What new products or services would help? (1 Viewer)

dcarr

Trainee Database Analyst
Local time
Today, 01:35
Useful services

How about asection for students discussing projects and modules that they are currently undertaking. Many students like myself complete similar modules through the duration of your course. Sharing ideas on topics, etc, would be very useful. Although much of the information needed would be available in the various subject areas such as tables, queries, etc, it would be a useful add in if students could compare ideas and share thoughts on related topics?
PS Like may others I find this site extremley useful, and nearly all problems I have encountered have been solved by members of this forum! Keep up the good work guys! Thanks

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:35
I would definately support sample databases or if any of the pros wanted to share their databases, that would work well as well.

How about having a a monthly challenge project for someone out there to solve, with maybe a cool title under their name as a prize or some pocket change or something like that?

Maybe a tip of the Week/Month by the web admin or a submitted tip of the week/month (Picked/Voted on)?

How about VB/VBA (with step by step explanation) code of the Week/Month? (again by web admin or one that was submitted on this forum)

Maybe if someone doesn't have time to wait on an answer in a forum for a small part in a database, you could charge a small flat fee for fixing ONLY that small part, like code or form structure or table structure. How would we pay? I'd use Paypal (am an eBayer!!).

Am glad to hear that the forum will remain free, I'd be going no-where without the help of the good people who take time out of the busy day to help people like me out!!!!!!!!!:)

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
Create Run-Time Version

Would it be legal to have someone create a run-time version of a database they made? Maybe that could be a service. Say I have a database but don't have (and can't afford) Access Developer , maybe you could take my existing database and make a run-time version of it for a flat fee??

(Maybe even pay me for any brilliant ideas I come up with?);)

dynamictiger

Registered User.
Local time
This site is great, and has helped me a lot in many areas.

I use a few similar sites depending on the question, as some have areas not covered by this forum. However, there are some areas that aren't covered anywhere - that I have found.

Perhaps there is a need to offer training on a subscription basis in some of the other areas, related to, but not necessarily part of Access for example: ASP, Creating Help Files, Writing good documentation, User Interface design, ADP, Exchange Server and similar. I see these areas as some of the difficult transitional areas from amateur to professional type production.

russi

Registered User.
Local time
Jon,

This is a fantastic and extremely important site.

While I do not want to see membership fees, I do believe that others, like myself, would happily make periodic donations. So how about a donation button as someone else suggested?

Russ

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Local time
There is now an ASP forum. I hope you find it useful.

jatfill

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:35
ASP definitely has my vote, glad to see it has been implemented!!

I also like the idea of a code/samples forum, for frequently-sought code like email lists, etc.

What about a FAQ section in each forum for popular/redundant questions?

One last thing, this forum has been an invaluable source of information to me over the last year and if you can, set up a paypal donation/similar account. I would very much like the opportunity to contribute something periodically.

Neogame

Still learning....
Local time
How about a begineers forum, so they can talk to the experts or each other. You could have in the begineers forum sections with basic coding, design techniques and tips.:)

Freddy

Abort, Retry or Ignore?
Local time
Yesterday, 20:35
I've been visiting this site often and found many answers. I recently joined because I though I could contribute.

If it is not too labor intensive, a list of commonly asked questions with links to that discussion would be helpful - or perhaps a forum for known/common bugs or problems and their workarounds.

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
I know this is a sore point with some members but here's a site that allows you to

- Open a FREE account.
- Choose from over 50 products. (T-Shirts, mugs, caps,...)
- Upload your artwork (forum logo), music or content and design your products.
- Set your retail price over the CafePress.com base price.
- Promote your CafePress.com shop.
- Manufactures your products as they are ordered.
- Ships your products worldwide.
- Manages all payment processing (credit cards, checks.)
- Provides all customer service (online and phone).

Just wanted to post this in case anyone was interested.

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/sell/index.aspx

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Did you have something in mind? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• mug.jpg
    mug.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 119

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
All kidding aside for a moment, it would be a way for the forums to generate revenue to help keep the site going.

Last edited:

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
One of the best things I've seen was an April Fool joke set in an internet community whereby the conspirators went so far as to register a domain, host it, program a whole system, make games with that system, populate a user forum for the system, and even offer a store using Cafepress.

Here it is - click on Store to see the Cafepress products. :cool:

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
Mile-O-Phile said:
Did you have something in mind? :rolleyes:
DATA CDs
They also have Data CD as merchandise. Would it be possible to upload the forums as a searchable database for sale as a data CD? Or sample databases, code, add-ins?
Side note: They also have the ability to sell Music CDs, any budding musicians who have songs about MS ACCESS?? :p

BOOKS
You can sell books as well. Maybe an idea for Pat Hartman! (or anyone else willing to write a book or tutorial?)
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8864&highlight=Book+Pat
I am sure Pat Hartman could go for a big time distributer if she wanted to!

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Okay, here's a prototype:

Attachments

• tie.jpg
    tie.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 108

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom