Question Access 2007 runtoime will not run 2003 MDE. Why? (1 Viewer)

HiTechCoach

Local time
Yesterday, 21:20
I have seen posts where people say that you can use Access 2007 to run MDE's created with previous versions of Access. Unfortunately, that has not been my experience. It only seems to work with MDB's only.

Here is what I found using Access 2007 SP2. Testing with both the full and runtime versions on different machines:

* Can open the MDB and everything runs fine.

* Take the same working MDB and create an MDE with Access 2003 SP3 on development machine. Deploy to the Access 2007 machines. Get library errors. Can't find Trim(), etc. I have this issue with all of my databases.

It appears that the MDB, since not locked, will have the libraries converted to the Access 2007, but the MDE will not.

I do have the DAO 3.6 library reference set in all my databases (MDE's). Could this be the issue?

I have been working on this for a while now. I have to install the 2003 runtime to get around this.

Is there some way to use an 2003 created MDE with Access 2007? What am I missing here?

Any suggestions?

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:20
Curious.

An idea. With your mdb that turns into a 'broken' mde, add a code at the startup that would do checks and print out errors including missing references. See if those output help illuminate the root cause.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:20
Curious to me as well. Most of my older apps are 2000 MDE's, and most have the DAO reference checked. They run fine on machines with 2007 (full or runtime).

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:20
out of interest - i have a large 2003 mde.

a client wanted to use this in A2007, but it reported an error with a particluar form in the MDE that prevented it loading (reported an error in a function statement). tHe mdb built into an A2007 mde with no issues, and this runs fine - so there must be a few issues with older mdes.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Yesterday, 21:20
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try adding code to display the references. I will compare the MDE run with 2003 and the MDB and MDE with 2007 to see if the references change.

I will let you know what I find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom