A textbook definition of cowardice (2 Viewers)

R

Rich

Some of us here have been saying so for years here, much to the scorn and derision of other forum members. Could it be that the US has finally woken up too?

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:22
Don't know how much of it is "woken up" and how much of it is "fed up", honestly.

And the "scorn" and "derision" only happen when you go on one of your Obsessive Compulsive tirades:D

R

Rich

Bodisathva said:
Obsessive Compulsive tirades:D
If campaigning for the truth, freedom and equality etc. are obsessive compulsive tirades then I make no apology for them:cool: :p

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Could it be that the US has finally woken up too?

Up yours again Rich,

The majority of Americans did NOT vote for that lying idiot in either election.

So I guess we didn’t need you to tell us after all.

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
If campaigning for the truth, freedom and equality etc. are obsessive compulsive tirades then I make no apology for them:cool: :p
hmmm...stronger hint, perhaps...

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a brain disorder, and more specifically, an anxiety disorder. OCD is manifested in a variety of forms, but is most commonly characterized by a subject's obsessive drive to perform a particular task or set of tasks, compulsions commonly termed rituals.

Psychoneurosis characterized by disturbing, unwanted, anxiety-provoking, intruding thoughts or ideas and repetitive impulses to perform acts that may be considered abnormal, undesirable or distasteful to the patient.

obsessions - recurring unwanted thoughts which are difficult to stop

compulsions - rituals of checking behaviour or repetitive actions which are carried out in an attempt to relieve the thoughts
now connect the dots...:cool:

R

Rich

jsanders said:
Up yours again Rich,

The majority of Americans did NOT vote for that lying idiot in either election.

So I guess we didn’t need you to tell us after all.
Well Jenny it looks like I have to correct you yet again:rolleyes:
Bush was re-elected with a majority, please check your facts before engaging mouth, oh and try and keep a civil tongue when posting here, you're not at home you know!

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Well Jenny it looks like I have to correct you yet again:rolleyes:
Bush was re-elected with a majority, please check your facts before engaging mouth, oh and try and keep a civil tongue when posting here, you're not at home you know!

That is my civil tongue Rich (better than you deserve I might add)

No Rich, I’m sure someone here has explained it to you more than once. Georgy Boy got elected by carrying the majority of votes in the winner take all larger states ( you remember the Electoral College).

In most states if you win the majority of votes ALL of the electoral college votes go to you. So you can easily win with a decided minority.

R

Rich

Tut, tut'

The voting patterns of the 2004 election showed little that commentators would not have predicted in terms of which group voted for which candidate. Those less well off tended to put their faith in John Kerry while those earning above average incomes supported George Bush. Minority groups went with Kerry while Bush received the majority of support from the white voters of America. Union members tended to go for Kerry.
:rolleyes:

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
ok...how about real numbers? True, GWB did win 286 Electoral Votes to John Kerry's 252.

However: (all numbers via US census 2004 & CNN election results)

Total population of the US 2004 = 293,655,404
segment of that which is 15yrs and older = 227,343,000
subtract from that, those in the 15-17 range = 12,821,000
that leaves a total population 18+ years of age = 214,522,000
GWB received 62,040,606 votes in the 2004 Presidential election = 28.92%

NO, Rich. The majority of Americans of voting age did NOT vote for W.

thus ends the math tutorial for the day:D

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 12:22
I also object to jsanders personal abuse, by all means attack a person's views, I have attacked Rich's views in the past, but just because a person has mad stupid etc opinions it does not make them mad stupid etc per se, besides I seem to remember somebody on a previous thread showing GWB did not have a minority vote, perhaps you can prive this to be incorrect.

Brian

R

Rich

Bodisathva said:
ok...how about real numbers? True, GWB did win 286 Electoral Votes to John Kerry's 252.

However: (all numbers via US census 2004 & CNN election results)

Total population of the US 2004 = 293,655,404
segment of that which is 15yrs and older = 227,343,000
subtract from that, those in the 15-17 range = 12,821,000
that leaves a total population 18+ years of age = 214,522,000
GWB received 62,040,606 votes in the 2004 Presidential election = 28.92%

NO, Rich. The majority of Americans of voting age did NOT vote for W.

thus ends the math tutorial for the day:D

Nah,nah, sorry but you've left out the number that actually voted out of the equation. Bush won with an overall majority:rolleyes:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:22
I am one of those who voted for Bush twice. The first time because I felt that Al Gore was a walking, talking joke of a tree-hugger with no credibility in the things he said he did. The second time was a tougher call, but I recall that again I was caught "in the balance" and had to weigh several factors, because both had lots of negatives. In the end, my 2nd vote for GWB was clearly a "lesser of two evils" vote. Sadly, it is only in the last couple of years that the really egregious viewpoints have come out. Knowing in 2004 what I know now, I might have voted differently. But hindsight is 20/20, my political crystal ball is somewhat more myopic.

Still, a very important number isn't the population of the USA or even the number of REGISTERED voters in the USA. What counts is the number of people who actually voted. When considering the actual voters, GWB won by a true majority. When considering the population eligible for voting, GWB still won by a plurality for which the true majority was "abstain."

Those who didn't vote either way can't complain now. However, I DID vote and am now unhappy with the choice. But I recall being unhappy with both alternatives at the time I voted, even if I can't remember the details.

I have no way to know what Sen. Kerry would have done. That's due to the myopicity of my crystal ball again. I can say with some satisfaction that GWB cannot be elected due to term limits.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Thank you Doc for a very clear and mature post reflecting the problems of all democracies, ie We vote for the lesser of the evils as we see it at the time.

Brian

R

Rich

Brianwarnock said:
Thank you Doc for a very clear and mature post reflecting the problems of all democracies, ie We vote for the lesser of the evils as we see it at the time.

Brian
Well I do apologise in advance for being somewhat pedantic here but the United States is not a democracy;)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Well if we are going to get pedantic I did say "we" not "you":rolleyes:

Brian

PS Off to see if Manure contiue to get stuffed in the second half TTFN

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
ok...we're talking around semantics now. What I said was:
The majority of Americans of voting age did NOT vote for W.
Which is not the same as:
number that actually voted out of the equation. Bush won with an overall majority

Personally, I cannot stand the "lesser of two evils" approach, and they haven't yet put a "Hell no! Absolutely NOT!" box on the ballot along with the "yes" box, which means the only way I can cast a negative vote is through non selection.

oh, yeah...and griping everytime I get the chance that we've not seen a really stand out, viable candidate in how many years?

R

Rich

Brianwarnock said:
Brian

PS Off to see if Manure contiue to get stuffed in the second half TTFN
Well let's all hope we see them getting stuffed like that on regular basis:cool: :p

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
I also object to jsanders personal abuse, by all means attack a person's views, I have attacked Rich's views in the past, but just because a person has mad stupid etc opinions it does not make them mad stupid etc per se, besides I seem to remember somebody on a previous thread showing GWB did not have a minority vote, perhaps you can prive this to be incorrect.

Brian

Sorry Brian,

But if he can continue to abuse every aspect of American life and Americans, then I'm going to open ever counter of his with my new favorite one liner.

If Rich would just once lay off his incessant abuse, then I will refrain from personal attacks.

See Brian, I would not stoop to making general bad comments about the British, and in fact, I think personally attacking someone that deserves it is much preferred to making comments about his country.

Enough is way beyond enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom