Apache MySQL, PHP (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 09:36
I am very desirous of learning SQL. I have bought books and read on line tutorials. I have download Apache Friends. I can't get it to run the simple note pad file called test.php. There has to be some setting that I am missing. That said, does anybody know a service company that I could pay to use team viewer or some such program to see if they can find the problem?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Until I can find somebody to look at my machine, I want to try stuff on my own.
This is the instruction the tutorial is giving me:
Step 5: We will now test whether XAMPP has installed PHP successfully. To do this, fire up Notepad and type the following into a new document:
Code:
<?php
   echo ‘Hello world’;
?>
Save this file as ‘test.php’ in c:\xampp\htdocs\ (or whichever directory you installed XAMPP in).

Step 6: Navigate to localhost/test.php. You should see the “Hello World” message:
This is the error message I am getting:

Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 404
localhost
Apache/2.4.18 (Win32) OpenSSL/1.0.2e PHP/7.0.4

My main question right now is that I am interpreting STEP 6 “Navigate to localhost/test.php.” that to mean is just type “localhost/test.php.” into my URL line, and hit enter.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
One giant step for me, One P hole step in the snow in programming. Found the problem myself. Even tho I was saving my note pad file as a PHP it was saving it as a text file.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 08:36
I am very desirous of learning SQL...I have download Apache Friends...

Ugh, that's like wanting a blue bathroom with a new mirror, so you start learning carpentry and plumbing and build a whole house. You're going through a lot of headache to just to get to the starting line of where you want to be at. Installing and admining LAMP is no fun.

There's lots of sites out there with free PHP/MySQL hosting you can sign up for and be writing code for within minutes. There's even more low-cost ones that will get you that and a real domain name as well.

Even that is over-kill for just learning SQL. There are tons of interpreters online (http://www.sqlcourse.com/cgi-bin/interpreter.cgi) that you can use and simply just write SQL without having to go through writing PHP to get there.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Ugh, that's like wanting a blue bathroom with a new mirror, so you start learning carpentry and plumbing and build a whole house. You're going through a lot of headache to just to get to the starting line of where you want to be at. Installing and admining LAMP is no fun.

There's lots of sites out there with free PHP/MySQL hosting you can sign up for and be writing code for within minutes. There's even more low-cost ones that will get you that and a real domain name as well.

Even that is over-kill for just learning SQL. There are tons of interpreters online (http://www.sqlcourse.com/cgi-bin/interpreter.cgi) that you can use and simply just write SQL without having to go through writing PHP to get there.
sounds interesting. I definitely will look into it.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time

Your link is a big help. I haven't found the answer yet to a question that has been haunting me for some time. I see how to insert a record, and change a record, but certainly there must be a way to insert all the records from an existing db at one time.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I finally got my Apache server working. My course says to go to /aplications/xampp/bin/./mysql -u root which will bring up the dialog box with the Oracle copyright statement and the Mysql prompt. I cannot find any such folder (bin) under the xampp folder.
However if I open the xampp control panel and click shell it will bring up the dialog box and if I type in mysql -u root it will give me the Oracle copyright statement, but the prompt is not mysql. It is Mariadb. Can anybody tell me what is happening and/or what I am doing wrong?

Ps Is dialog box the right terminology for the black screen where the prompt show up?

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
First things first, can you get the server to return html?

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Instead of the php file, create index.html. Place it where the folder, and try to navigate to your website.

Code:
<html>
<body>
test
</body>
</html>

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:36
However if I open the xampp control panel and click shell it will bring up the dialog box and if I type in mysql -u root it will give me the Oracle copyright statement, but the prompt is not mysql. It is Mariadb. Can anybody tell me what is happening and/or what I am doing wrong?
Looks like the later versions of XAMPP install Mariadb instead on mySQL. See here.

Also see here about MariaDB and compatibility with MySQL etc.

Did your course say specifically to use XAMPP or maybe your course literature is slightly out of date? You could download version 5.6.12 if you want MySQL or use another installer such as WAMP.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Oh, I missed where you said you got the initial problem fixed. Sorry. I use WAMP, too.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I just wet my pants:D I just made my first db on mariadb Apache server:)

ps. what is the correct terminology for the black screen that I type my commands on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom