Newbie question...data entry form, multi-table (1 Viewer)

PeterZ7

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:44
Hi to everyone. I've attached a Word Doc with a question I have. Not a developer by any means (I manage a pharmacy) and have zero tech support. I am trying to create a data entry form that connects to 4 linked tables that allows a user to quickly and painlessly record a function of their job and capture data I can use to report, and use as a tool to define training issues.
I think the Word Doc explains what it is I've been wracking my simple mind trying to accomplish but I've reached an impasse.
Would really appreciate anyone's suggestions or guidance of any kind in assisting me put this potentially useful tool into practice in my workplace.
Thanks for looking, and thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
Best,
Peter

Attachments

• Access Help Question1.doc
    51.5 KB · Views: 79

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 20:44
What's the impasse? You say you don't think you know what you are doing, but you've fooled me. You've not only given this thought, but you have done everything right so far--normalized tables and a well thought out form.

I think you just want reassurance--well here it is: You are 100% on the right track. My only nitpick would be to build a report first. Put some fake data into your tables and then make sure you can get out the data you want to get out in the way you want it. After that, then build the form. Often report building shines light on the tables/fields you've overlooked.

PeterZ7

Registered User.
Local time
THanks for getting back to me, but no, I'm stuck. I cannot seem to create a data entry form that allows for what I'm trying to do. I've tried using the form wizard to no avail. I'm attempting to create new records in tblErrorLog, using drop down menus for one field each from the tblEmployee and tblErrors , with the net result of writing records to the tblErrorLog.
Are there high level google search terms you can help me with that can point me in the right direction?
Appreciate your help. Thanks again!
peter

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 20:44
I would start with the microsoft page: https://support.office.com/en-ie/ar...f38-9772-7e7e21e80c6b?ui=en-US&rs=en-IE&ad=IE

Your form is going to be bound to tblErrorLog. Your drop downs control sources will be their respective fields from tblErrorLog (EmployeeId and ErrorId). Their row source will be a 2 field query based on their tables (tblEmployee and tblError). The first field in each query will be the ID field of each table and the second field will be text you want the drop down to show. The bound column of each drop down will be 1 (corresponding to the ID), the Column Count of each drop down will be 2. That should get the form working. If not, ask me something specific.

PeterZ7

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks! Of all the conflicting and confusing info I've forced on myself through searches, I think you've given me the direction I needed to more specifically figure this out. I appreciate your assistance very much. Will hope to get time to tackle this tmrw at work. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom