What's your best/worst joke? (1 Viewer)

murphybridget

Local time
Today, 23:36
Matter of opinion. Some of the Hee Haw jokes were actually quite funny, given that it was a show suitable for children (most of the time) and they had really cute actresses for some of the sketch comedy. Therefore, they snuck in more than a couple of "naughty" little double entendres. But the REAL benefit of Hee Haw was that usually once per show or sometimes every other show, Roy Clark would play his guitar. You didn't have to like country music because they did other things. There is a You Tube video you could look up in which Roy Clark plays that classical flamenco song "Malaguena" in a spectacular demonstration of complex fingering. They would also have guest artists whose abilities would blow you away if you understood music performance issues for that instrument. For instance, Glen Campbell was known as a singer, but he was a virtuoso guitarist too.
Roy Clark's guitar skills were incredible, and his rendition of "Malaguena" is a must-watch.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:36
There is a (possibly apocryphal) story about someone asking a famous rock guitarist how it felt to be the best guitarist in the world. He answered, "I don't know. Ask Roy Clark."

However, many years ago, a duo called "Los Indios Tabajares" rose to prominence. They were brothers from an indigent indigenous family in Brazil. They found a discarded guitar and learned to play it. The eventually attended the Julliard School of Music for guitar; one for lead and one for accompaniment. You can find some videos online if you look up their name. I can't find it at the moment, but there was a video when they were on the Johnny Carson Tonight Show in which they played "Flight of the Bumblebee" and it was a blown-away moment.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:36
Image20240617205305.jpg

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:36
I can play that on the trumpet at reasonable speed.

Though I can play a trumpet, I never fully developed proper embrochure and tongue technique. I switched to keyboards (organ) after only a couple of years of trumpet lessons and to be honest, never looked back.

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 16:36
David Attenborough was showing off Gordon a gorilla he captured in the Congo.
“When I caught Gordon in ‘98, he was completely wild,” said the biologist.
Then Gordon interrupts and exclaimed : “Wild? I was absolutely livid and after all these years, often incandescent, between bouts of melancholy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom