Variation on Equipment Reservation (1 Viewer)

n7hmw

Local time
Today, 01:16
I am not a database programmer, but do the best I can.

I want to build a database which allows for the reservation of computer equipment, but with a difference.

I keep a number of laptops and tablets on hand that are checked out for researchers/data gatherers to use at remote locations. Project managers simply ask for a certain number of each type of device to be reserved for particular periods of time, which could be anything from a day to several weeks.

I would like a database that could make this kind of reservation, with the ability to show the quantity of devices available on any given date. Tracking of individual devices is not necessary. Only quantities of device types are important.

I haven't a clue how to design this. Typically I use a spreadsheet to track assets, but this is a bit different. Where should I start?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:16
I've done something similar for IT equipment in a school though in that case it was based on lesson or day slots for each item. See attached screenshots

Although not exactly the same, you need to create 2 tables: tblBookableEquipment & tblEquipmentBookings

The first table contains details of what items are available for booking including the total number of each

The second table records the details of each booking - item / quantity / booked by / location(?) / start date & time / end date & time

Create suitable form(s) to use each of these

Create a query calculating how many of each item are still available (total number - number booked) for a selected date range (the dates requested on the booking form).
Only allow the booking if sufficient items are still available.
Better still show on the form the number available for the selected date range.

Attachments

• EditBookableEquipment.gif
    EditBookableEquipment.gif
    36.6 KB · Views: 167
  • EquipmentBookings.gif
    EquipmentBookings.gif
    38.8 KB · Views: 146
  • BookEquipment.gif
    BookEquipment.gif
    32.9 KB · Views: 159

n7hmw

Local time
Today, 01:16
Colin,

My needs appear to be slightly different. I am not wanting to book a "set" of a device type. I have several devices, but the number that can be booked is not fixed. Were that case, a set of devices could be treated as a single inventory item.

In my situation, I need to handle variable quantities. One person might need only 1 device of a given type, while another might need 10. I don't want the user to have to select individual items to reserve. They select a type and quantity along with the date range for the reservation.

The database doesn't need to know anything about the actual inventory items other than quantities available for each item type.

This database would only be for planning. Actual check out of devices will not be a part of it.

Thanks,

John

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:16
The number of items required is not a problem.
You would modify the booking form to include a textbox or combo box for the quantity

Then follow the previous instructions

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom