coming. Didn't think waiting till after Christmas meant the next day however.

I think we have about a 3 hour time difference so a weekend outing is doable. Bring your own beer. If you want to stay close to home I'll meet you at Wolf's Creek in Nevada. Ever Play There? It's one of my favorite courses. 13 is a bitch.

somehow without my knowledge or consent . . .
Maybe you should change your password from Password to something else. 👀

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I would also get Beat Saber. It must be one of the most popular apps for the Quest. It is not a fitness app per se, but it does burn up the calories without you noticing. I've burnt more calories on that app than anything else.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The more people who get one and post positive feedback here, the more the others will fall like a house of cards. Then again, negative feedback could burst the virtuous circle.

I think regarding the exercise aspect, you have to build in a routine like any exercise regime. The difference is that in VR it is way less boring and therefore reduces the barrier to entry of getting it done. And some things, like Ping Pong and Beat Saber give exercise as a side benefit, rather than it being the main goal.

Regarding doing exercise with some big bulky thing on your head, obviously it is better without it. But it is not as bad a hinderance as I feared. Or in other words, it works. The balance between head bulk and immersive motivation makes the equation a win for VR.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
There used to be weighted bracelets you wear on your wrists and ankles to improve your general fitness level just by the extra mass you have to move while doing every day tasks.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There used to be weighted bracelets you wear on your wrists and ankles to improve your general fitness level just by the extra mass you have to move while doing every day tasks.
Some people advocate these when doing some of the VR exercises, but others say it is too hard on your joints. I suppose it depends on what the exercise is.

What exercise were you hoping to use it for @Uncle Gizmo?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
What exercise were you hoping to use it for

"Code Runner"

I asked ChatGPT:-

A vr exercise for a programmer?

ChatGPT said:-
Imagine a VR exercise game designed for programmers: "Code Runner." In this game, you physically run through a virtual world collecting code snippets to solve programming challenges. Each challenge completed boosts your speed or unlocks special abilities, like a 'debug dash' or 'refactor roll'. The twist? The scenery and obstacles are themed around classic programming bugs and glitches, adding a humorous touch to your workout.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I also asked CharGPT the following:-

Can you think of a comical vr exercise

ChatGPT
How about a VR game where you're a superhero trying to save a city, but instead of fighting, you exercise to power up your abilities? Picture doing squats to charge your super jump or jogging on the spot to speed up your flying. The funnier part? The more you exercise, the more outlandish your costume gets, turning you into a spandex-clad, cape-wearing fitness icon!

And here's UG powering up! 708b8106-b95f-43e0-883a-c1ed126eb2ad.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom