Vonage

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 15:05
I know we used to have a thread about this but it has been lost now. :rolleyes:

I seem to remember a forum member or two saying that they had made the switch over to Vonage phone service. I was just wondering if anyone could provide any insights as to how the service works or how well they like it. I was wondering if it would be worth checking into.

I have been using it for over a year now and I absolutely love it. Granted you have to be aware that quality is dependent on your ISP's infrastructure but most broad band ISP's can support 90Kb upstream without a problem. At 90Kb, the sound quality (at least for me) is so good that if there is a pause in the conversation I have to ask if the person is still there.

I have family along the east coast (USA) and some in Texas so it's nice to only have to pay a flat fee of 25.00 a month for all calls.

Aside from the obvious drawbacks of the power going out and you have no phone, I'm pleanty pleased with it. I keep a land line jack with a phone attached to it for 911 calls and if power does go out, I have that phone for emergencies as well as my cell phone.

Hopefully they'll have the 911 issue addressed 100% sometime this year.

For clarification, Vonage allows you to dial 911 but for some subscribers it goes to a local exchange who then calls your 911 service. Some subscribers are lucky enough to be able to directly call 911.

Thanks, Kodo. I think I may try it out, but I'm going to check into the 911 thing in my area first. I'm kind of sick of SBC and they are expensive to boot. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom