Wrong SUM in Group Footer (1 Viewer)

proballin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:00
I have a report that contains a text box in the 'Detail' section that has a running sum over the group. In the group footer section I have another text box that is suppose to display the final sum of that running sum. However the total continues to be off. In the 'Detail' section when it reaches the end for each group, the sum is correct, but when I try to display that sum in the group footer by just assigning it to another text box the total is off. The amount that it is off by is kinda random too. Any suggestions?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 06:00
Can you post a screenshot of what you have in design view and also what you are seeing when you run the report?

proballin

Registered User.
Local time
It's kinda confusing what I have in the design view but here is a quick glimpse of the report area I am referring to. The area points to the group footer of the incorrect sum. However I have circled in red the running sum. All I did was assign that running sum to another text box in the group footer.

I don't understand how if I simply set the control source in the group footer to be called what the running sum is in the Details section, how I can get a different number. (it should be 57 but says 55).

Last edited:

proballin

Registered User.
Local time
Just to test out that my forumla was correct I put in a text box to show a count by entering '=1' in the control source and summing over the group. Even the count of the group is incorrect in the footer when compared to the details section.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 06:00
I can't see your screenshot as you posted to a location which is blocked by my work. Try attaching the photo instead so that I can take a look.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:00
Just put =Sum([YourField]) in the group footer

proballin

Registered User.
Local time
Rich,

I tried that out but here is the deal...

In the group footer I use the textbox name from the details section. In my case the textbox with the right running sum was called 'Month1Sum'...therefore in the group footer I set the control source to '=[Month1Sum]'. However when I put '=Sum[Month1Sum]' and run the report, I get an input box that says 'Month1Sum' letting me know if doesnt recogonize it.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
That's not what Rich said, he said =Sum(yourfield) not =Sum(your running sum control), enter the original field.

Brian

proballin

Registered User.
Local time
I cannot put in my original field because it is an equation with aggregate operations in it.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Try repeating the calculation, i.e.
=Sum([Amount]*[Quantity]

proballin

Registered User.
Local time
That does not work unfortunately. Access just crash with the message "
Microsoft Office Access has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom