4 Wheels vs. 2

FoFa said:
Semi-Truck, 18 wheeler, like one of your large Lorries I think you use, but I think slightly larger over all.
Why is it called a semi (that's semeeeeeeee, by the way), is it only half a lorry?:confused:

"Semi" because you get a full-blown truck only when you add a Semi-tractor to a trailer. Without both, you have only half a truck. Colloquial usage.

Jeez, what a (lack of) sense of humor. The REAL comment in there was about termite farts as a source of methane. The joke was, of course, that to save the environment I was suggesting we change it by removing all of the rain forests that feed the termites. Some folks just don't catch my drive-by jokes, I guess.

No apologies, folks. It was getting too grim here.

Rich said:
Why is it called a semi (that's semeeeeeeee, by the way), is it only half a lorry?:confused:
It's sem-eye, actually:rolleyes: and Doc's right...it's colloquial in nature. They're also called 18-Wheelers, Rigs, Tractor-Trailers, Trucks, etc. Sorry I was unclear...what English description would you understand more?:D

...and Doc...I LMAO on the termite farts thing. My wife is bunny-hugger, so I had to share that opinion and enjoyed every moment:D

The_Doc_Man said:
Jeez, what a (lack of) sense of humor. The REAL comment in there was about termite farts as a source of methane. The joke was, of course, that to save the environment I was suggesting we change it by removing all of the rain forests that feed the termites. Some folks just don't catch my drive-by jokes, I guess.

Don't worry I nearly fell off my chair when i read the post, but have virtually given up posting on the 'cooler, see your last sentence above, + the constant anti American rant..

brian

The_Doc_Man said:

I got a good laugh out of it.;)

MrsGorilla said:
Perhaps. :rolleyes: But I was talking about here on the forum. ;)
Yes I've noticed one or two of them here myself, still one keeps one's thoughts to oneself on the subject.
There's plenty of other material to discuss for the time being;)

Rich said:
Yes I've noticed one or two of them here myself, still one keeps one's thoughts to oneself on the subject.
There's plenty of other material to discuss for the time being;)

Apparently there isn't, since we keep talking about the same things over and over. :D

MrsGorilla said:
Apparently there isn't, since we keep talking about the same things over and over. :D
The other subjects obviously aren't very intesting :eek:

Bodisathva said:
They're also called 18-Wheelers, Rigs, Tractor-Trailers, Trucks, etc. Sorry I was unclear...what English description would you understand more?:D
The correct one would be nice:rolleyes: they are actually called articulated lorries

Col

FoFa said:
He says to many bugs, rocks, etc to fly up and hit you. So I was wondering if I should put one on my Jackal. Unfortunatly (like Rich here) I get more opinion than experience in the answers, but thought I would ask.
Unfortunately, for riders in the UK who ride all year round, a windshield is almost a neccesity to offer weather protection.

If a motorcycle is ridden correctly, the side draught from lorries is minimal. Obviously, if one is riding a Harley Davidson tractor, then I agree, the 10 minutes taken to pass a lorry can be a white knuckle ride.

Col

ColinEssex said:
The correct one would be nice:rolleyes: they are actually called articulated lorries
I'll file that one away for future reference...but now I have a "define this" question: according to the dictionary:
lorry- Motor truck used for transport of goods. Note: Motor truck is an American term. British synonym for motor truck is Heavy Goods Vehicle. This British term means any vehicle exceeding 7.5 metric tons maximum laden weight.
--a large low horse-drawn wagon without sides
--a large truck designed to carry heavy loads; usually without sides
So what does "lorry" refer to in the statement "...runnin' 'round, mad as lorries...":confused:

Nice to see you back...good vacation/holiday?

Bodisathva said:
So what does "lorry" refer to in the statement "...runnin' 'round, mad as lorries...":confused:
I've never heard that statement. . . . . . is it American?

Nice to see you back...good vacation/holiday?
Fine thanks Bod, just busy doing odd jobs that build up at home. Plus a little run down to the South Coast on the bike of course.:D

So, hows things been over the last 6 days? . . . . . .all behaving yourselves?

Col

ColinEssex said:
I've never heard that statement. . . . . . is it American?
No...a line of dialogue from "Snatch". I always assumed it was an animal of some type:confused: :o
ColinEssex said:
So, hows things been over the last 6 days? . . . . . .all behaving yourselves?
SSDD:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom